Forums » Elder Scrolls

Favorite villain?

• 13 posts
    June 9, 2014 11:32 AM EDT

Title says it all. Do you have a favorite villain? Are there any that your character would have sided with, given the chance?

My personal favorite was Mercer Frey. He seemed much smarter than Karliah, who only produced one little vial of poison after twenty years of hiding. Also the way he seems to be playing with you. He leaves his plans out spread out on his desk, and Karliah comments how he's taunting you in the dwemer ruin. I think every character I play the thieves guild questline with would have joined Mercer, given the chance.

I also like Harkon and Miraak, but I would only want to join them on evil characters.

• 1217 posts
    June 9, 2014 11:37 AM EDT

There wasn't enough interaction with Harkon or Miraak for me to really get into them as villains. Mercer Frey really ticked me off. I loved hating him, and I enjoyed taking him out. I thought he beat me the first time I fought him, because he turned invisible right as I fired a bolt with paralysis poison, and he just stayed gone. Then I realized he was invisible and paralyzed somewhere. It was fun smacking around in the water til I found him.

• 700 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:16 PM EDT

Alduin is my favorite.  I didn't find any of Skyrim's antagonists to be very compelling, but I did enjoy the stories around them, Alduin's stories being my favorite.  

• 490 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:40 PM EDT

Malkoran. I remember first running into those shades and shitting my pants. Then when his shade spawns when you kill the Breton body? Crazy fun fight!

• 1217 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:42 PM EDT

Those shades really were intimidating. I kind of wish they'd been given strength to match it.

• 1441 posts
    June 9, 2014 2:09 PM EDT
    Same, plus, Merced was played by Stephen Russel, AKA Garret! Also, never trust a member of House Frey....
  • Ben
    • 21 posts
    June 9, 2014 2:30 PM EDT

Although there wasn't a big boss battle, I really liked Astrid.  Probably because it evoked conflicting emotions.  On the one hand you hate her because she's obviously a control nut.  On the other hand I felt sympathy because it was very obvious her world was crumbling all around her and there was nothing should could do about it.

Mercer Frey is a close 2nd.  Only reason he isn't #1 is because I loathed him from the start to the finish...so much that every NPC voiced by him I avoid.

• 41 posts
    June 10, 2014 1:36 PM EDT
    Does Ancano count? If so, then he's my favourite. Of all of the College Mages, he figured out how to harness it's power, though he didn't use it for good. If he doesn't count, then Arch-Curate Vyrthur. He is the cause of Harkon's obsession with the prophecy, so he deserves some credit.
    • 13 posts
    June 11, 2014 11:33 AM EDT

I like both of them. I also liked the twist with Vyrthur; it wasn't the falmer controlling Vyrthur, but rather Vyrthur controlling the falmer. I felt for the guy when he says he was doing all of this because he felt Auri-El betrayed him. Ancano didn't really have depth, but his power hungry attitude was refreshing.

• 13 posts
    June 11, 2014 11:37 AM EDT

The lore surrounding Alduin is interesting. Playing the dragonborn DLC makes me wish that there was an option for the character to become a dragon priest like Miraak did.

• 13 posts
    June 11, 2014 6:04 PM EDT

Mine was also Mercer Frey. The fight with him was much more memorable than any other antagonist, for me that is. That and to me he was like the Joffery of Skyrim. You loved to hate him. Even after I killed him I still hated/loved him.

• June 13, 2014 4:16 PM EDT

Molag ball,even though he's not really introduced for long,you can tell that he's a villain.

• 13 posts
    June 13, 2014 4:41 PM EDT

Yes. I also love the voice acting for Molag! That evil laugh is so sexy...