Forums » Elder Scrolls

What's your favorite archetype to play on Master difficulty?

• 30 posts
    June 30, 2014 12:06 PM EDT

Through my countless hours of Skyrim gameplay, and trying all the archetypes on Master, I settled with the fighter/melee archetype being the most fun. Now, while this archetype was the most fun and challenging, I wouldn't say being a tank is the best and most powerful.

On Master level difficulty, I'll list the archetypes from strongest to weakest: 1) Assassin/stealth 2) Mage/magical projectiles 3) Ranger/physical projectile 4) Fighter/melee

This is just my opinion, but I say the mage and assassin type characters are a bit broken. The reason why the assassin type is #1 is because they rely on stealth almost primarily for their success. And Bethesda spiked the stealth perks way too much. Now, yes, I realize we can all pick and choose a much more limited perk spread here, but I personally hate seeing all those other perks going unused. Unfortunate this is the case, but we're kinda left with that option, since Bethesda chose to go too hardcore with assassin perks.

The mage is #2 because of Impact. Bethesda made it too easy for mage players to simply spam Impact.

So, to make the game easier on Master difficulty, choose assassin or mage. But melee/tanks are the most fun for me because the challenge is definitely more surreal.

Any thoughts?

• 30 posts
    June 30, 2014 12:27 PM EDT

Thanks for the reply!

Oh yeah, fighter characters can definitely make it way too easy because of the kinks in non-melee mode. But I was emphasizing which character archetype you'd prefer in fighting mode, without the pre-fab smithing/enchanting glitches.

• 30 posts
    June 30, 2014 12:54 PM EDT

Generally, yes, you do charge and hack your enemies to death. However, with me, there is more specific strategy involved with melee. That doesn't often just mean "charge and hack." For me, when fighting an opponent, I'm usually focusing on the spacing between me and the enemy, and being very mobile trying to keep an advantageous position. It's not really just "stand still and hack, hack, hack." :)

So, I try to maximize my strategy with the minimal quality gear I may have at the time. It may not be how most people play, but I prefer strategy over gear quality.

• 856 posts
    June 30, 2014 1:29 PM EDT

I play many types characters, from the typical archetypes to unusual hybrids. However, my main preference are highly mobile melee fighters that use terrain and positioning to their advantage. For example against multiple opponents I will position my characters so a minimal number of melee combatants can engage them (such as in a door-way). If enemy mages or archers are also present, my character will keep cover (or an opponent) online with them; I love it when an enemy mages or archers wound or more especially kill, their own ally. Moving behind columns for cover, jumping off walls to disengage, using a well timed shout to stagger or avoid an enemy, and so forth, are all part of my style of play.

• 8 posts
    June 30, 2014 1:58 PM EDT

I'd have to agree with much of what the OP said. Specifically in regards to melee fighters/tanks, they tend to take the most time to flesh out in my experience, requiring high armor rating, high block rating, high stamina, etc., to play viably. They tend to become very powerful around lvl 30-40, but it is a long, rough road getting there, whereas with say, a mage, you've got your bases covered very quickly. It takes no time at all to dive in to the basic "conjure atronach to tank, lob fireballs" routine.