Forums » General Gaming

Scariest area in a Non-Horro game for you?

• 1441 posts
    June 16, 2014 10:08 PM EDT
    Simply put, in many non horror games, there are those ares where, even though the main game itself may not be (too) scary, the are just feels....off, like, you have the "I have a bad feeling about this" sensation coursing through you. Well, I would like to know what area, or areas, in non horror games do you find unnerving. For me, I have two, well, techically three, since two are from the same game. Spoilers for Thief Deadly Shadows and KOTOR 2.

Alright, first up, and I'm sure you'll all agree with me, is Shalebridge Cradle, where do I begin? First off, it's a run down orphanage, and former asylum, both of which are creepy in their own rights. Secondly, some old hag killed one of the children there, and then vanished. Let's see, ah, and you have to console the ghosts of DEAD CHILDREN, which is both scary, and heart breaking. One of the guards kept a little girl's dress, which you must burn (and I don't wanna know what's on it), the fact there are wandering inmates hovering about, and when you have to go into the kids pasts, they turn into doctors. For a non horror game, that place was pretty dang freaky.

Next, is the streets after your Trial. Basically, the true murderer Keeper something or other, has sent his horde of demon ninja things to hunt you down. You must get to your hideout/swanky apartment. When you try and find your main fence, you find several demons leaving, his dead body, and his place has been ransacked, I spent so much time runnin from, hiding from, and flashing these dudes, all while suppressing screams of terror. But it gets worse, when you get to your hideout, it turns out not only did they expect you to come, but, they're there WAITING for you.

The third, from KOTOR 2, is Malichor V. Let's see, not only is it a dead nexus of the Force, but it was also the sight of one of the bloodiest battles of the Mandolorian Wars, of which your character took a part in. The place is teeming with broken hulls of ships, the orbit is surrounded by battle debris, there is a Gravity Generator set to destroy the planet at a moment's notice, oh, and there's an ancient Sith Academy there. The cool thing about this place is, when you get to the Sith Academy, Sith assassins decloak....and KNEEL to you.
    • 4 posts
    June 16, 2014 10:52 PM EDT

The Asylum in the Thief reboot tbh. 

• 1441 posts
    June 16, 2014 10:57 PM EDT
    Please tell me it's an HD Shalebridge...please, I don't want ghost children. Ghost children always mean bad things.
    • 4 posts
    June 16, 2014 11:44 PM EDT

It's not HD Shalebridge. I forgot about Shalebridge. Shalebridge is scary as hell... 
    But the asylum is just like weird scary. 

• 1441 posts
    June 16, 2014 11:45 PM EDT
    Like, high on a acid, trippin balls scary, or disturbing visions, dissapearing bodies kinda weird scary?
    • 4 posts
    June 16, 2014 11:50 PM EDT

It was like, unexpected scary. It was just soooo different then everything else the initial shock and the shock halfway through were just crazy. It was nothing special, just freaky, kinda like your KOTOR 2 kinda unexpected thing, just less dead kids and more deformed primal monsters that are made from the essence of your lover/sister (I still can't tell what Erin is). 
    It reminded me kind of Outlast and the generator part. 
    Moira's Asylum was one of the few good areas in that game though. 

• 8 posts
    June 17, 2014 12:25 AM EDT

I thought the majority of HL1 (NOT HL2) was pretty scary considering that it wasn't really a horror game per se, especially at the end when you have to go through the portal. Also there were parts of Dark Souls that made me just want to sit at firelink shrine and never leave, and I'm not even talking about the difficulty. New Londo Ruins freaked me out, those ghosts were just perfect, they could walk through walls and everything. You never knew when something was going to reach through the walls and skewer you.

Also, another DS one, the Tomb of Giants. The extreme darkness was almost unbearably claustrophobic, I was only able to make it through after resigning myself to the fact that something absolutely terrible was going to happen to me, and I might as well get it over with. I was right .

EDIT: Oh and +1 for the KOTOR 2 reference, I first played it when I was much younger and man, Peragus terrified me lol. It was probably the first "serious" game I had ever played, I just wasn't really prepared for it. All those bodies, that ambiance, and all those holotapes (yes I viewed every one) really built up the suspense. Oh, and invisible assassins. Ah, nostalgia.

• 1 posts
    June 17, 2014 12:30 AM EDT
    Fallout 3 Dun which building. I was not ready plus I was wearing a surround sound headset so that didn't help at all.
    • 485 posts
    June 17, 2014 12:31 AM EDT
    Im gonna say deep, dark water areas of any kind. Worst experience had to be exploring the ocean depths in my submarine in FF VII, only to be ambushed by an immensely powerful hidden boss within 5 minutes.
    • 4 posts
    June 17, 2014 12:41 AM EDT

Yep, changing my answer to this. Especially Monster Hunter 3, when you are just swimming and the Lagicarus(sp?) comes out of nowhere and decides you have to flee. 

• 668 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:16 AM EDT

Basically any vault in any Fallout game because I know I am going to be stuck there until Jesus comes back...and, since Jesus is fictitious character, I better pack a lunch. Navigation is not my strong suit on any given day and well, let's just be nice and say Fallout maps are about as useful as a Playboy full of Roseanne snapshots.

• 1441 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:18 AM EDT
    Could you please not call. Jesus fictions, it's kinda offensive to religious people. Granted, in the Fallout a Universe, maybe Jesus didn't exist, sadly.
    • 668 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:24 AM EDT

Not trying to be mean to anyone, but well, I have the right to my beliefs (or lack there-of) as well as anyone else.

• 1441 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:28 AM EDT
    Fair enough. So, if you were in the Fallout Universe, what would you do?
    • 668 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:32 AM EDT

Probably die of starvation in some vault somewhere. :P

But, at least I would have a really cool mohawk so I could be a fancy corpse. I would also do my best to tame a giant rad-scorpion and make it my mount. There aren't any ponies in the Fallout Uni.

• 1441 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:35 AM EDT
    There are with mods....
    • 668 posts
    June 18, 2014 12:39 AM EDT

Not on Playstation.

We just recently got a gaming computer and my bf hogs it playing Smite and LoL. I never get to play on it. They seriously have a Pony mod???

• 11 posts
    June 18, 2014 1:41 AM EDT

The Asylum or graveyard in Bioshock infinite and the wasteland in front of the white house in fallout 3.

• 78 posts
    June 18, 2014 3:39 AM EDT

My first time playing skyrim at 3 in the morning and going in that ruin at ivarstead. I didnt know what to expect. I had the impression that a draugr was going to reveal itself just behind me and cut my head.

• 133 posts
    June 18, 2014 10:59 AM EDT

Well there are other historical records of his existence, even if you don't believe his teachings, but that's beside the point. My scariest was first fighting ghouls in Fallout 3. They charged me, and I had three 10mm bullets left and an almost broken police baton. Thank you stimpaks! 

• 127 posts
    June 28, 2014 11:11 PM EDT

For me it was, somewhat bizarrely, on the Sims 3.  I have no idea how it happened, but all of a sudden the screen had around five ghosts appear out of nowhere in my sim's kitchen and I didn't recognise any of them from anywhere.  So I shut it down, uninstalled and got rid of it.  It still freaks me out to this day.

• July 28, 2014 12:29 PM EDT

Dark sector.

• 145 posts
    July 28, 2014 1:24 PM EDT

That graveyard was creepy..

But that ghost woman WOULD NOT DIE.

Took me forever to get through that part.

• 13 posts
    July 28, 2014 4:11 PM EDT

I was really jumpy today in a vampire cave (skyrim). Pitch Black, and I didn't have any torches or illumination spells. Their idle lines are really creepy...