Forums » Elder Scrolls

Best 'Dead Thrall' Targets

• October 20, 2013 9:11 AM EDT

Some of you may know that I am RPing a High Elf Necromancer and I have just got 'Twin Souls' (via the Necromancy branch) and Master Conjuration and 'Dead Thrall' so I'm asking what is your 2 favorite 'Dead Thrall' targets. 

• 1913 posts
    October 20, 2013 9:20 AM EDT
    Ulfric and the guy from the Meridia quest (forgot his name)
  • October 20, 2013 9:22 AM EDT

Ulfric can be Dead Thralled? 0.0

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 9:23 AM EDT

Orchendor 

• 1483 posts
    October 20, 2013 9:23 AM EDT

Yes, and he uses shouts 

• 739 posts
    October 20, 2013 9:27 AM EDT

The elder scrolls wiki has a great page on the 'best' thralls...you should check that out.

Honestly though targeting specific npc's is the worst use of Dead Thrall in my opinion. They get lost pretty easy and can spoil gameplay because you're forced to micro-manage them (Character Build: The Childminder)...

...it's far better to thrall up some dudes while playing naturally and maybe take them for the occasional dragon fight. Marauders, good casters...npc's that can be easily replaced if/when they get lost.

• October 20, 2013 9:42 AM EDT

Okay, what I'm going to do is run with Ulfric and Malkoran and placing a fetch quest item on their corpse so that I can easily find them if they do go missing, if all else fails I'll use generic NPCs.

• 47 posts
    October 20, 2013 1:06 PM EDT
    I suggest you use the ritual stow and do that so they won't turn to ash.
    • 739 posts
    October 20, 2013 1:25 PM EDT

Thralls don't turn to ash...

• 47 posts
    October 20, 2013 1:35 PM EDT
    I misread sorry. I read "dead" and didn't read thrall.
  • October 25, 2013 1:45 AM EDT

I heard Chief Yamarz for The Cursed Tribe Quest can be a really good thrall.

• 118 posts
    October 25, 2013 5:43 AM EDT
    One of the best, the problem is the same you face with every unique thrall...eventually you're going to lose him and be pissed off.

I always just went with generic thralls. I only played one character that used them but I generally just used enemies I ran into at the time, thralling the two best and moving on (exchanging one if I found someone better). I never bothered with making equipment and gearing them up with enchantments, thralls always felt like 'disposable friends' to me that I used then threw away.
  • October 25, 2013 8:05 AM EDT
    Draugr overlords and enemy mages, especially necromancers.
  • October 25, 2013 8:11 AM EDT
    I agree. They are more like disposable friends. Even if I lost a unique NPC I raised, it would only put me on the hunt for a suitable replacement.
    • 118 posts
    October 25, 2013 8:12 AM EDT
    I found necromancers to be borderline worthless, can only raise lower level bodies and ruin corpses
  • October 25, 2013 7:52 PM EDT

James I would hate to be one of your friends!

• 5 posts
    October 25, 2013 9:29 PM EDT

There is a great mixed pair of thralls at Alftand in the persons of Umana and Sulla Trebatius.

• 268 posts
    October 26, 2013 12:38 PM EDT
    The best pair of unique ones are Yamarz and Orchendor. Orchendor is a nigh immortal mage, immune to magic and teleports to heal. Yamarz has 1200 health if thralled afte the Curse Tribe. But generic thralls like bandits and Dawnguard vamp hunters make good ones, and you don't have a fit when you lose them.
    • 95 posts
    November 24, 2013 8:16 AM EST

I do not remeber where I've read this, but some unique NPCs (I remeber Ulfric was mentioned) keep getting XP as thralls. So if you use them and they die, it is possible that you won't be able to reanimate them because they exceed the level cap (40, 50 if necromage is unlocked). But anyway I plan to create a character based on dead thralls, Invest a lot in crafting skills to improve the thralls' gear :D

• 70 posts
    November 24, 2013 11:47 AM EST

Forsworn are great thralls, you can easily grab more if you lose them as forsworn camps reset every 10 days. The high level dual wielding ones have nearly all the One-Handed perks making them very efficient killers. The archers have Power Shot and Quick Shot, and they can heal themselves. The "Forsworn Ravager" found at Karthspire Camp can summon a Frost Atronach and use the adept level spells. The best part is that you can easily replace all of these thralls if you lose them.

• 26 posts
    November 24, 2013 1:53 PM EST

Dremora Mage. No need to give them healing potions, as they can use Resto magic. And Fireballs. On my Battlemage I always make sure to take two on a siege.