Forums » The Lounge

The Member Spotlight - Ponty

• March 4, 2014 6:05 AM EST

Ladies and gentlemen, in light of reviving the Member Spotlight, this week we are bringing on stage none other than one of our most notorious members, Ponty!

Ponty’s a 19 year old Australian university student, in his final year of a Bachelor of Information Technology (if you haven’t heard of it, it’s similar to a Computer Science degree, but focused on business and communication rather than the scientific aspects of computing). As many of us, his biggest hobby is gaming, his favorite genres being RPG, FPS and a few MMOs.

Aside from video games, Ponty is also fond of good old classical tabletop roleplaying games, his favorite systems being Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 as well as Shadowrun. If you share this hobby, you might be interested in the system he is creating based on Elder Scrolls, called “The Elder Scrolls: D20”, you can check it out on the Facebook page he has created for it (I checked it out, it suggests Doritos for the playtesting kit so it's probably very good).

Ponty is one of our most notorious character builders, his most popular build being The Paladin, which has earned a whopping 340 likes – the website’s third most appreciated build of all time. He is also the most proliferous character builder, currently having 25 builds posted on the Blog. Here’s some of his history, recounted by the man himself:

Most people probably know me by my many builds over in the Character Building group. I started way back in 2011 before the game was even released with a "Heavily-Armored Mage", based off of a shield mage character I played in Oblivion. While it isn't around anymore, it was one of the first builds in the group! Since then I've created over two dozen builds that seem to have been pretty well-received by the community. There's something satisfying about sharing an experience you crafted yourself based on a character you enjoyed with the community so that they can have the same fun you did.

Ponty is also one of the more active members in the Tips & Tricks group, having created guides on Black Books, ShoutsDungeon Backdooring as well as numerous smaller discussions. He has submitted the popular Fun Facts thread where he shares little obscure bits of Skyrim he discovers while playing, a hot topic that has generated more than 400 replies!

He has also submitted content in the Blog section, consisting of a few stories where the readers decided what happened next, the popular blog Path to the Ebony Warrior, and the ongoing The Seekers.

Being active in various groups, Ponty has shown interest for a wide variety of content, all the way from character builds to blogs and screenshots, regardless of the user’s reputation or content quality. He has given feedback and encouragement to many members, particularly in the Character Build section where he used to be a Host. He also appreciates the Lore section, as he states below:

Other than some of the builds created by some of the more experienced builders like Henson and Mason, I've got a lot of respect for the guys and girls over in the Lore group. The quality of the work there is staggering to say the least, and really helps to immerse you more in the Elder Scrolls universe. A personal favourite of mine is the Altmer series by Vix from back in 2012.

All in all, Ponty is a good example of a member who appreciates variety and who takes his time creating good content, ensuring that he only submits quality content on the website. He reminds us that it is worthwhile and well-rewarding to put effort into doing things we like!

• 622 posts
    March 4, 2014 6:29 AM EST
    Aussies for the win! :D
  • March 4, 2014 6:30 AM EST

Ponty's Paladin build is the reason i bought Dawn guard

• 485 posts
    March 4, 2014 6:36 AM EST

Ponty, Mason, and Snake's creations are what got me into character building. 25+ builds and they're all brilliant. I don't know how Ponty does it. 

• 1483 posts
    March 4, 2014 7:27 AM EST

One of the best builders on the site and a great guy! You totally deserve it, man! Photo is awesome! 

• March 4, 2014 7:37 AM EST
    He also hunts saltwater alligators in his free time.
    • 622 posts
    March 4, 2014 7:46 AM EST
    Australia doesn't have alligators :P
  • March 4, 2014 7:53 AM EST
    Alcohol! Also I meant to say saltwater crocodile, not alligator.
    • 773 posts
    March 4, 2014 8:50 AM EST

Well deserved and long overdue spotlight

Ponty was one of the very first commenters on 'the old' Skyrim Blog, the site that existed before this one. He was supporting things even before Skyrim was released!

Congratulations buddy 

• 360 posts
    March 4, 2014 9:35 AM EST

Ponty's builds were the reason I joined the blog actually, I remember digging around youtube for new ways to play Skyrim, found Ponty's builds and discovered the site this way. Spent some time stalking around but eventually I joined, all thanks to Ponty's builds

• 661 posts
    March 4, 2014 10:23 AM EST
    This early in the AM?
    • 249 posts
    March 4, 2014 12:16 PM EST

Fantastic! I've wanted this feature to make comeback. Great choice too! I have tons of respect for anyone who puts effort into keeping TSB alive. Thanks Ponts 

• 194 posts
    March 4, 2014 12:29 PM EST

What a fuckin legend.

• March 4, 2014 5:06 PM EST

After seeing ponty on the member spotlight, there's only one thing I thought to say.

"Well, it's about time!"

• 856 posts
    March 4, 2014 5:20 PM EST

Gratz. And thanks for all you've contributed.

• 3 posts
    March 4, 2014 10:48 PM EST
    Finally, the spotlight for this legendary member is here! Also, I'm very happy to see the member spotlight is back! Congratz Ponty and thank you Armathyx!
    • 708 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:09 AM EST

Thanks for the kind words everyone, much appreciated

• 708 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:10 AM EST

Means a lot coming from you, thanks

• 708 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:11 AM EST

I'd better hit up Todd Howard, sounds like he owes me a cut.

• 708 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:18 AM EST

I'm pretty surprised how well the youtube thing has worked out in the end. When I started out I was thinking I'd maybe pull in 1000 views tops per video, really just from people that looked at my build. Turns out there's a demand for that sort of stuff, pretty much all my builds have 10k+ views and my original Paladin video has 95k!

• March 6, 2014 7:31 PM EST

I found this site through youtube. 

In my eyes, it's a HUGE success if even one member has joined through it.

• March 6, 2014 7:31 PM EST

Funny, that's exactly how I found the site.

• Dyg
    • 16 posts
    March 6, 2014 11:55 PM EST

RIGHT ON! 

• 2 posts
    March 8, 2014 11:10 AM EST

Differently a person to look up to!

• 661 posts
    March 10, 2014 8:04 PM EDT
    wenuk..... differently?