Forums » Elder Scrolls

Favorite Archetype

• 52 posts
    December 14, 2013 8:55 PM EST
    Let's not lie, when it comes to classes there are a lot. Whether it is a strong-minded Mage, a battle- hardy warrior or a sly thief there is still a lot more than that. So, my question is this. What is you favorite class (archetype) to play as in the Elder Scrolls games? (Playing and role playing) Give me a reason why it is your favorite too.
    • 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:26 PM EST

Probably a Knight or warrior. I enjoyed Oblivion's Knights of the Nine and Fighters Stronghold dlc so much that I developed a default playstyle from that experience. I also enjoy ranger styles.

My first ever Oblivion character was an Agent because the game recommended that at the end of the tutorial. I enjoyed the experience and even enjoyed the Thieves Guild questline but I never developed a fondness for stealth. I guess I don't have the patience. It's quite funny because in just about all games where you can choose your style; Assassin's Creed, Deuce Ex, Dishonoured etc... the path of stealth is always the least appealing to me.

• 1483 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:39 PM EST

Phil -_- 

• 1483 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:40 PM EST

For me it's Thief. Pure, not killing, slow, methodical professional who enjoys getting in places and empty them without leaving any trace like a ghost 

• 106 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:41 PM EST
    Mine has always been a light armor bow wielding sneaky type character. It depends on my role play but I'm usually a thief, in it for the money and riches. My first oblivion character was a full archer sneaky thief assassin. In skyrim my favorite build to this day is a light armor sneak bow sword and sheield with other skills along the way. Its just too viable and fun and very eligible for lots of different roleplays.

And if not that, then heavy armor tank with a massive battle Axe haha
    • 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:42 PM EST

What? I enjoyed the TG  DB was waaaaay overrated though...

• 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:45 PM EST

Now you're talking with that last sentence Zach  Your first character sounds like a pussy!  I jest I jest calm down

• 1483 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:47 PM EST

You still owe me that stealth playthrough 

• 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:49 PM EST

• 365 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:54 PM EST

Sneak Archery. Always Assassin/usually a thief aswell.

I sometimes throw in a mix of destruction and illusion to it aswell if I feel like zapping some creeps....

If you really want to know the ins and outs, just look at my Ridnen Rider build....

• 106 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:57 PM EST
    Considering I play the archetype as a female 90% of the time, yes. I'm a pussy hahaha
    • 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 2:59 PM EST

By Talos I'm outnumbered. I'm leaving this discussion before any more Lachance fanboys show up  Joking!

• 365 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:01 PM EST

"Brooooomance....  <3  "

• 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:06 PM EST

That, sir, is fucking funny!

• 55 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:08 PM EST

I'm a fan of the sorcerer class from the Elder Scrolls. I love mage classes, but sometimes I get bored only attacking at range because it becomes repetitive. Sorcerers are those in your fierce magic users that can do it from all ranges. 

• 1595 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:09 PM EST

Do it from all ranges, eh? Must be magic

God I'm in a silly mood tonight.

• 268 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:14 PM EST
    Me too Vaz. Though no kills can get pretty tough, I always try to stick to it. Reminds me of my run through in Ansilvund, comepletely undetected. A complete ghost playthrough is brilliant, albeit practically impossible without some form of magical aid. I prefer letting my enemies see my a couple of times, before disappearing and robbing them blind.
    • 1483 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:19 PM EST

Fully perk Sneak and they can't see you even in a plain sight. I don't perk Sneak nowadays to keep it challenging 

• 36 posts
    December 21, 2013 3:57 PM EST
    Knight just because nobility and helping people in need
    and not being snobby rich
    • 152 posts
    December 21, 2013 4:15 PM EST

I tend to stick with paladins, spellswords, and warriors in heavy armors in Skyrim. I can't seem to feel comfortable in light armor.

However, in Morrowind, I ALWAYS went with medium armor, even if it was the 'weakest' type. With medium armor's inclusion in ESO, I am hoping and praying that it gets included in the next Elder Scrolls game.

I love me some medium armored paladins and spellswords

• 69 posts
    December 21, 2013 4:33 PM EST

Well, when i played Wow i was a paladin. That really appealed to me at the time because i could tank, do massive amounts of damage and heal my team if the healer died (also resurrect). When i picked up skyrim, i decided to switch my play style and play an assassin/ thief since i found it challenging. Big mistake! after playing and retiring 3 separate assassins/thieves all to lvl 45, I think i am addicted to stealth. No matter, I'm just about to role a 2 handed battlemage of some sort ;)

Answer= Anything stealthy.

