Forums » Elder Scrolls

How to deal with dragons with no ranged weaponry

• 1 posts
    April 20, 2014 5:54 PM EDT

Hello everybody I've been wondering this a while and am just asking for your opinion. Lately I've been playing the Hashashin build (no armor, dual wielding, alteration, no ranged) and have been wondering how to deal with dragons. I've been having a lot of trouble doing so, generally just letting Lydia take the brunt of the damage while I hit it from the side. 

Anyways, thanks!

• 185 posts
    April 20, 2014 5:56 PM EDT

Become ethereal to avoid dragon breath until he goes to the ground, Strongest flesh spell and then poisoned,dual-wielding madness.

• 19 posts
    April 20, 2014 5:57 PM EDT

You should probably get the Dragonrend shout, since it forces dragons to land.
    Since you're playing without armor: don't stand near the mouth, but attack near the tail/wings, that way you'll avoid the painfull 'bite attack'.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    April 21, 2014 2:17 PM EDT

wait for it to land...

• 856 posts
    April 21, 2014 3:06 PM EDT

I often play characters with no or a weak ranged weapon/skill. In those cases, I find a clearing and wait for it to land. To avoid its breath weapon, I dodge, find cover, of if I use shouts, 'Become Ethereal' or I interrupt its shout (breath attack) with a fast-recharging shout of my own (such as 'Clear Skies' or 'Throw Voice'). If you do use shouts, I recommend to hit it with 'Marked for Death' while it's hovering or perched - so when it does land, often it will never take flight again.

• 1483 posts
    April 21, 2014 3:10 PM EDT

Against dragon breath - Lesser Ward. It will nullify damage of even Legendary Dragon shouts. In melee, I suggest putting a few Marked for Death on it prior to engaging, if you want to play it safe. Slow Time helps too, bashing as well...

• 95 posts
    April 23, 2014 3:43 AM EDT

The main goal is to not die till it lands. Use ward spells, become ethereal, have high resistances or high absorb (50 from atronach stone and 30 from atronach perk. If you're a vampire and have necromage then it will be 100. Or have the atronach stone + the Breton's greater power.). Later, use the dragonrend shout...There are many ways to deal with them.

• 108 posts
    April 23, 2014 4:41 AM EDT

But you stagger with the ward method correct?

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 7:15 AM EDT

When they land? Yes, but it doesn't interrupt the casting 

• April 23, 2014 8:25 AM EDT

Ahhh the Hashashin, I have done like 5 playthroughs with it, probably my favourite build, so good choice sir, and I just used a bow anyway, until I got my shouts. you dont have to play the build by the letter :)

• 108 posts
    April 23, 2014 11:34 AM EDT

No I meant, when your ward is hit by the dragon breath. I really should use wards.

• 1483 posts
    April 23, 2014 3:50 PM EDT

It is not destroyed for you to experience stagger. Dragon breath is considered a collection of small magic attacks none of them powerful enough to destroy a ward