Forums » Elder Scrolls

Have you ever gone "Back to Basics"?

• April 12, 2014 6:14 AM EDT

After trying many illustrious builds from this site, with complex (for some people) play-styles, intricate role play and amazing lore background, have you ever just gone back to basic build?

For example, Last build I played was an argiebargie nightblade, who was only allowed to invisibility once per dungeon, and a total of 3 sneak dagger attacks, was very rewarding making me think about my next action, but after he got retired (Being clubbed by a giant leaving him crippled) I thought extensively about who's build I would play next, then scrolling through sliders on character creation, I thought about doing a build of just going back to basics, like a warrior who literally smashes everything and dies frequently (my very first play through).

Has anyone else concidered this or perhaps done it? I think it's rather cool to go back to your roots once in a while :)

• 15 posts
    April 12, 2014 9:38 AM EDT

What a coincidence I started a stereotypical Nord Dragonborn the other day! Axe and Shield/Bow, Light Armor with minor use of Restoration. After avoiding the MQ with most of my playthrough lately, im into the Dragonborn spirit again. 

• 485 posts
    April 12, 2014 10:07 AM EDT
    I tried but I can never really go back to basics now that I know so many short cuts and tricks to make my life easier.

I tried a simple sword n board (more like club n board) warrior, and before long ideas started forming and it evolved into something crazy.
  • April 12, 2014 6:46 PM EDT

Yeah it's just happened on my Assassin, gone from slicing n dicing, to using runes, firing an arrow past the rune, silent rolling past them as they run past me then walk off to "destruction level is..."

• 95 posts
    April 16, 2014 7:35 AM EDT

Creating and playing amazing and complex builds is a big fun. But I had to realize in every game that after a while it ruins the game if you calculate too much and the game transforms into maths lessons with nice graphics. In this case it's always good to re-play the game with a simple character, as you did when you didn't know tha game, and just enjoy the story and the landscape :)

• 2 posts
    April 16, 2014 1:40 PM EDT

I often go back to basics. When I play so many different characters, I will eventually get bored, so I'll go back to a simpler character, like a warrior or thief, and just have fun with it.