Forums » Elder Scrolls

Am I the only one who dislikes where ESO seems to be going?

• 108 posts
    December 11, 2013 12:23 PM EST

It seems I will be playing Skyrim for a long, long time. Perhaps even Skywind, but hordes running and slashing is nothing I want to spend money on http://ning.it/1hMPHKf

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2013 12:43 PM EST
    Yeah... A lot do, we just ranted so much we are tapped out... Like the Michael Bay TMNT movie... We have said all that is needed to be said and we are done
    • 490 posts
    December 11, 2013 12:44 PM EST

Suit yourself, I know I will be immersed in the whole of Tamriel with lore, combat, and awesome.

• 1913 posts
    December 11, 2013 12:45 PM EST
    And I know there will be people who buy it simply to throw it away... Which will do nothing. It would be like paying me for cookies I made then stepping on them saying "How do you feel now?" The response will always be "Great, you just paid me... You can do whatever you want with the product now, I honestly don't care."
    • 194 posts
    December 11, 2013 12:57 PM EST

True. This depends on how well they do the MMO experience, which is such a tricky industry it's like setting yourself up for failure. They are planning to charge monthly to keep enough people invested in the game to develop a community base, but how long will that last when people finish all the main missions and stop their subscription until DLC comes. Play the DLC for a month. Stop their sub again. Etc.

• 490 posts
    December 11, 2013 2:00 PM EST

There will be 50+ content, meaning hours upon hours (some guess over 60 hours for each alliance, and that's not counting PvP or Cyrodiil...) so I know players will stay busy.

• December 11, 2013 2:02 PM EST

That's why I think this game should be far more oriented towards PvP.

• 149 posts
    December 11, 2013 2:07 PM EST

ESO really is it's own game. It just doesn't feel the same as previous elder scrolls titles.

Part of this is simply because of the nature of MMOs. There are some things you can do in single player games that you can't do in online multiplier games, due to technical limitations or just by virtue of having several people occupying the same world space.

ESO is still fun, but for different reasons than, say, Skyrim or Morrowind. If you go into it expecting a tried and true TES experience, you're going to be disappointed. But if you go into it with the mindset of an MMO player, then you may find there's a lot to like.

• 49 posts
    December 11, 2013 2:19 PM EST

As alot of people before me have said already, if you don't like MMO's you will probably not like ESO. Even if your'e a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan. It's a completely different game.

• 297 posts
    December 11, 2013 5:39 PM EST

it is .. the pvp has always been their main focus

• 130 posts
    December 11, 2013 6:53 PM EST

Well, I'm interested to see how a competitive ES game turns out, but other MMO aspects (grinding etc.) that may or may not be included will probably decide whether or not I buy it. Oh, and I despise Pay2Play with a passion.

• 1483 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:03 PM EST

I won't be getting it. As to whether I like the direction it is going or not, I'm not really interested in gameplay and only want to learn more about lore and that historical period. Everything tends to multiplayer these days, I'm looking forward to new Fallout and TES 6 (single-player ones)

• 149 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:06 PM EST

I'm actually looking forward to it, too. I don't play MMOs, but ESO seems as good a place to start as any.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:33 PM EST

I've got a few guildies in WoW that have played the beta of this game and they all have bad things to say.

First is that it is completely phased, just one big server where people randomly disappear. Only way to fix this is to group together or be in the same guild which makes random role play impossible.

Second the lore has been retconned to hell and back. Wanted to see the glass towers of Summerset? Too bad it's now Skyrim with less snow. Thought Argonians could resist poisons? Nope simple poison kills them. Believed that the Dark Brotherhood were unstoppable death machines that didn't fear death and embraced the thought of joining the void with their master? Well their actually terrified of death and want your help to heal them so they don't die.

Third dungeons aren't phased so 8000 people can just run into a dungeon and wipe everything out. Any puzzles you find are ruined by other players immediately whispering you the answer.

And finally the promise of "freedom" is a lie. You can't play a heavy armored mage or any other form of awesome class combo that was possible in every other elder scrolls game. In fact even the customization that is available is pointless because if you don't play a very specific way with your class you won't be able to win at ANYTHING in the game period.

Essentially ESO is the failed attempt at trying to please two markets but ending up not pleasing either at all. Elder Scrolls fans will hate what's happened to the lore, and will despise the game play for being too "watered down" (archery and stealth are the biggest offenders here). MMO fans will hate the combat and game play because it is so unusual, neither fitting an Elder Scrolls game nor an MMO.

