Forums » Elder Scrolls

What draws you to a specific race?

• April 22, 2014 5:01 PM EDT

Obviously some people might choose a race for RP purposes, or Build purposes.

What I want to know is, if you have a favourite race, what draws you to them?
    Mine are Argonian and Khajiit, pretty much for the principle, I like animals.

• 1217 posts
    April 22, 2014 5:07 PM EDT

I prefer Argonian first, because I'm a human, so if a game gives me a chance to play a non-human, I'm always interested in it. Plus I used to use Lizardmen in Warhammer, so I've already got that affinity for eh cold blooded. After that, Redguard, for being able to make the character closest in appearance to my own.

• April 22, 2014 5:52 PM EDT
    My favorite is Bosmer. I started from Oblivion so I've seen how they got degraded to a "joke". I like them because they're not overused, mostly neutral(I have more RP options with them) and great archers(I love archery, altho I rarely play them as sneak archers, and probably never will again...) plus their affinity to Nature and canibalism added a spice that other races didn't have.(apart from Orcs, my second favorite!)
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 22, 2014 7:48 PM EDT

The Dunmer are my favorite race. What draws me to them is their lore, culture, roleplay options and even their appearence and their relationship with the other races.

My second and third favorite races are, respectively, the Altmer and the Redguards. I like them for pretty much the same reasons why I like the Dunmer, with the exception of a few points and the addition of a few others. (Like the fact that the Redguards are the only worthy humans).

• 87 posts
    April 22, 2014 8:15 PM EDT

Me, my favorites are the Nords and Argonians. I love lizards of any kind. They're interesting, seeing all their different abilities. Nords because they are just amazing. They have a deep culture in different deities. 

• 93 posts
    April 22, 2014 9:03 PM EDT

Nords seem to fit easiest into the story.

Altmer just seem so beautiful and regal and I find lots of RP possibilities for them.

And Orcs are just COOL.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    April 22, 2014 9:07 PM EDT

I am of largely Scandinavian descent which is what first drew me into using Nords. Unlike Thiago, I find that I relate to being human much more strongly and feel weird being a fantastical creature, it's just much easier to RP as something similar to myself. Plus, I just love the idea of being a badass viking.

Back in the Morrowind days they had some really robust stats and some fantastic special abilities, so that just cemented them as a favorite. Then Oblivion came along and they continued to have great combat stats plus a nice little boost to Restoration, my most used magic school. They also retained some excellent special abilities.

I have to admit that I've been a bit bothered by the relatively lackluster special ability of theirs in Skyrim and some odd shifts in skill bonuses, and their portrayal as racist, psychotic, magic-fearing jerks, but I have been playing Nords for so long that they are still my most used race. I like to play them how I have always imagined them, a race of people who are great seafarers, strong warriors, inquisitive explorers and fine craftsmen.

• 3 posts
    April 22, 2014 9:42 PM EDT

I prefer Humanoid races but mostly Imperial and Nord because I roleplay so realisticaly down to the hair. Although I have made a character of every race I do prefer those two. The other race that I like is Redguard because I think that is the race made of up expert sailors, and I love sailing and being on boats.

• 622 posts
    April 22, 2014 9:45 PM EDT
    I always play Argonians first. Why? Cause they're awesome. And whyy would I want to play a boring human in a fantasy world anyway? :P
    • 622 posts
    April 22, 2014 9:52 PM EDT
    Shut up :C
    • 1441 posts
    April 22, 2014 10:01 PM EDT
    Bretons. There's just something about the whole "descended from half humans, half elves" deal that I like.
  • April 22, 2014 10:05 PM EDT
    I like Argonians. But not to play them. Maybe read, view others play them or even have as a Follower. I think I just don't KNOW how to play as a Argonian, and I even have some cool builds and back stories for them... *exhale*

How you guys/gals do it?
  • April 23, 2014 6:41 AM EDT

I'm of part Scandinavian descent ( Only recently discovered) so I know where you're coming from, I love Nords as well, but the only stipulation I have with them as being on console, they all look old af.

