Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is a destruction build viable?

• 5 posts
    July 19, 2014 5:44 PM EDT

I was looking to get back into skyrim again and I tried to make a destruction mage ages ago but I just seemed to be burning up magika and getting no where. I recently heard of the damage buff by that one potion. Will it make a difference?

• 185 posts
    July 19, 2014 5:48 PM EDT
    You can't go wrong by adding Alchemy
    also, it's completely viable from my experience
    P.S - You should use the Character Building Helpdesk for those things, I would link it for you but I'm mobile
    • 5 posts
    July 19, 2014 5:55 PM EDT

Will that buff work though when I reach higher levels? 

• 185 posts
    July 19, 2014 5:57 PM EDT
    Yep, +100/150% Damage to Destruction make it deadly no matter the level you are
    • 1483 posts
    July 19, 2014 5:58 PM EDT

Yes it will. 75% Fortify Destruction - the highest you can get with just 100 Alchemy and all relevant perks is more than enough to deal with any enemy on Master. For Legendary you can add some Fortify Alchemy gear and Seeker of Shadows from Dragonborn DLC

• 5 posts
    July 19, 2014 6:26 PM EDT

So. Just be sure. I know mages are supposed to be squidgy but when I dish out destruction, it will feel worth it?

• 1483 posts
    July 19, 2014 6:30 PM EDT

Yes  Shameless plug - check out the video in my build (linked on my page). You'll see the difference between enhanced and non-enhanced Destruction magic.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 19, 2014 7:40 PM EDT

I haven't played a build without destruction as my prime damage dealer. (I like mages)

The only downside is that shit gets boring pretty fast in my experience. I don't normally carry more than ten potions (role playing) so loading up on all the Fortify Destruction potions I need sorta breaks that immersion for me. I just enchant my gear with cost reduction. I love the alchemy/enchanting loop for this because I can enchant my ring/necklace with whatever percentage reduction I want and it frees up my other slots, since I often run around without armor or without an item in every slot. I think I settled on 85% for my Telvanni Wizard, which coupled with my dual-cast everything, bad aim, and excessive paralyzing and summons feels decent. I run out of mana after a few minutes of heavy casting, but I'm not fretting over running OOM after every bandit encounter and running like hell (200 health at level 55).

I highly recommend picking up illusion as a secondary means (conjuration tertiary) just because of how boring destruction gets after a while and mixing it up makes things so much better. I'm left sitting there thinking what spells would be more fun to use right now instead of what would be most effective.

• 5 posts
    July 19, 2014 7:55 PM EDT

please link me I cannot find it 

• 1483 posts
    • 7 posts
    July 19, 2014 11:45 PM EDT

Destruction mages actually have some pretty overpowered crowd control ability. With a guaranteed stagger on dual casted AOE spells, such as chain lighting, fireball, and Ice storm. You can stagger-lock groups of enemies, as well as powerful foes like dragons.

• 5 posts
    July 20, 2014 7:47 AM EDT

Thank you. So now I can be like sub zero? Are there any other skill trees you would recommend?