Forums » Elder Scrolls

I Still Have Not Figured Out Efficient Leveling In Oblivion

• 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:20 PM EST

On my first level up I successfully did a 5/5/1 (luck character). On my second level up I leveled heavy armor and block 5 points each, they are major skills. I also leveled a minor skill, light armor, 10 points. I thought this would give me the 5 points in Speed but instead it gives me 2. I don't know why. I tried leveling up athletics and acrobatics as well to see if it would raise it and it doesn't, so that's apparently not the problem.

Is my situation descriptive enough to tell me why I got 2 points instead of 5 points upon level up for speed after leveling light armor 10 points?

Sigh... I SO CONFUSE.

• 661 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:25 PM EST
    Its minor thats why. Your major skils affect your attributes the most. When I was power lvlin with alchemy I found that my willpower or intelligence(cannot remember which one) didnt go past four or three. Al because it was minor.
    • 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:32 PM EST

Okay. Somewhere I got you had to level major and minor skills to level up properly... Hmmm.

Sooo... I have to pick a skill from every attribute as a major skill to gets +5s in everything... And I max my major skills to level 100 and that's my level cap? Then I level my minor skills without leveling up from that point on?

I STILL CONFUSE. A LITTLE.

• 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:34 PM EST

For example: How did this character (scroll to the bottom) get strength to 100 without any strength skills to level?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Creating_an_Awesome_Character

• 661 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:39 PM EST
    meh
    • 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 7:52 PM EST

I think I found the issue but I got to try it. The minor skill needs to be leveled up first to get the +5 in its attribute. I leveled heavy armor and block before I leveled light armor. Minor skills don't get the +5 once the level up icon is showing... I think. I'll come back with word of this.

• 739 posts
    February 25, 2014 8:07 PM EST

Your major and minor skills don't effect your modifier at level up...

Major and Minor skills only effect how easily the skill levels in comparison to your misc skills...unless I'm mistaken...

Putting light armor up 10pts before level up should have definitely got you a +5 to your modifier. Not sure what's going on with your game if you aren't getting it...

• 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 8:24 PM EST

Yeah, I did that the first time (unwittingly). Then the second time, not realizing the order matters, I leveled my major skills before minor skills and that's why I got the +2 skill. So I figured that bullshit out... But I still don't understand how that character example on the link I posted got a 100 in strength with no major skills in that attribute... ???

:/

• 739 posts
    February 25, 2014 8:31 PM EST

By levelling his misc strength skills before levelling any of his major/minors?

You have to target those misc skills first for perfect modifiers.

• 739 posts
    February 25, 2014 8:32 PM EST

Misc skills all start at 15 yes?

That gives them plenty of room for improvement (and therefore extra modifiers).

• 194 posts
    February 25, 2014 9:18 PM EST

Of course. Gah, overthinking and feeling stupid. So major skills need to be very controlled in how they level and one should ideally level them... Evenly? So that they can max attribute gains before running out of major skills to level... Hm.