Forums » Elder Scrolls

Newbie gameplay questions

• 3 posts
    October 2, 2013 9:09 AM EDT

Hello everyone,

I've been playing Skyrim a lot lately (bought the legendary edition), and I've got some total newbie questions for your hardened veterans. I hope this section of the forum allows for it. Here goes:

1- There's the base game and three add-ons. Does it matter in which order you play the add-ons?

2- If you skip / wait with the main quest and do for instance the Dawnguard add-on first, does it matter to the game, or the play through?

3- The add-ons bring new thingies to wear, new potions etc. Do you need to activate the add-on first? Or enter the new zones? Or is the new stuff present in the old world as well?

4- I usually play a thiefy character, mostly because I suck at playing magic based characters. When you steal and pickpocket a lot, how does the AI and NPC work with that? Do they re-acquire new stuff / gold? Does the game simply restock them over and over?

5- Often when playing and reaching level 5-10 I find that suddenly stuff gets harder to kill, or they hit harder back at me. Is this normal as in you just have to grind through it and after a certain level you start to outperform the AI again? Or is it just a L2P issue?

That's what I could think of for now. I will probably think of more during my daily death by magic sessions :-p

Grts

R.

• 1483 posts
    October 2, 2013 9:16 AM EDT

1. No

2. No

3. Depends on the stuff. Some is added to the world, some is DLC quest/faction specific.

4. NPCs reset their inventory after few in-game days. They carry some random items, and an amount of gold both of which change after reset.

5. Enemies level with you, but they have level caps. For example you'll never meet level 80 bandit. Zones spawn enemies according to the level you are when enter them. So if you are level 1 when entering Embersheard Mine there will only be regular Bandits, but if you are level 50, you will meet Bandit Highwaymen, Bandit Marauder enemies which are significantly tougher.

You don't need grinding for the character be viable. There are a lot of No Crafting builds in CB group which are perfectly viable on even the highest difficulties

• 856 posts
    October 2, 2013 11:21 AM EDT

An additional note on Vazgen's #5 reply. Zones spawn enemies according to the level you are when you first enter them. If you are level 1 when entering Embersheard Mine, there will only be regular Bandits. If you exit the area and return again at level 20, the zone will still have level 1 enemies (assuming you didn't 'clear' the dungeon - in which case there would be no enemies ).

• 856 posts
    October 2, 2013 11:47 AM EDT

I've often entered dungeons - realized the enemies were a bit too tough for me (I play dead is dead), and returned after gaining a few levels. I'm fairly certain that just entering a dungeon is enough.  Also, from the UESPwiki:

The level of the location is set at the first visit, based on your current level. This means that the level of the enemies and the loot will be the same when you return to that location. When an area is too difficult to complete at the current level, you can return to location later when you have leveled to try again.

I'm uncertain if that applies to dungeons with more than one zone unless they've been entered too.

If clearing the dungeon does indeed level lock the enemies' respawn too, what is the point? Here I wish the converse was true, that the new spawns were set at current level upon entry. (Strangely, I've never returned to a cleared dungeon - again it would've been pointless anyway - in 30 days, I would've leveled many times)>

• 856 posts
    October 2, 2013 11:57 AM EDT

Since you are a self-proclaimed newbie, you may find this post "Adventuring Tips", helpful. Keep in mind that I wrote it the same month the game came out (and never updated it), so some of the methods mentioned may not be optimal. The comments may contain some useful information as well.

• 856 posts
    October 2, 2013 12:09 PM EDT

That's cool, I'll check it out in one of my play-throughs (at some distant future time).

• 29 posts
    October 2, 2013 12:27 PM EDT

Wow this is very helpful to me as well I started playing Skyrim back in April, for months I blindly ran around with no rhyme or reason...  After I started googling the game it helped and then finding this place was immensely helpful! 

• 3 posts
    October 2, 2013 4:43 PM EDT

Thanks that was very helpfull. I didn't even know there was cooking in the game *doh*.

And from reading your adventuring article I have come to the conclusion that I need less rambo and more ninja in my playstyle.

• 3 posts
    October 2, 2013 4:46 PM EDT

Thanks all for the replies. I've started a fresh character, and I'm trying to take it slow this time, putting more  focus on my Alchemy, and the use of potions. Instead of rushing into combat seizing up the enemies, luring them away and picking them of one by one.

It's tricky, because my inner Rambo keeps yelling "Charggge" all the time 

This new character uses a shield (never tried that before) and badabing, is it powerfull or what ... Blocking a blow often makes an enemy stagger (if it's called that) which gives you a lot of room for some quick strikes and jabs. I'm really loving shields atm.