Even when i play a warrior in heavy armour, i try to sneak my way through bleak fall barrows. :( 

• 70 posts
    December 21, 2013 4:46 PM EST

There are two classes in Skyrim that really appeal to me.

The first is a Spellsword. Now the basic setup for this would something along the lines of One-Handed, Destruction, Light Armour, Alteration, Restoration and Alchemy. Combat with a guy like this never gets repetitive, and you have no real weaknesses. You pretty much dominate combat at high levels, Alchemy being useful for all circumstances. What I like most about a character like this is the pace of combat. While he can take a few hits, you still need to be fully engaged in the fight to survive. Nothing is more satisfying than defeating an entire group of enemies in a flawless kill streak, under the effects of Slow Time. Most of my characters are based on the skill set I described.

The second class is a Death Knight. The setup is normally One-Handed, Conjuration, Enchanting, Heavy Armour, Block and Archery. While not as versatile as the spellsword, a high level Death Knight can still fight at any range, either with a bow or a sword and shield. I tend not to play evil characters as much but when I do, nothing beats playing a tank like warrior who can cut down anything in his way.

• 21 posts
    December 22, 2013 4:51 AM EST
    My favorite has to be a rogue. Not the elder scrolls rogue (no rogue should use magic!) but a traditional rogue. A sneaky, crafty adventurer who relies equally on wits as much as his blade. I love creeping through crypts with a crossbow, picking locks and getting into duels with my enemies where I rely on blocking and parrying with my sword to stay on my feet. It's just a blast, and it makes me feel like Indiana Jones!
    • 11 posts
    December 22, 2013 6:14 AM EST

I'll have to go with the crowd and say stealthy assassin. There's just something so appealing about hiding in the shadows and taking out your foes one by one.

• 34 posts
    December 22, 2013 6:17 AM EST

My list goes as follows: 

1. Thief/Assassin 

2. Mage 

3. Warrior 

I love stealth. I love assassins and thieves and anything to do with remaining undetected and getting the job done quick and painless... and robbing the mark blind at the same time. To me there is a huge allure with stealth types. I've been a lover of assassin's since I first laid my hands on the first Assassin's Creed game. That was 6 years ago. I was NINE. I fell in love with assassins and stealth (although the franchise seems to have parted from the stealthy assassin and become more about brute strength, but I still love it).

And that love of stealth has moved on to many other games. Also one of the reasons I love Dishonored and Skyrim and other such games, because it gives you the choice to be stealthy. I LOVE IT. Kinda like how little kids want to be ninjas, if I lived in the world of Skyrim, I would definitely be a thief or assassin. Realistically I wouldn't last a day but a girl can dream. 

This also might have something to do with the fact that I like to play the bad guy. In games where you can make your own decisions to be good or bad, I love being bad. Like inFamous, where you can just go on a rampage and blow everything up and not care for the consequences. And thieves and assassins are, well, seen as being bad. Also the bad guys generally look cooler and get the better powers/perks.

Mage comes in second because I've always loved magic. Not as much as stealth, but it's high up there. When I was little I pretended to have magic powers that could make me do anything and now being able to play games that reflect that is awesome. The mystery and pure power of magic is fascinating. The stories that go along with it are just an added bonus. Imagine the possibilities if magic was real! Invisibility, telekinesis, mind control, creating fire with the snap of your fingers... wow. I totally want to do that still. 

Warrior comes in last because I don't hate it, but I don't necessarily like it either. It's the complete opposite of stealth. I prefer to go into dungeons being able to scope the place out and figure out how to take down the enemies before they see me than run in blind, sword in hand. I tried a nord warrior, Sofie. I love her to bits but I seem to die a lot when playing as her. I'm just not made to play a warrior. She's the opposite of everything I like to do in Skyrim. She joined the Stormcloaks for crying out loud. She uses double axes and runs in swinging. It's not what I like to do. When being stealthy I can avoid enemies I know are too powerful for me. With her I have to face them and die. Many times. I just... eh. She's amazing but I don't like warrior types. If only she were an assassin. 

Sorry for the essay. Not really.