Forums » Elder Scrolls

Heavy Role Play in a Character Build

• 38 posts
    January 15, 2014 7:41 PM EST
    What's your thoughts on heavy role play? I'm working on a build that requires a lot of role play for a couple different parts. As long as the build is good and the role play is interesting do you mind reading and going along with some extra role-play?
    • 127 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:01 PM EST
    I like it and use it a lot, so no, I won't mind
    • 700 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:30 PM EST

I'd have to read it and then offer my thoughts.  I can't tell you right now whether I would go along with every facet of the role play.  I like deep role play that focuses more on the morals and personality of the character and how those influence his interactions with the world, as opposed to having to eat three meals a day.  

• Kuz
    • 18 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:35 PM EST

A role play section is always good to have in a build. It can turn a good build into a great build. See henson's Old Orc, without role playing it is a simple two handed brute. but with it it is a simplistic masterpiece. just don't drown us in it.

• 490 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:41 PM EST
    The more the merrier. I love reading it all.
    • 38 posts
    January 15, 2014 10:51 PM EST

Well what i can tell you without giving some of the build away is that its almost all political sabotage role play, i'm not happy about any way the civil war ends during ether path or any of the negotiations, so its alot of planting false evidence, talking in secret to leaders of the oppisite side of the war, that type of role play.

• 127 posts
    January 15, 2014 11:01 PM EST
    So... Espionage?
    • 38 posts
    January 15, 2014 11:19 PM EST

Not exactally, Espionage is basicly spying to gather intel, this guy joins the opposing side of the side he wants to see prosper, in order to use them to help weed out the corrupt, weak, and greedy leaders, then turn around and hands control over to the side he fought against, to a NPC he thinks would be a stronger less corruptible leader. you see how i could easly have a ton of writing to explain this properly? and the amout of role playing necessary to pull this off?

• 127 posts
    January 15, 2014 11:25 PM EST
    It sounds amazing! I'll definitely check it out (if you make it)
    • 38 posts
    January 15, 2014 11:31 PM EST

I'm about three days from wrapping it up depending how often i get called into work, i already have a good many hours into it, its coming for sure just trying to get some advice on how not to make the role play section a novel and still drive my points across.

• 1483 posts
    January 16, 2014 4:44 AM EST

Penance, check out this thread and look through replies. It might come in handy

• 10 posts
    January 16, 2014 7:30 AM EST

Roleplay in a character build is always a good thing. But most of what people post as 'roleplay' is actually shitty backstory. The kind of thing that benefits a character build are things like personality, motivation, and so on. The most obvious and simple suggestion is somebody joining the Stormcloaks because they worship Talos.

But there are more interesting things to do, like creating a sneaky mage who has joined up with the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood to raise money for their magical tutelage: they could perform stealth guild quests and then spend the money on training. Or you could create a Nord warrior who carries a bow - but only uses that bow to hunt animals to eat, and to bring down dragons. As an honorable warrior, he would always face a human opponent with his sword, in fair combat. Or you could play as a skooma addict, who delves into alchemy to get his next fix from dubious Strength Potions.

I won't keep listing examples, but you get the idea - things like playing a character as a mercenary, questing for gold, or a hero attempting to save the world. This is the kind of thing that helps flesh out a build. It gives the reader an idea of what choices they would make while playing the character. Having a lengthy story about the character's life is no good.

Don't create a person. Create an archetype. The silhouette of a person.

• 739 posts
    January 16, 2014 7:40 AM EST

+1