Forums » Elder Scrolls

Best Roleplay experience (Race)

• 47 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:26 PM EST

So i want to start a new playthrough of Skyrim but not using a human race because I've never properly played a non human race. I'm a big roleplay/ lore freak and want to know in your opinion what is the best non-human race to roleplay, using lore and/or stereotypes of that race.

I've been considering playing a high elf Thalmor, a Dunmer wizard or a Khajiit caravan guard. Roleplaying the Khajiit sounds the most fun as i plan to travel with the caravan at all times as its guard (I don't mind sitting around a town for a few days, bounty hunting is fun)

But other then this can you guys offer any other possible builds/ archetypes for me to play and as i said above roleplay opportunities. 

• 93 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:33 PM EST

I found it quite fun to play a High Elf who has come to Skyrim to study, despite his race's general disdain for the Nords's way of life. He spent quite a lot of time learning about the culture, the land, and the lore of Skyrim and came to sympathize with the people and their struggle, while trying to lessen the obvious racism in the people of Skyrim. It was a heavy roleplay run, which I usually don't enjoy, but I really liked this one. Just an idea. 

The idea of a Khajiit traveling with the caravans sounds fun! Since you like the sound of that, perhaps you might enjoy 'creating' your own caravan? Get a follower as a guard, a horse, and a dog and travel a route. Pick up things and ingredients along the way. I've done this a bit, and it seems like it could be fun if you really invested the time. Also, as for getting a caravan together, I THINK, if you're on PC, there's a mod (Follower overhaul, maybe?) that let's you get a group to tag along with you, if you have that available to you!

Hope this helped!

• 47 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:38 PM EST

Hmm you've just improved my Khajiit idea, i could start out as a part of a caravan then build my own one, whilst running my own drug empire at the same time

But as for the High Elf, what unique roleplay features did you implement into the character??

Also im on Xbox so no mods for me, got my hopes up when there was that hoax that they were releasing it for next gen games, thought they might bring mods to the next gen. Damn hoax!!!

• 93 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:44 PM EST

Oh, and just an idea: If I were to RP that Khajiit, I would want to marry Ysolda and set her up in a house outside of a city (I used Lakeview) and give her a guard. Then, you have a buyer for some of your drugs, and you can pretend she runs your home-base store, with caravans stopping by to trade and possibly lodge when need be.

Well, like I said, I don't tend to do RP-heavy runs, so just the fact that I really tried to RP the High Elf was new for me. I don't know what exactly would be unique for those of you who have RPed multiple characters. I just took it slower, only took on followers who I thought he would like, I enchanted and re-named objects with sentimental value. Didn't wear armor off corpses that wouldn't fit, brewed my own potions and didn't use ones I found (Because you have no way of knowing the effects on those random, unmarked vials) and simple things like that. It was less about features I implemented and more about following the character himself.

• 47 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:48 PM EST

I'm looking for race specific roleplaying, I'm kinda familiar with most the roleplaying ideas as you mentioned, what I'm after is some new ways to roleplay using races. Like if i create the Khajiit he wont be allowed to enter cities without bribing the guards (Reverse pick pocket)

• 93 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:02 PM EST

That sounds fun! That's one of the main reasons I don't play Khajiits- It felt so weird to enter the city as one. But that's a good idea! 

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:18 PM EST

That's how I always play my Khajiit characters as well, they always have to bribe their way in (except for one that was Dragonborn early on and she only had to bribe her way into Whiterun, after that she was welcome because of that role). A Kahjiit drug dealer that marries Ysolda sounds like a lot of fun. Some good ideas here.

• 47 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:31 PM EST

Anyone got any Argonian ideas? I was thinking of a Morthal dwelling Argoanian bounty hunter, any race specific roleplay oppurtunities for the argonian?

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:42 PM EST

Do anything you can to help the plight of Argonians in Windhelm. There are a couple of times you can show an open dislike of the Dunmer. The Dark Brotherhood always appeals to me when I am playing Argonians. Oh and I almost always marry an Argonian and live in the argonian assemblage for a bit.