Forums » Elder Scrolls

Returning to Skyrim

• 33 posts
    March 22, 2014 12:22 AM EDT

I'm having trouble going back to Skyrim after playing the ESO beta. It just feels…well…outdated? I can't wait for next Saturday to scratch my ESO itch. Anyone else feel the same way? For the Covenant! For Daggerfall!

• March 22, 2014 12:52 AM EDT

I find Skyrim getting boring. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 22, 2014 1:22 AM EDT

I actually felt the opposite.

• 1913 posts
    March 22, 2014 2:01 AM EDT
    Lonely gaming for life, screw mmo's :P
    • 75 posts
    March 22, 2014 2:04 AM EDT

+1

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 22, 2014 5:00 AM EDT

After a while, the other people become more of a nuisance than anything.

• 33 posts
    March 22, 2014 5:32 AM EDT

ESO creativity: There are different armour styles for each race. A different one for light, medium and heavy. You also have unique armour sets - all of which can be mixed and matched. The character creation gives me an impressive amount of options to customise my character. 

ESO graphics: Overhate, the graphics for ESO are far superior if you have a computer capable of running it effectively. The characters and environments in ESO look far more detailed than the ones in Skyrim (unless your PC is a brick). 

ESO as a MMO: I liked the social aspect of the game, I enjoyed teaming up to overcome a foe I couldn't beat on my own. I liked being able to role-play in chat as my character. 

Regarding my word choice of outdated…personally, I have been playing Skyrim for a long time now, and there is only so many times I can complete the same quests. I enjoyed roleplaying in Skyrim, but, I'm looking forward to all sorts of exciting and new adventures in ESO. 

• 163 posts
    March 22, 2014 5:55 AM EDT

Indeed

• 33 posts
    March 22, 2014 6:34 AM EDT

I'm happy that you're getting a new computer! It sounds awesome :)

In terms of play styles, there are plenty of skill trees in the game that can be mixed and matched to create many unique builds. Plus with the subscription fee, the game will continue to grow as it will continually be updated. 

I have never played WOW, I'm playing ESO because I'm an Elder Scrolls fan. So I won't compare the two. I will just judge the game from how much I enjoy it. 

• 33 posts
    March 22, 2014 3:46 PM EDT

+1

• 77 posts
    March 23, 2014 4:16 AM EDT

While I've probably played Skyrim to death for myself, spending hundreds of hours on tens of characters, I think it's good for that very reason. TES games are great because of their depth, MMOs are trash because of their lack of it. I played WoW for so many years that I learned how the world was created and how it was all one big facade. ESO's beta and all the coverage I've seen of it has played like a shallow game that really wants to capitalize on Skyrim's success. Skyrim is older, yes, but it has much more artistic depth than any MMO ever has. I only hope that ESO's Tamriel hasn't hurt Bethesda Softwork's creativity in creating the province in TES VI.

• 33 posts
    March 29, 2014 2:10 AM EDT

I have not played WoW, but I'm curious when you say 'it was all one big facade.' What did you  mean by that? Have you participated in any of the Betas? I would not call the game shallow, and would like you to justify that comment. In what way is ESO shallow? What gives Skyrim more artistic depth? I would you to justify what you have said 

• 33 posts
    March 29, 2014 3:23 AM EDT

also you say "TES games are great because of their depth, MMOs are trash because of their lack of it." I'm only talking about ESO here. What is lacking in ESO when compared to other Elder Scrolls titles? 

• 1595 posts
    March 29, 2014 1:34 PM EDT

I think I know where Sean is coming from. I haven't played any of the ESO beta but if the claim that it's "The Elder Scrolls in an MMO space" is as accurate as Star Wars The Old Republic's claim "it's KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7", then I'll be in for a disappointment. SW TOR was ok but had no where near the depth of the original KotOR.

• 32 posts
    March 29, 2014 1:41 PM EDT

Not nearly as much as Skyrim. The spellcasting doesn't feel like traditional Elder Scrolls at all. That bit they took the MMO too far on. I also don't like that there are classes. Conjuration is essentially only available to one class, Sorcerers. However, if you can get past all that it's a great game. I played three beta sessions and I plan on using my five days of early access to the fullest.

• 32 posts
    March 29, 2014 1:44 PM EDT

I enjoy both equally. Skyrim honestly offers a million times more customization than ESO but I plan on enjoying ESO for the lore and the... We'll call it unique take on character building. Not fond of classes, but whatever.

• 106 posts
    March 29, 2014 4:10 PM EDT

I got a question. How's the freedom of the game? When I think of ESO I imagine that I'll be able to say "yo let's see whats up in Black Marsh" then "How's summerset doing?" I've heard that its not as free as you would think, rather its quite restricted. Is this true? 

• 32 posts
    March 29, 2014 6:08 PM EDT

You can just about go where you want, but areas are still leveled. So if you explore too much at a low level you'll die a lot.

• 106 posts
    March 29, 2014 6:51 PM EDT

thats cool

• 32 posts
    March 29, 2014 7:46 PM EDT

Cyrodiil exploration is a lot more linear, though. When you're in Cyrodiil, if you're like level 5, you get a "boost" so you can even contend with someone who's say, level 20. That makes sieges a lot more fun when you can actually feel like you're contributing at a low level. I imagine the exploration is the same.

• 189 posts
    March 29, 2014 7:52 PM EDT

Not remotely interested in ESO, tbh. Haven't been since the beginning, and nothing I've seen or heard has changed that. A TES MMO just does not appeal to me on any level, especially one that isn't even developed by BGS. That's been the saving grace for me though — knowing BGS is doing their own thing and probably has a small team working on TES VI while the bulk of their task force is presumably focused on FO4.

• 167 posts
    March 29, 2014 7:57 PM EDT

^This

• 33 posts
    March 30, 2014 4:11 AM EDT

I look forward to playing TES VI in six years.