Forums » General Gaming

Runescape - A discussion

• 49 posts
    March 12, 2014 7:35 AM EDT
    It seems to me that a lot of people on the Skyrim Blog have played/still play Runescape.

I'd like to know if you do play and why?

Did you play but have since quit? Why did you quit?

I've quit numerous times since I started playing back in 2006 but I've always came back to it. I guess the main reason for this is due to the release of new quests. I'm a sucker for Runescape lore and most looking forward to the return of the mighty Zaros, and it's related quest!
    • 185 posts
    March 12, 2014 9:46 AM EDT
    I still play (not every day) I love the lore and the quests! Runescape is the main reason that I can't play MMORPGs for more than one week... Runescape has amazing quests and every other MMORPG that I played just have the "Kill X monster and come back"
    Guthix is dead... With his death I realized that the gods can't live peacefuly with the humans and elves, the gods need to leave us alone.
    • 49 posts
    March 12, 2014 11:45 AM EDT
    Ah your a Godless supporter!

Yeah your spot on about most MMORPG's quests, Runescape is a breath of fresh air in that respect and now they've implentend 'the players choice has more of an impact' I'm really looking forward to the forethcoming quests, I haven't done the newest one mind.

What's your Rs name? If you don't mind saying? Most of the people I play with have since quit so it'd be nice to talk to others in-game.

My RSN is Wally, if anyone wants to add me and talk!
  • March 12, 2014 12:59 PM EDT

Runescape has very good lore and quests indeed. I played the game solely for quests until I got the Quest Cape. It's so good to have true puzzles, enigmas, mysteries to solve and real investigation to do rather than simple "kill x enemies" quests like in every other MMO.

I remember spending 10 hours over 2 days solving that huge labyrinth in Mourning's Ends Part 2, I actually took a pencil and drew the map, taking as many notes as possible, and finished it on paper the morning after.

I just don't like what it evolved into. It was perfect from 2007 to, at best, 2011. I really loved the sandbox feel, fantasy weapons and colorful lore it had. Was a Zaros worshipper. But now all these updates make it look so different that I just can't see it as the same game anymore, hence why I quit.

• 163 posts
    March 12, 2014 3:10 PM EDT

Yea they seem to be talioring it to be really ''high tech'' I took one look at the new menu and uninstalled

• 49 posts
    March 12, 2014 7:01 PM EDT
    The Mourning Ends quest series were ridiculously long, I got so frustrated during the Light From Within quest that I left halve way through it and haven't completed it yet and that was over 2 years ago! Im impressed with the way you did that quest, I just look at quest guides for all of them.

I totally understand what you mean, RS3 is a totally different game. They are bringing back Legacy mode though which uses the old combat system and there is old school runsecape you can play which is based off the game as it was in August 2007.
    • 49 posts
    March 12, 2014 7:03 PM EDT
    Skyrim is the ONLY game that I play on my xbox.

:)
    • 185 posts
    March 12, 2014 7:16 PM EDT
    I liked the new combat, the old one was a bit boring for me, I only played because of the quests.
    • 49 posts
    March 13, 2014 6:44 AM EDT
    I don't mind it, the new 'Revolution Mode' makes Slayer a lot more relaxing from what I've heard, I still need a charming imp before I start Slayer again though...
    • 194 posts
    March 13, 2014 7:00 PM EDT

Anybody care to explain what the game was/is like to a nonplayer? I'd rather hear a player experience then read a wikipedia description. What was it like? What does it compare to?

• March 13, 2014 7:05 PM EDT

I think that using quest guides just beat the purpose of the game, at least for me the whole point of it was to actually solve the puzzles, so I spent a ridiculous amount of time getting that Quest Cape. But frankly it was worth it, it's such a feel of achievement

• 185 posts
    March 13, 2014 7:07 PM EDT

I used guides when I started playing, but then I realized that there's no fun in knowing everything that will happen and what I should do in the quests... Then I stopped.

• 49 posts
    March 14, 2014 7:35 AM EDT
    I totally agree with you, following quest guides spoil most if not all the storyline but im useless at puzzles so it's a just for me!
    • 49 posts
    March 14, 2014 7:44 AM EDT
    It's hard to describe as it's so unique, I haven't came across a game like it.
    The quest system is a massive plus for me, it's actually story orientated and each quest differs from one to another.

It's also not pay to win, you can pay real life money for cosmetic items or outfits but these have no bearing in-game.
    You can also buy bonds which are used to pay for membership and other cosmetic items but again, bonds are there so players can pay for membership with their in-game wealth.

There are plenty of skills to train in game and these range from your regular combat skills to Thieving and Hunter!

It also has a free-to-play worlds so I'd highly recommend you give it a try! Plus, it's a browser based game so there's no downloads or high PC spec requirements.
    • 19 posts
    March 14, 2014 11:38 AM EDT

Wait...

You can also buy bonds which are used to pay for membership and other cosmetic items but again, bonds are there so players can pay for membership with their in-game wealth.

When did they introduce that?
    Haven't played the game in 3 years though, so maybe that could explain it.

• 773 posts
    March 14, 2014 11:42 AM EDT

Never played this, but thinking of giving it a try

It might get me into an MMORPG 'zone' in advance of ESO

• 49 posts
    March 14, 2014 12:16 PM EDT
    They only released Bomds late 2013.
    • 49 posts
    March 14, 2014 3:21 PM EDT

You should defiantly give it a go!

Do let me know how you feel about the game once you get started.

• 194 posts
    March 14, 2014 4:10 PM EDT

I can imagine it being story/quest based. But how does the thieving and hunting feel with the graphics/mechanics? Do you pickpocket NPCs or pick locks? Do you compensate for drop with a bow?

• 49 posts
    March 17, 2014 9:09 AM EDT
    You can pickpocket NPCs, locks and chests.