I can make a real good looking Nord, in good lighting, then when he leaves the decently lighted area, his face looks like a mangled scrotum.

• April 23, 2014 6:43 AM EDT

Same reasoning with me, I normally do a khajiit/argonian first, then reverse it for my next playthrough ( so khajiit/argonian depending on who my first playthrough was with) it's fantasy!

If I want to walk around as a lizard in a wedding dress, then I damn well shall!

• 56 posts
    April 23, 2014 8:07 AM EDT
    I naturally gravitate to humans (you dont say!). More specifically, nords. Ive always played female characters, and theyre the race that I am capable of making a beautiful one. Imperials make second. Ive managed to make a beautiful one once. Unfortunately Ive never been able to do it again. So I stuck with nords.

I wouldve liked to make elven, but I am biased by Warcraft elves. The most ugly elven female you can make on wow is still more beautiful than TES elves.

If I were to make a male character, I'd make an Orc.
  • April 23, 2014 8:15 AM EDT

I play gender based on the roleplay I wish to do, I like all the races but i have preferences for what character I'm running, unless its my first play of a game, then I'll pick my favourite,

"Ive managed to make a beautiful one once. Unfortunately Ive never been able to do it again" that made me chuckle :D

Male characters need a lot of work to be handsome, especially bretons, with their football heads.

• 56 posts
    April 23, 2014 8:36 AM EDT
    I didnt give a damn to RP and such when I first got my hands on Skyrim. I mean, its biggest selling point is, be whoever you wanna be, right? Who gives a fk about racial powers, starting skills, etc. Youll still be able to level them up anyway.

The only build Ive played in this site is the Arcane Archer, and even that was portrayed as a female.

Another advantage of Orcs is that you can make the ugliest one ever and its appearance will still be overshadowed by its bad-assery. :-D
  • Tim
    • 89 posts
    April 23, 2014 10:25 PM EDT

my trick is just covering them in hair and beards and warpaint and then doing my best to shape things well. Or just be a female, they can look excellent with very little work. I think compared to some of the other races like Imperial or Dunmer both genders of Nord can look pretty young

• April 23, 2014 10:36 PM EDT
    Now that you mention it. I sometimes find it strange how some Nord guys have sons that look older than them.... Hell even female look younger than most males(even "young" males) female Nords on the other hand, can and do look the part, altho they always look very young(Alvor could be hi's wife's dad!)

But maybe it's just me
  • April 24, 2014 6:09 AM EDT

Altmer, followed by Argonians and Redguards. I like the Altmer's culture and history, not to mention how exotic and lordly they look. The Argonians come in at #2 because I just like dinosaurs, and they're the closest thing to dinosaurs TES lets you play as. And finally, the Redguards, just because their history and culture intrigue me to no end, especially the section on Satakal in The Monomyth.

• 2 posts
    April 24, 2014 6:52 AM EDT

Bretons. For me, Bretons are the way to go. I always sway to using them as they have talent for arcane arts (which I use frequently) and can look very attractive, making great Seductress' & Bards.

• April 24, 2014 9:33 AM EDT

I found myself liking the Altmer because...well...I find myself acting like one. Besides that their Lore is close to the Chinese, well close enough anyways. I act regal, lord like, I actually AM Noble born in my country, but the hierarchy has died along time ago, also I tend to get butthurt sometimes. Yeap, I'm an Altmer, whether I like it or not.

• 6 posts
    April 24, 2014 11:41 AM EDT
    My favorite race would have to be nords because they are just soo badass.
    • 966 posts
    April 24, 2014 11:44 AM EDT

Colovians. I shouldn't have to explain why.

• 966 posts
    April 24, 2014 11:53 AM EDT

I very much agree. If they're going to do that, they should at least remove the Nibenese entirely and let Colovians become the only 'Imperial'.

Puzzled why they haven't made them 2 different races though, they very much are.