Forums » Elder Scrolls

Am I the only one who dislikes where ESO seems to be going?

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:27 PM EST

Not much was said about Hammerfell. From what I've heard though most of the zones still aren't fully playable anyway. Most of the "hatred" was directed at the depictions of Summerset and Morrowind though. Skyrim from what I've heard is pretty much what you get in the game Skyrim only scaled down so there's that.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:49 PM EST

All opinions are biased. A person being biased toward one thing or another, or believing one thing or another is literally what opinions are. Your opinion may be that the game is good, but that doesn't mean it is, just like my opinion that it's not doesn't mean it's not. However, from every bit of info I've gotten it seems like ESO will be a nightmare for people who love the established Elder Scrolls lore, and a subpar to average gaming experience as a whole.

Could they turn the game play at least around in a few months time? Not likely, but I guess it is possible. Won't change the fact that lore buffs will still find this game to go against everything they've been told in the past.

Either way this is all pointless anyway. I've tried just about every "WoW Killer" there is. Rift, Age of Conan, Star Wars the Old Republic, Guild Wars 1 & 2, Secret World, the list goes on and on. Every single one has been average at best and almost all have flopped. ESO will follow the same path unless it truly transcends all expectations and somehow becomes a godly gift of gaming.

As for the argument that "It's only in beta" well it's about 3 to 4 months from release if they want to get it out in spring like they've said so this is based on VERY late beta testing. Besides Guild Wars 2 was judged on beta testing and look what happened, it was released in almost the same state it was at it's beta stage. Took them months to even get the game stable enough to be enjoyable in the slightest.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:54 PM EST

The sub is probably a whole lot cheaper than paying for every single DLC they'll make.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:59 PM EST

Profit is always the goal. Regardless, the fact remains that almost all of the lore changing in this game would have had no effect on game play at all. I'll agree with the poison resistance being taken out for game play purposes, but why would they have any need at all to change Summerset's architecture? Why even put a quest involving a dark brotherhood assassin that's afraid of death? These things could easily have been kept lore friendly with just a tiny bit of effort, but the dev team would rather change things purely to save some extra work in thinking up an alternate quest or creating a new building instead of being able to reuse the mesh from another province and just slap a new skin on it.

When asked about the changes to Summerset their response was essentially that "Well art and reality aren't the same.". This is a complete cop out plain and simple. The Elder Scrolls is a FANTASY series where a race of imaginary beings called Dunmer live in giant mushrooms. Why in Mehrunes Dagon's red ass would it be out of the norm to have a building made of glass? We have building's made of glass right now in the real world! And the argument that it would be impossible or hard to program is crap. WoW has done damn near identical things with it's engine which is nowhere near that of ESO's.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:05 PM EST

It took them a few weeks to create a fully functional first person view. They have a good large team and a good budget, they can change certain things very quickly if they need to.

The Lore is not as bad as you think, there are some things that are just plain wrong, but in the big picture it's not bad at all. Even Vix said he's not so worried about it anymore. Zenimax isn't just going to rape lore.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:07 PM EST

It looks really awesome, most of the desert would be a huge exploration zone.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:09 PM EST

Regardless, the fact remains that almost all of the lore changing in this game would have had no effect on game play at all. I'll agree with the poison resistance being taken out for game play purposes, but why would they have any need at all to change Summerset's architecture?

So you've already seen all of Summerset? We can't see anything more than a single island of the coast of Summerset. So actually we've not seen summerset at all..

They haven't changed nearly as much lore as you think. They added a lot of lore sure, but there wasn't much in this time period to begin with, and most of it was probably done by Bethesda themselves, or at least supervised by them.

• 490 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:15 PM EST

I am a HUGE lore buff and I love reading it and role playing with any readings I come across. That being said, ESO is a game. I am just going to play it ... Simple as that. And I will enjoy it. If you feel that offended about lore stuff, I would say you are going to miss out on having fun with a game.

And maybe I am very new to the MMORPG world, but who cares about comparing it to other games? Is that what people do? What does that accomplish? It's as though precedent is the only thing that matters. If the game is fun, it is going to be fun.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:15 PM EST

Everything I've read and heard about the lore screams to the contrary, but if they manage to not destroy it then I'll tip my hat to Zenimax. I mean if they can make the things that have been presented work then they would truly be masters of writing.

As for the game play like I said it is possible to fix but I doubt they will. They're sure to get a huge number of buys simply by having the Elder Scrolls name on it. MMO developers don't seem to ever try that hard to fix things. Most MMOs are basically the way they were at release even today.

Honestly an MMO just wasn't a good setting for an Elder Scrolls game period. Might as well make a Call of Duty RPG while we're at it.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:17 PM EST

Well that's a plus. At least they got Hammerfell and Skyrim right lol.

