Forums » Elder Scrolls

Thief or Assassin?

• 32 posts
    June 28, 2014 5:52 PM EDT

Hi all,

I have a question ~ which character would be more enjoyable to roleplay in your opinion, and assassin or a thief

• 32 posts
    June 28, 2014 6:15 PM EDT

I suppose a background for a dark assassin would be more fun to conjure up than a thief, killing since young, has no one to rely on but themselves, mysterious and deadly ~ And I like the idea of living by a creed! Thanks for the reply Mora :)

• 1483 posts
    June 28, 2014 6:39 PM EDT

In Skyrim it is certainly easier and more organic to roleplay as an assassin. There is one thing that makes it more fun to me to play as a thief. First, you avoid random animals like bears etc. Assassins who can't handle wild animals don't really appeal to me. Second, playing as a thief gives you a reason to delve into all sorts of caves and dungeons - you search for something of value. For assassins it doesn't make sense to investigate a wolf den. Third, assassins need contracts and targets. Thieves don't need a patron or anything like that, you can be completely on your own. Overall though, the game doesn't utilize a lot of potential when it comes to stealthy playstyles IMO.

• June 28, 2014 6:43 PM EDT
    I love the Thief lifestyle- let those fools argue about pointless questions of politics and philosophy; the only thing that truly matters in this world is money and what it can buy.

Assassins do have an advantage in Skyrim because they're more combat focused. It's hard to play a true Thief without taking combat skills or ignoring huge stretches of the game.
    • 1595 posts
    June 28, 2014 7:36 PM EDT

I found both dissatisfying in Skyrim, although I loved the Thieves Guild in Oblivion. The roleplay aspect was greater, what with the Cowl and the dlc and all that.

• September 11, 2014 9:26 PM EDT

Definitly a theif.if you roleplay a auctual non violent theif.its fun.you get a I'm alone in the world feel.and its just cool to steal and be succesfull without violence or much of it.

• 19 posts
    September 12, 2014 1:17 AM EDT

Instinctively, I'd probably say Assassin because... well come on... Assassins man...

But the more I read about thieves and their preference to avoiding violence, I would reckon that a self-imposed challenge, minimizing violence, would be quite fun.