Forums » Elder Scrolls

Music of Skyrim ~

• 32 posts
    June 14, 2014 5:48 PM EDT

I'm sure all of us at one point or another, whilst roaming the province of Skyrim have either enjoyed or been simply mesmerised by Skyrim's haunting music collection. Composed by Jeremy Soule, soundtracks such as Tundra and Standing Stones really make Skyrim that much more of an adventure than a simple game. Though I doubt you could call Skyrim simple!

Personally my favourite OST would have to be as said above Standing Stones (My Achilles heel is male choirs) or either One They Fear (Nothing better than killing a dragon with some intense music playing in the background to make you really feel like a hero).

What I was wondering, to any other music enthusiasts out there is, What is your favourite song? Or if not, Would you prefer no music at all, would you rather enjoy the sounds of Skyrim?  

• 700 posts
    June 14, 2014 6:07 PM EDT

Far Horizons, Sovngarde, and Secunda are my favorites.  I tried playing with music off once.  It was the worst half hour of Skyrim I've ever played.  

And suddenly I'm motivated to play Skyrim again.

• June 14, 2014 6:28 PM EDT

I like the original soundtracks and added some more to the collection so as to keep some variety. My original favourite is the Dusk one:

Then there are my custom, got this for dragon battles:

This for exploring snow fields / Forgotten Vale

Exploring the Reach / open fields

Exploring Dungeons / Ruins

And this 10 minute soundtrack for the Forgotten Vale + Dwemer Ruins, works extremely well for immersion.

• 32 posts
    June 14, 2014 6:47 PM EDT

Same, I tried playing with the music off for once to see what it was like... never again. I feel like the music is Skyrm and without it, it just wouldn't be the same. Glad there's someone else who enjoys a bit of Jeremy Soule :)

• 32 posts
    June 14, 2014 6:50 PM EDT

I also love Forgotten Vale, the ending especially. When Dawngaurd was released I was super excited. And when I eventually made it to the vale and heard this lovely tune, I swear I nearly had a heart attack on the spot! 

I also know that there's some mods that allow you to put some of your own music into the game, I might give that a whirl, a bit of Two Steps From Hell is always good for a cinematic experience!

• TED
    • 45 posts
    June 14, 2014 6:57 PM EDT

Hi, Billy Mays here to say that as much as I liked Skyrim's soundtrack, I got bored of it eventually.  Now I turn the music completely off and I've got to say, I enjoy it a lot better that way.  I feel more immersed into the game itself by listening to the nature sound-clips.  On occasions, I would check through my window to see where a bird was chirping.

If I had to choose my favorite composition from Jeremy Soule, it'd have to be Caprice.  It was originally part of Morrowind, but was later added in the Dragonborn DLC, along with 7 or 8 other tracks from the same source.  Being introduced to the Elder Scrolls by Morrowind, it was definitely a nostalgic feeling.

• 1595 posts
    June 14, 2014 6:58 PM EDT

I played Skyrim using Oblivion's soundtrack once. It works too

• 32 posts
    June 14, 2014 7:04 PM EDT

I know what you mean about nostalgia, a song in the Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Wind Guide You, has a similar melody to that of Minstrels Lament from Oblivion. It made me suddenly want to unpack Oblivion and play it once more! :)