Forums » Elder Scrolls

I Can't Mount My Horse Anymore (PC version)

• 27 posts
    September 22, 2013 8:12 PM EDT

Hi All I was hoping you can help me resolve a problem. I can no longer mount my horse. I push the E key to mount and nothing happens. I can't even access my storage on my horse anymore. Can you help? I recently was experiencing some crash to desktop issues.  I used BOSS to determine if I had a load order issue with my mods. BOSS indicated that my Better Horses Mod was no longer needed and could be interfering, so I deactivated it and uninstalled. Well, when I went to mount my horse I couldn't anymore.  I even tried using a different horse mod, that didn't work either.. I was afraid of breaking my game again so, wasn't sure what to do.  As always any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated

• 1913 posts
    September 22, 2013 8:16 PM EDT
    And this my dear children is why mods are bad for you :P
    • 1483 posts
    September 22, 2013 8:28 PM EDT

Bryn, we get that you don't like mods but please, don't try to convince others in your delusions.

Andrew, you might get more help in The Modder's Workshop. There is a thread there named Need Help? Ask a Modder! for such matters. For your question its usually best to contact the mod author, bu there are other options. Have you tried reinstalling the Better Horses mod? Looks like you don't experience CTDs anymore so there are good news. Do you use Wrye Bash?

• 69 posts
    September 22, 2013 8:31 PM EDT

This might sound dumb, but you should restart your PC. I've had this problem with convenient horses once or twice and a restart seemed to do the trick.

• 1913 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:18 PM EDT
    I was joking... Did you not see the ":P"?
    • 27 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:19 PM EDT

Vazgen,  I appreciate your reply. No, I haven't tried reinstalling the mod, because i wasn't sure if it would break the game. But i did go to the Nexxus website and checked out the mod's page and apparently the Mod creator has abandoned the project and is no longer supporting this mod. He however states that he plans on working on a new horse mod, similar to Better Horses, but no timeframe given. But I will try re-installing. Do you recommend a fresh install from the Nexxus site or just reinstall & reactivate? Also no, I don't use Wrye Bash. One last thing....My horse was armored, will that be restored as well as by saddlebag inventory do you think?

• 27 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:21 PM EDT

Thanks Phose, i will try that as well.

• 1483 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:40 PM EDT
    It should be if horse armor was added by a mod and you load the save file with armor. Reinstall & Reactivate should work fine. Use Wrye Bash, Boss is integrated in it and (at least for me) sorts mods better than standalone version. It allows you to create Bashed Patch to combine mods and avoid conflicts. The link for it and tutorial can be found in Introduction to Modding page here: theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/the-modder-s-workshop/forum/topics/introduction-to-modding

Your save is likely already broken as there is no safely uninstalling mods especially the script-heavy mods like Better Horses. But you may not even notice it. The inability to mount a horse is most likely some residue script or changed script of another mod. Do you replace anything during the installation? You can also try to disable and enable the horse via console (same commands - disable and then enable) to reset it.
    • 27 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:42 PM EDT
    Vazgen, I reinstalled the mod & it worked! I can mount my horse! I jus have to see if I can get my armor back. Thanks a lot!
    • 1483 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:43 PM EDT
    I did see it Bryn. But I would prefer some helping comment or nothing at all instead of that joke. If I were asking for help I wouldn't want unrelated jokes as replies.
    • 1483 posts
    September 22, 2013 9:45 PM EDT
    No problem! Glad everything worked out!
    • 1913 posts
    September 22, 2013 10:00 PM EDT
    But it was so easy! :P
    • 27 posts
    July 12, 2014 2:11 AM EDT

Hello again, I am having the same issue again with not being able to mount my horse. I started a second playthrough with Dawnguard & new character, so I'm starting from scratch. I no longer have The Better Horses mod because it was crashing my game, so I deleted it. But I kept my horse armor mod. I purchased a horse in Whiterun again with the horse armor already on the her. I went to mount & I couldn't. Any new suggestions. Thanks as always.