Forums » General Gaming

I need reasons why my character has turned evil! :D

• October 29, 2013 12:53 PM EDT

Hey guys, I need reason why my imperial character would turn evil. Currently she's been doing good around Skyrim, and she's just finished the main questline. However I really want to switch up my gameplay and put her warrior style combat to Daedric use, so any ideas why my character might have changed? Thanks! :) 

• October 29, 2013 1:03 PM EDT

The best evil characters are the ones who think they are righteous. She decides that skyrim can't take care of itself so she becomes a tyrant. Kill ulfirc. Kill elisif. Dominate skyrim. Use the help of Molag Bal.

• 661 posts
    October 29, 2013 1:22 PM EDT

Her friend was brutalized in the war. I hope I dont have to explain further. Say she was violated by Legionnaires. So your character went ape-shit.

• 661 posts
    October 29, 2013 1:22 PM EDT

OR Left for dead. Best generator for a story is to always gain revenge/vengeance.

• 1 posts
    October 29, 2013 2:34 PM EDT

"You can die a hero, or live enough to be the villain."

You killed Alduin! Now, be the biggest threat against Tamriel!  

• 856 posts
    October 29, 2013 2:43 PM EDT

It can be a gradual change. Take a follower with you into battles until they die. Study necromancy in an attempt to revive your dead friend. From there blur the lines a bit until you have become 'evil'. Summary: You begin down a dark path for a noble cause, and forever spiral downward.

• 856 posts
    October 29, 2013 2:48 PM EDT

Shor says: The best evil characters are the ones who think they are righteous. I agree (surprised Shor?) - this is a great way to play an evil character. You don't have to go about it all at once - but can make gradual changes to your character; do what you have to do for the 'betterment' of Skyrim until any deed you do can be justified (in your character's own mind).

• October 29, 2013 2:52 PM EDT

I'm not surprised when someone agrees with me. I am always right after all.

• 159 posts
    October 29, 2013 2:56 PM EDT

perhaps as you gain more dadedric artifacts  you gain a lust for more knowledge or power..... or perhaps you find the people of skyrim to be evil and dishonest themselves and you feel that skyrim needs cleansing....  or perhaps if you rp being dragonborn being controlling and dominant are in a dragons nature even parthunax says this and perhaps you give in to your nature...... 

• October 29, 2013 3:02 PM EDT

Dragonborn for the win!

• 661 posts
    October 29, 2013 3:05 PM EDT

My friend`s character is like that. I dont like it. It is such a boring and derivative way of playing.

I dont mind being hypocritical about things in games, but being this kinda evil is just wrong. As well as a dumb move for anyone to do so.

• 661 posts
    October 29, 2013 3:06 PM EDT

Unless you haven`t played this kinda way I can see it being fun but I`ve seen my friend doing it too much, and it affects my gameplay as well. I always look for a better way to RP than the way he does.

• 6 posts
    October 29, 2013 3:08 PM EDT

The attempt to understand the Daedra causes their influence to slowly corrupt your character..it starts with summoning and helping "good daedra" like Azura and Meridia, but before you know it your champion of Molag Bal and trapping souls and slaughtering people in his name?

• October 29, 2013 5:13 PM EDT

You wat?

• 661 posts
    October 29, 2013 5:58 PM EDT

I dont know what? Be more specific Shor.

• 1 posts
    October 29, 2013 8:47 PM EDT

does she have any belives? talos or any other gods? is she marrierd? is she close to someone? do you have any other dlcs? dragonborn or dawnguard? i agree with shor but i also say a evil being that once was good should feel like the good they did left them/hurt them. like the vampire snow elf from dawnguard he was left behind by his god

• 856 posts
    October 30, 2013 10:28 AM EDT

I think he just called you dumb, Shor ("dumb move for anyone to do"). I think he called me dumb too, since I agreed with you. I still agree with Shor, that type of evil is a more realistic role-play - the "I'm 'evil', kill, kill, vengeance, insane" psychopath is a bit lacking, imo.

EDIT: I also like my idea below - doing the 'wrong' things for the 'right' reasons. The 'ends justify the means' type of evil.

• October 30, 2013 10:43 AM EDT

The dummies call many things dumb.

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 10:53 AM EDT

Yeah, I called you dumb.

• October 30, 2013 11:29 AM EDT

No particular reason needed. In a world and with a lifestyle that forces our characters to kill, maim, pillage and scavenge for a living, being evil is simply a step down from the dais of fairy tales and good knights and a step in a worldview that is based on pragmatism, to reevaluate what are the priorities of our character and more important of all the road they are about to partake. 

All in all our character is a hero, this does not mean that he has to look for others and save kitties but the first and foremost need is to survive. Being a Dragonborn, or if not a guild master, a person of renown, attracts many people who want to use our power for their own benefit and it attracts enemies who are jealous of our power, and in a world rife with mysticism who know what boons could the daedra or the aedra bestow upon one who has defeated such a figure of legend such as our characters.

In the end your character should realize that she is being used and she will continue to be used and abused until she would make a stand for herself. This means that she decided to keep her precious soul and the power all for herself and to not be used anymore she would begin to hoard power, spells, magic items, everything that would give her the edge and allow her to prosper and survive. 

It is not evil per se, it is self preservation. Once you learn that you are Dragonborn, immediately you are plunged into a world of enemies and interests that revolve around you, it is a choice to either serve the others or serve yourself, and your character simply decided that a good death of old age is preferable to a heroic one fighting a deadly foe on the behalf of the Nord people and their lazy Jarls, who first and foremost see in you an useful asset to further their agendas. Thus evil, but not evil as we intend, but simply egoistical.

Than from here on, the lure of power, the things you can achieve by using others to do your biding, the power that your dragon soul entitles you to, all this is intoxicating and before you can notice it you are an avatar of purpose and iron will, a monster who has become a monster in order to fight monsters, a creature that understands its divine origin, its top position in the society and than you shed your mortal flesh and you become a Dov, in mind, in blood and in soul. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    October 30, 2013 12:44 PM EDT

Eldritch fascination. Simple curiosity towards the daedra and magic. Apathy.

It doesn't have to be some soul shattering event that changes the fundamental characteristics of their personality. Maybe they just stop caring about saving the world and move towards fulfilling their own whims and desires. See where it takes you.

• 856 posts
    October 30, 2013 1:38 PM EDT

Evil, is not a point of view, imo, and can be defined (just as any word). I define evil as 'intentionally doing harm to another' - and of course there would be varying degrees of this evil. But you're entitled to your opinion.

But the OP simply wanted reasons for her character to 'become evil', not a philosophical discussion of what is or is not evil.

• October 30, 2013 2:39 PM EDT

Thank you all so much for the ideas, I never expected such great feedback! If any of you are interested, I did a combination of your suggestions: my character lost a friend in the Skyrim civil war and turned to the Aedra in an attempt to bring them back with endless prayers and rituals. However, when no help came, my character became convinced that the nine divines had abandoned Nirn entirely so she began destroying their temples and murdering all those who worshiped them. My character was supposedly helping everybody by 'cleansing' the world of their presence.

Unfortunately I cannot claim any credit for this idea, my thanks to Armathyx for 'The Dark Templar'! Such a brilliant build- it fit perfectly with my characters skills! Check it out!

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 2:41 PM EDT

Now write a story about it.

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 2:47 PM EDT

You keep referring her character to a dude when she is a she.