• 490 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:19 PM EST

If I may say, I think you are just entrenched into actual game mechanics.

The idea of having an entire CONTINENT full of active and interactive characters (players) is probably more Elder Scrolls than ever. Just because the games preceding it were only single player only speaks to actual game mechanics, not the approach to a living, breathing community, economy, and war.

The previous ES games are based on the player being this all powerful hero who does everything by himself. ESO is centered on everyone being a part of a grand collective to achieve a more "real-Nirn" feel. No one is going to be a champion (save for temporary emperor), no one is going to be a dragonborn, no one is going to be a god. THAT is what excites me the most.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:20 PM EST

The thing is that they're changing a period of history that took place BEFORE the main games. This has implications to completely change the series from this point forward for the single player games too.

As for the Summerset thing, yeah I suppose you're right all of Summerset hasn't been seen. However, the dev team already said that the fanciful version that has been depicted in lore books and such WILL NOT be in their game specifically the glass towers.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:20 PM EST

A CoD RGP wouldn't even be that bad if created by a company like Bethesda.

Everything I've seen from the gameplay looks really good. It's simple like in ES games, most of the combat works like that. But then there's also abilities and ultimates like true MMO fashion. Hell, if it feels good it's probably better combat the The Elder Scrolls ever had. Zenimax went to great lengths to fix things already, they listen to the fans more than 99% of the companies out there. I have faith in them.

Some things go somewhat against lore as we know it, but the lore we knew about this time period was severely limited. The factions were a bit of a stretch, but no where near impossible.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:26 PM EST

How often was it mentioned that Summerset had that? Not that often, there's probably plenty of conflicting stories about it even without ESO. But even so, that architecture sounds nice and all, but some of it seems simply impossible and quite useless. The stories in the lore about glass tower and stuff were really just to play into the whole fancy Elf stereotype.

The added lore might be canon, but the already said ESO would not affect they single player series in any way.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:26 PM EST

Comparing it to other MMOs is actually something that should be done. MMOs don't have the luxury of single player games. An MMO is dependent on its playerbase. If the game doesn't draw large numbers it will die. If it dies then you won't have a game to enjoy anymore because unlike single player games MMOs won't always be there to pop in and try when you feel like it. Every MMO that's tried to be "different" has failed so that has me worried that ESO will do the same.

Anyway contrary to how much I bash it I hope you DO enjoy ESO. I'm just stating why I won't and giving the info I've been able to gather to others so they can make a decision for themselves. If you wanna buy ESO that's your right and I hope you get your money's worth, but I know a lot of people will buy it and be sorely disappointed just as I have been with every MMO purchase I've made.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:30 PM EST

Not really. With an MMO you'll have to buy the DLC AND pay the sub. Also if you play for more than say 4 months you'll end up paying more than the price of the game itself.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:33 PM EST

They already mentioned the yearly deal will be very cheap. Who knows how they'll really handle DLC's? Just because WoW does it doesn't mean ESO will. Besides, even if the big DLC's cost extra money, all the smaller things, including added territory won't have to be paid extra for.

• 91 posts

Could be false, but I've heard that Dragon Born will in fact be a title that can be earned in the game similar to how Star Wars Galaxies allowed people to become Jedi back in the day. Besides that most MMOs I've played still treat your character as "better" than the common folk. You will still be a great hero who is fighting in battles that no normal soldier would ever have. The only difference between ESO and the single player elder scrolls games from what I can tell is that you'll be playing hero with lots of other heroes.

• 91 posts

Now I almost wanna see a CoD RPG lol.

• December 11, 2013 10:36 PM EST
    There is a new shooter MMO called the Division coming out soon. But it's more post-apocalyptic (but not completely) than war time. But it looks amazing so far!
    • 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:36 PM EST

Descriptions of places in the games aren't used much at all anyway so all we have to go on is the few instances that do exist. And the fancy elf stereotype is true. Have you not seen their armor! Even in Skyrim they wear that fancy stuff. XD

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:36 PM EST

Aye, and you won't even have to do that. You can do everything except PvP on your own.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:38 PM EST

Which defeats the purpose of this even being and MMO then. The entire point of an MMO is that you HAVE to have others to play with or you can't beat the game. This sounds like The Old Republic all over again.

• 966 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:39 PM EST

Yeah, and they want you to play with other players. But you have the CHOICE to don't do it. Although they mentioned some parts of the story and some bigger dungeons could be reeaaally hard alone.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 10:40 PM EST

Doesn't really matter anyway. The p2p model is dying off. WoW is the only one left that does it successfully and even they can't keep it up forever. Eventually ESO will have no choice but to go f2p like every other MMO simply because they won't be able to compete with WoW once the allure of a "shiny new toy" wears off.