Since I play MMOs for the opportunity to role play with other people the limitations against it will make this a no-no for me. Not even considering buying it until I see a major change in the phasing problems. When, and it is a matter of when not if, it goes f2p I may consider giving it a try though.

• 52 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:41 PM EST
    Guys, if you need news for this game them go to the ShoddyCast and watch their series called Elder Scrolls Online Weekly. (There is a lot, around like 75 episodes, but I learned a lot of Info.) there is also a great lore series for TES and Fallout.
    • 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:42 PM EST

It's set for release in just a few months. There is absolutely no way they can fix every problem here in that short a time. If they pushed the release from Spring 2014 to Summer 2014 then MAYBE they could. Still that wouldn't fix the lore problems which is my biggest issue with the game.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 7:49 PM EST

They changed damn near everything in lore. Summerset has been described as having towers of glass that resemble the wings of insects when the light hits them. Now Summerset is made of normal buildings and has lost all of that alien majesty that makes the elder scrolls different. A dark brotherhood assassin should NEVER fear death, but there is an entire quest in ESO involving one that is (plus they're an Argonian and the method of death is poisoning!). Third the Alliances that are present in ESO would never have happened in lore, particularly the Ebonheart Pact. Argonians, Nords and Dunmer working together? How about no...

And that is just the surface. The list of lore offenses is too massive for a single post.

• 185 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:00 PM EST

Well,we can just ignore TESO...

If somebody ask, it never happened 

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:08 PM EST

Necessity isn't a good enough argument. In the real world Muslims and Jews would NEVER agree to put aside their differences simply because they had a similar foe. They would believe that because they were right their god would protect them and that even alone they could win the fight. Dunmer have been shown in EVERY game to be far to stubborn to put aside their beliefs just to save their own skins. Hell the empire were the ones who conceded when they absorbed Morrowind into the empire letting the Dunmer continue slavery and worship of their tribunal. No other race got that concession when being absorbed into the empire.

Orcs would also NEVER give up the worship of Malacath just too join with humans in an alliance that they wouldn't even see a need for. Orcs in the Elder Scrolls are far to stupid to think tactically. They'd rather fight the whole of the Aldmeri Dominion by themselves than join with Red Guards or Bretons for "protection".

Anyway it's clear that you don't follow the lore as closely as I do so that aspect of ESO may not be a problem for you. However, for anyone who is a lore buff this is just a slap in the face. If you're just looking to play the game for the game play and social aspect of an MMO then you'll probably be a lot happier with it than others who play for story and lore. I would like to tell you though that based on what I've heard of the game play you'd probably be better off playing with your friends in a different MMO if game play is all you're interested in.

• 91 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:11 PM EST

Actually we can't. Bethesda has stated that ESO is now officially canon.

• December 11, 2013 8:20 PM EST
    You could make an argument that complete immunity to every variation of poison and venom (I guess they're the same thing in TES) is one of the most absurd biological traits ever (I'm assuming it's biological. Never really looked much at Argonian lore). But I guess I can see why some people are upset by it.

That's disappointing to hear about Summmerset. Your friends tell you anything about Hammerfell? The demo that took place there had a pretty sweet environment.
    • 185 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:25 PM EST

Well,we can just ignore that Bethesda stated that ESO is officially canon...

• 490 posts
    December 11, 2013 8:26 PM EST

Not only is this, from what it seems, rife with spoilers from the beta (which goes against any beta rules, blah blah blah) it tells me your friends may not be the best sources. Also, seems like everything you have against it is just biased opinion.

Love how people somehow know how the game "will be" based on beta testing. Hilurrrrrrious.

• 34 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:15 PM EST

Even if I wanted to get it I wouldn't be able to afford to keep playing it. I love TES but I hate MMOs, especially "keep paying us monthly so you can play a game you've already bought" games, so the bad overrules the good for this. I'm going to have to give this one a miss. 

Maybe if I had any more money I would at least try it, but, not likely to happen.

• 149 posts
    December 11, 2013 9:24 PM EST

Exactly. Granted, five months isn't a lot of time to fix things, but it is time nonetheless. 

Besides, TES games have never been 100% consistent in everything. They are still, after all, video games. If a choice comes between making something lore consistent or fun from a gameplay standpoint, gameplay is going to win. Designing a game that is enjoyable and engaging to play is the ultimate goal of any developer (unless profit is their goal...).