Forums » Elder Scrolls

Concerning Dawnguard

• 30 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:03 PM EDT

Anyone tired of vampires? I want to role-play different characters, but Bethesda got so obsessed with vampires, it's hard to avoid attacks from them, or avoid the whole irritating Dawnguard questline.

For example, I have been wanting to re-role a pure Nord warrior and go further into the Nord history, which feels aesthetically a whole lot like Viking culture, but legitimately can go only so far as Sovngarde. The Civil War questline is okay, but all you're doing is killing Imperials all day long.

I really don't like vampires, and I never liked being one. I know it's part of the previous Elder Scrolls gaming history, but what Bethesda did with Skyrim is they made a world so aesthetically viking that the "imported" vampire stuff from previous ES games seems a bit off sometimes in Skyrim's textured feel.

Just my opinions. What do you think?

• 163 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:08 PM EDT

If you don't want vampires attacks on towns, disable dawnguard

• 30 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:16 PM EDT

Sorry, I am not familiar. How do you disable it?

• 338 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:40 PM EDT

What platform are you using?

• 739 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:41 PM EDT

I honestly think Dawnguard added more to the game than Dragonborn did...

I remember wishing (along with a fair few others actually) that towns weren't so 'safe' in vanilla Skyrim and that bandits or something would attack so that we could RP a town guard more effectively...

I enjoy being a vampire, but I LOVE exterminating them as a member of the Dawnguard. Sit back for a moment and take a look at the factions available in Skyrim...

The Dawnguard stand out as being a great faction for RP. They get crossbows and damn 'armored trolls'!

• 163 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:50 PM EDT

If you use pc then get NMM for that, if you use console's......then I've got nothing.

• 163 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:52 PM EDT

Yea I totally agree man, the only thing I didn't like was that they lumped the bandit and vampire types into one. So even when your a vampire lord the thin bloods are still hostile to you.

• 8 posts
    March 11, 2014 5:01 PM EDT
    I love both sides. However I thing being a vampire is just a little more entertaining, nut that's just because I'm weird and creepy like that.

But I'll admit you make a good point about vampires ruining Skyrim's Viking-like feel, but it could just add to the beauty of Skyrim. A beautiful-and harsh-land, where you have to constantly watch your back while taking in the breathtaking landscape, and because of vampires, this feeling is doubled at night...

But that's just me!
    • 163 posts
    March 11, 2014 5:25 PM EDT

Its not just you.

• 585 posts
    March 11, 2014 5:34 PM EDT
    Vikings believed in demonic beings (as far as I'm aware), so vampires could be RP as satanic beings from their history/beliefs.
    • 15 posts
    March 11, 2014 7:31 PM EDT

Honestly, I didn't like the whole Viking culture...
    I don't know why, but for some reason I liked the setting of Oblivion better, it felt so neutral and fantasy like. I know most of you wouldn't agree, but for some of my RP characters, the Viking culture and Skyrim made me feel like my character didn't belong. I can't really put my finger on it.

• 700 posts
    March 11, 2014 8:57 PM EDT

I only mind them to the extent that they make me burn through my Cure Disease potions and kill NPC's I frequently interact with.  Belethor, for example.  Or Adrianne.  Doesn't the position of "Town Guard" exist so that the civilians who have no combat prowess aren't forced to defend the town against powerful enemies with combat prowess?  It bothers me that the civilians can't just leave it to the guards.  I certainly do. 

• 30 posts
    March 12, 2014 12:25 AM EDT

I hope I can clarify a bit. Oh, definitely, I think they did a great job on the vampire aesthetic. I'm just saying that *sometimes* one could argue that the vampire architecture and the vampires in general felt a tad off.

Coming off an epic victory over Alduin in Sovngarde made me nostalgic about the whole Nord culture, and then immediately after I finished that questline, I made for Dawnguard, and the quick atmospheric feeling faded into a nostalgic sense that I had looped through a portal into a Gothic-type fantasy world. Haha.

But, to recall that feeling of viking culture "euphoria, the main questline I felt was the most epic for that whole Skyrim feel. Makes me want to try out Ponty's Last Dragonborn build.

• 108 posts
    March 12, 2014 6:41 AM EDT

There is a mod on Nexus that makes NPCs run inside and hide from vampires and dragon attacks IIRC.