Forums » Elder Scrolls

Character Skill Unconscious Changes

• 167 posts
    March 1, 2014 2:56 PM EST

I'd like to ask if someone could help me with my current problem. You see, I am having no problem playing the same character without restarting the game a quadrillion times, but I am having issues with keeping with the same 6-8 skills. I find myself constantly adding in Two-Handed, Block, and other skills for almost no reason. I don't even have a need for the skills, I just sort of start using them unconsciously on characters.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? If so, how did you manage to overcome it? Do you do something in game constantly that you don't need to do ex. Restart all the time, Take useless heavy items, Mix-match armor ect. Let me know in the comments.

• 1483 posts
    March 1, 2014 2:59 PM EST

The only skills I have like that are Sneak and Alchemy. Both are quite easy to overcome though  

• 490 posts
    March 1, 2014 3:13 PM EST

Alteration for me. For some reason, I always have to include it in just for the utility which I find so addicting. Sword and shield with alteration crowd control skills is such a fun play style that I adapt those crowd control skills and utilities on other characters.

• 21 posts
    March 1, 2014 3:16 PM EST
    As a big fan of stealth, i always come back to sneaking around, even if it was not intended for the current character.
  • March 1, 2014 4:06 PM EST

You could filter out the skills you use over and over again (without intention) and create a character that uses them heavily. Eventually you will grow tired of them or you have great fun

• 295 posts
    March 1, 2014 4:07 PM EST

For me, it's alchemy. I'm not using it in my current build. Level 31 and have yet to make a potion. That being said. All my houses sure have an alchemy table, I gather all the ingredients I can find, and I accumulate enchanted items for alchemy. I don't use it, but I still collect the stuff. It's so sad. 

In my first playthrough, I was such a noob that I mix and matched armor almost the whole game. And I never perked any of the armors. That was dumb. Thank goodness smithing and enchanting saved my butt in that playthrough. 

Currently, I'm a shield mage, haven't lifted a sword in the entire game and I'm still picking up weapons for no good reason. Though weapons sure do look purty on weapon racks and they sell well. 

• 127 posts
    March 1, 2014 5:03 PM EST

For me, it's Block. Ijust feel like I must have Quick Reflexes perk. I mean, my pure mage has that perk. All my characters I have played 'till now had the perk.

• 490 posts
    March 1, 2014 5:11 PM EST

^ I second this.

• 167 posts
    March 1, 2014 5:13 PM EST

I'm actually using that in one of my next couple builds as a way of counter-attacking.

• 32 posts
    March 2, 2014 8:38 PM EST

I find myself picking all the locks everywhere. Opening all the chests. Looting all the dragon bones and scales just to sell them. Sneaking on heavily armored characters. Yeah.

• 167 posts
    March 2, 2014 9:33 PM EST

There with you unfortunately, I do almost all this stuff disregarding the last one.

• 149 posts
    March 2, 2014 10:21 PM EST

Whenever this happens to me, I try to make it seem natural somehow. Have some explanation for why my character is learning this new skill. When it comes to Skyrim, I like rolling with things rather than keeping to a rigid formula.

• 661 posts
    March 3, 2014 1:45 AM EST
    Illusion, Enchanting, Two-Handed, Heavy Armour, and Alteration. It's always these five skills I find myself playing with for no other reason than fun. Or just to mix things up. It makes me tired to play new games when I always play with the skills I don't perk til after lvl 50. Sometimes perking these skills I don't use gets me killed, or doesn't seem right. Like I am cheating the game for doing everything right, or just doing everything. It gets a lot harder, and unbearable when I become Dragonborn because I can't find time to Roleplay when I have to be the hero. But hey there is the alternative. Playing with your Builds skill choices. It doesn't really leave room for freedom. Espcially when you pick what you are going to use from the get go. Takes away the evolution of the character. It is a double edged sword these 'unconscious' skill choices. So my advise just play the game, and let everything flesh out. Sooner or later it's all going to catch up. It's bound to happen since we can do what we want in Skyrim.
  • March 4, 2014 4:20 PM EST

i always pick locks for some reason... i cant help thinking what treasure might be left if i dont... i just act like i broke the lock with a hard swing of my weapon if im playing a no lock picking character... its like an addiction i canat help it sneaking is my bad part too

• 3 posts
    March 5, 2014 7:50 PM EST

Same with me. I was playing a heavy-armoured, two-handed orc and was sneaking constantly.

• 168 posts
    March 5, 2014 8:10 PM EST
    Every single one of my characters have used Block, even the one dual-wielder I tried to play. I also usually use Two-handed, Enchanting, and Alteration or Destruction.

I also have the habit of resarting and reconfiguring my main character; I've played the as same guy probably a dozen times and I still have yet to reach level 50 on any of them, the highest I've ever gotten so far was 46!