Forums » General Gaming

I need reasons why my character has turned evil! :D

• October 30, 2013 2:51 PM EDT

Haha, what can I say? The loss of a loved one can do crazy things, maybe not quite so extreme, but this is Skyrim we're on about ;) Anyway, perhaps the Daedra planted these thoughts in her mind? And someone who has seen so much horror in their lives would surely not be completely sane?

• 40 posts
    October 30, 2013 3:04 PM EDT

Two great ideas already, posted by Shor and RuneRed, but another thing, which could either be a stand-alone event that, on its own, caused her to go evil, or be added to the reasoning for either of the aforementioned ideas, is that one or more of her companions, perhaps even one that she's married or was thinking of marrying, dies.

• October 30, 2013 3:52 PM EDT

She loses faith in humanity as she notices that every 100 meters you walk in game you're ambushed by bandits.

• October 30, 2013 4:00 PM EDT

but being this kinda evil is just wrong

Yeah, because the purpose of playing an evil character is to do things that are right. Tell me more about dumb playstyles '^'

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 4:10 PM EDT

Wrong as in its just a very bad way of RP. It's not very unique, nor is it compelling. Its generic at the most.

I could have elaborated on that more, but never had the time.

• October 30, 2013 4:13 PM EDT

Care to explain to me what's at the other end of the spectrum of "evil" then?

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 4:30 PM EDT

What I meant was that there are different approaches to evil characters. This particular one is always mentioned. Its a great example of what evil can look like but the problem for me is that it's always used.

• October 30, 2013 4:52 PM EDT

You didn't answer my question, what are the other villain approaches?

I mean, you're calling others dumb and telling us you can judge what's a good and a "very bad way of RP" so, go ahead, let's hear your vast knowledge :)

• 661 posts
    October 30, 2013 5:31 PM EDT

I know I didn't answer your question. I didn't want to. Its like comparing a Spartan apple with a Macintosh apple. The differences are few and far in-between. If you want me to lay down some examples sure I'll do it.

You got evil right? It's basic, steal money, make life harder for others by being insensitive, and just be an asshole about things. Now you can call that wrong, and claim it's not evil just something that is bad. However it is still evil in the end, albeit petty in nature.

VS

Where as on the other hand you have pure evil. Murder, pimping, and torture (shit like that). The logic of it is that you destroy lives to better your own life.

What is the difference? You are still f**king over someone's life over.

Now we can look at what you guys are going on about. Justifying your evil. What justifies it? Killing more people, and staying alive in the end? Disown everything you once were because somebody wronged you? I dont get what makes it fun.

If you are gonna make evil characters be creative about it. Say something that people wont expect. Not have the sudden urge to kill when you see your dying friend. 

Why have the perfect morality character break? Because of some silly BS like your best-friend dying. If my best friend/family member was killed I'd probably go into a shell, not screw over the entire Province of Skyrim. Also something like would just strengthen my resolve for the current objective. Not make me go insane, and want to join some dead cult.

The more I say the more incoherent it is becoming to me. It's like this topic. The lines that separated what I stand for, and what I am against are blurring fast. All because of one question. I know that there is no difference. I know that I dont have the right to judge bad RP choices, but this one is bad.

Also dont try to contradict me on a matter that contradicts itself. Comparing evil to evil is always contradicting. The only thing I as getting at was that it is a very poor role-play experience.

• October 30, 2013 6:10 PM EDT

Kan.. things are far more complex than that. You have two categories there, being an asshole and being "evil".People in both cases are the same, everyone thinks they're right. Even when they're conscious of doing something evil, they think they're doing it for a greater good, let it be justice or satisfaction or service, you name it.

The concept of the righteous villain works, because it embraces reality as it is, and there's millions of possibilites to it. The archetype of the "pure evil" villain is extremely old and overused. I'm tired of opening comic books, manga, reading books and movies where the villain is pure evil and has no other purpose asides from pissing off people.

We're all tired of them. We like antagonists who have a purpose, who think they are right. In fact, the best antagonists are those who can leave you wondering who's right - the hero or the villain.

I don't know why you come here take a dump on that style of RP, I'd assume you just fail at it. But don't go 'round calling others dumb just because you don't like it.

• 40 posts
    October 31, 2013 3:58 PM EDT

Even better. In fact, perhaps both. Maybe the loss of someone she falls for devastates her, but she still has some optimism left, and decides to try to continue doing good by adopting a child, who gets killed in some horrific manner (the kind that make you want anyone who event hints at the behavior of someone who would do such a thing dead), and this makes her give up on trying to help the world, as it is, in her eyes at that point, too far gone.

• 78 posts
    November 20, 2013 5:19 PM EST

Yes agree with Shor too.  I love using the cocky responses to people.  My bad girl plays the rogue.  I try not to side with anyone, like the Blades and such.  I don't like people telling me what to do