Forums » Elder Scrolls

Starting a New Character

• 27 posts
    July 1, 2014 12:27 AM EDT

Hi All,

I am finally ready to go from Skyrim to Dawnguard and I want to start a new character as well, but I have at least a couple of newbie questions to ask. First, when starting a new character will all my skills and perks that i have built to this point be wiped out to zero or at least base level? Also, will I lose all the quest items, armor sets, and weapons that I have collected. I guess what I'm asking is will my new character be starting from ground zero totally all over again?  Also, will my first character be saved separate from the new one, or will the new character wipe it out?  Thanks for your input as always.

• 12 posts
    July 1, 2014 12:46 AM EDT

When starting a new character everything is reset, all stats go to base level, and all items are lost as if you are playing for the very first time again. You can keep your old character if you keep the save files but if you don't, it's lost forever (a long time).

• 27 posts
    July 1, 2014 3:26 PM EDT
    Thanks Tathlin, that's what I needed to know. Just one more question. I am using some mods in my current game, will those still be active?
    • 12 posts
    July 1, 2014 3:29 PM EDT

Yes, mods stay active until you turn them off.

• 27 posts
    July 2, 2014 11:27 PM EDT

OK, Well I downloaded the Dawnguard DLC and started a new character build, but I'm not sure how or where I start the Dawnguard campaign since I'm starting from scratch

• 27 posts
    July 3, 2014 12:24 PM EDT

Thanks Ben, Yes, I'm playing for the first time. I'm trying the Demon Hunter character build and the recommended armor set is Nordic Carved with an adept hood. Do I have to have the Dragon Born DLC in order to smith the Nordic Carved armor & ge the adept hood?

• 27 posts
    July 5, 2014 2:57 PM EDT

Can I (should I) download the Dragonborn DLC before I have completed the  Dawnguard quest line? Will it cause problems or break the game, or does one follow right after the other?

• 27 posts
    July 5, 2014 3:04 PM EDT

Thanks Hermaeus

• 1 posts
    July 5, 2014 5:49 PM EDT
    You have to be at least level 10 to start Dawnguard. Once you hit level 10 you will either be greeted by an Orc who talks about the Dawnguard, or you will hear "Heard their reforming the Dawnguard in the old fort near Riftin. Might consider joining up myself" from the guards. That will give you the "Dawnguard" quest in your journal, and off you go.