Forums » Elder Scrolls

What draws you to a specific race?

• 966 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:05 PM EDT

Nibenese would be slightly better with magic, diplomacy and bartering while still decent at melee and such.

Colovians would be stronger, taller, more focused on melee and marksmanship, but also fairly good at magic. I wonder what the Colovian special ability would be...Maybe something that doubles armour rating (discipline) for awhile, even going over the armour cap.

• 966 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:20 PM EDT

I like the idea of double AR and a large increase in critical hit chance and/or damage.

• 1483 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:25 PM EDT

Speaking of the Colovians, you may want to hear this 

• 1483 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:38 PM EDT

Ha! Yeah, it was a bit weird. Also reminded me of Fallout 3...  Valenwood is cool though! 

• 966 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:42 PM EDT

So she killed how many? Sounds like just a few, as if the Colovians actually cared about that tree.

• 490 posts
    April 24, 2014 12:46 PM EDT

I usually get drawn by a race due to the surrounding lore such as creation myths, history of the race, culture, and overall attitudes towards everyone else. It is so hard to choose one specific race that I always "go to" but I find myself, years after first getting introduced to Elder Scrolls, drawn to Orsimer, Altmer, Redguard, and especially Imperial.

I also tend to put myself into each character I make in some way as I want to RP with the decisions I would make, so Imperial, Redguard, and Breton have been some of my most used races in that order.

• 1483 posts
    April 24, 2014 2:34 PM EDT

Alduin, it's like that Gallic village in Asterix and Obelix 

• April 24, 2014 3:52 PM EDT
    That's awesome!
    • 1441 posts
    April 25, 2014 11:08 PM EDT
    One trick I found is to slide all face changing thingsa to the middle, and all color (minus eye and hair), to the left. I made a pretty good looking Imperial
    • 404 posts
    April 27, 2014 3:14 AM EDT
    I like orcs and I made my character based on my Irish and German heritage as a Nord. Currently I am a High Elf for a challenge I started.
    • 404 posts
    April 27, 2014 3:18 AM EDT
    I am part Irish in my Mom's side and part German in my dad's side
    • 404 posts
    April 28, 2014 4:38 PM EDT
    I like them too.
    • 87 posts
    April 28, 2014 5:14 PM EDT

I like Orcs as well, just never played one before.

• 149 posts
    April 28, 2014 5:58 PM EDT

During my first playthroughs of Oblivion, I was either an Imperial or Breton. I didn't like any of the non-human races - I found the thought of playing as them uncomfortably weird (for some reason). 

Some time much, much later I decided I was sick of playing warrior-type characters and wanted to try something new, namely stealth. In an act of curious experimentation, I decided to be an Argonian for two reasons: first, they had skill buffs and attributes good for the kind of character I wanted to be, and second because they were the only other non-human race I kinda sorta liked.

In time, I discovered that I loved playing the game stealthily. Moreover, my Argonian character started to grow on me. The more I learned about their race's lore, the more and more I liked them. Their portrayal as mysterious, slow to trust and hard to know, appealed to me. I found that while Imperials and Bretons were characters I could relate to in appearance, Argonians I could relate to in personality and temperament.

As a result, my obsession with Argonians has only continued to grow ever since.

Though I still don't like many of the other races, for whatever reason.