Forums » Elder Scrolls

Least Favorite Crafting Skill

• June 25, 2014 2:13 PM EDT

Alchemy

• 9 posts
    June 25, 2014 2:27 PM EDT

i dislike alchemy i can never find myself enthralled in the making of potions that you can find anywhere i dont know its just not too fun.

• 1217 posts
    June 25, 2014 3:58 PM EDT

I think all it would take to change my mind about Alchemy would be the ability to name your concoctions.

• 30 posts
    June 26, 2014 12:07 AM EDT

Alchemy... definitely alchemy. Sad thing about alchemy is, it's needed for most poison / evil based builds and as i mentioned in a private correspondence once, there's nothing evil about plucking daisies.

That said, i have also more than once mentioned that levelling enchanting naturally will allow one to craft poisons and potions without hoarding too many ingridents, if you know what to look for.

Basic stuff like wheat and blue mountain flowers, which can be found throughout the holds will allow for a decent restore potion. Same logic goes for the restore magicka potions. Lingering damage poisons made from the common ingredients from the marsh areas is another, though in reality, with the dragonborn DLC, it's better to make weakness to poisons concoctions as compared to making the poison itself.

The only other poison as a magic user i can see would be of benefit to say the least would be the weakness to magic or weakness to (x) element, for getting more oomph out of the spells.

• 108 posts
    June 26, 2014 4:20 AM EDT

Enchanting. Although I am now in the middle of an evil playthrough and harvesting souls is as evila s it gets. Also I have all the perks that I never use after my final gear. :-( This is what I love about alchemy and cooking. A good reason to collect more stuff.

• 16 posts
    June 26, 2014 7:20 AM EDT

Alchemy!

It requires you to constantly open ones inventory to actually take / drink / eat the potions (I play on console) and looking for plants all the time is boring as hell….

• 12 posts
    June 26, 2014 9:51 AM EDT

My least favorite is Smithing. It takes too long and I generally play mages anyway. It feels less organic than Enchanting or Alchemy because yo have to actively seek out ingredients instead of just finding them as you go. Alchemy is easily my favorite skill.

• 1595 posts
    June 27, 2014 5:42 AM EDT

I dislike Enchanting in most cases except where it is implemented in a way to emphasise character or used as a replacement for other skills like Twisted's and Ben's Stalhrim Master.

In all other cases I find it to be an empty pursuit in which the goal is more important than the journey. By the time the goal is reached the journey is already over.

• 485 posts
    June 27, 2014 5:43 AM EDT

You hate alchemy, huh? Might wanna find someone to taste your mead for you from now on. 

• 127 posts
    June 28, 2014 11:59 AM EDT

Gameplay or roleplay?

For gameplay I absolutely hate Enchanting, just because it's such a chore to level and it's so repetitive. Fortify Sneak, ring, soul gem.  Fortify sneak, ring, soul gem.  Rinse and repeat.  So boring.

Roleplay-wise, though, I don't like the idea of making loads of Dwarven Bows just so I can make an Orcish Shield.  Shouldn't I as an Orc already know that?