Forums » General Gaming

The joys of gender switching

• 108 posts
    June 23, 2014 11:45 AM EDT

This article made me think Gender switching in WOW. I play a lot of female characters in games, mainly for visual reasons (Savior's hide I am looking at you). Do you always play as your gender? Do you play the other differently?

• 1913 posts
    June 23, 2014 12:27 PM EDT

I hate making male characters.... they almost always end up the same character... a slightly sarcastic guy who is stealthy and talks his way out of situations and looks like Nathan drake... with female characters I get variety.

• 856 posts
    June 23, 2014 12:32 PM EDT

I play about 50/50 male/female characters. In the ES universe, it seems most of my Humans are female, most of my Khajiit are males, Elves are about a 50/50 split, and Argonians are also a 50/50 split (gender matters less, since they may change genders anyways; lore-wise, not game-wise). My first (human) character in games is usually a female with red hair - nearly always a 'warrior'. I revisit this idea often, for example, I usually create a redhead that resembles my wife at some point.

• June 23, 2014 12:34 PM EDT
    I typically play male characters. Can't really say why other than I might subconsciously find them easier to identify with.
    • 1595 posts
    June 23, 2014 12:39 PM EDT

I like to alternate between genders with every character, so if I played as a male last time I'm likely to play as female next. This keeps the game fresh for me. Like Rune, I too have a Nord ranger kit that I revisit from time to time. In most cases I find that if a character uses magic I'm most likely to make it a female.

• 585 posts
    June 23, 2014 2:22 PM EDT
    I only play female characters if I'm basing it on either on an game character or a RP idea. I only play male characters (a part from the listed exceptions) because they are easier to identify with.
  • Jen
    • 88 posts
    June 23, 2014 2:43 PM EDT

If I have the option I usually play female characters, it's more fun for me and I find it easier to role-play. But I will play a male character once in awhile to switch things up.

• 75 posts
    September 3, 2014 10:13 PM EDT

I always play male characters, they're just easier for me to connect with, as, excepting Skyrim where I was a Khajiit, I usually just make visual representations of myself to feel like I'm actually there in the game. I'm not someone who finds videogame characters (unless the graphics are exactly the same as real life) hot or not.

• 209 posts
    September 4, 2014 5:31 AM EDT
    I actually have no solid answer as to why I can't play as female characters. I must assume then, that it is some sort of subconscious connection with the character.
    • 700 posts
    September 4, 2014 11:14 AM EDT

I play a woman when the coin lands on heads.  

• 11 posts
    September 4, 2014 1:43 PM EDT

I play as a male just because I can relate more to the character. I've never made a female character because they will just end up being a female version of my male thief. I tried in Fallout New Vegas and she ended up flirting with every character possible in the game.