Forums » Elder Scrolls

Vampires and Werewolves! Why even include them?

• 37 posts
    January 15, 2012 6:37 AM EST

This is something that has really bothered me since Oblivion, why do they bother including the option to become a vampire(and now a werewolf aw well in Skyrim) if they are not really going to give us anything to do except seek a cure?? I don't think its a good enough excuse to say that its up to the player to role-play their condition, something i have been doing myself(and enjoying if i'm honest) since becoming a vampire, it still does not excuse the fact that i would like some vampire specific quests to give my creature of the night some aim instead of just having a cure quest. I have not tried out lycanthropy yet but i gather its the same thing, basically being quest free once you transform. I understand that these conditions exist in the lore of the world and to not have them in the game would greatly take away from it. Thats fine, have vampires and werewolves in the game but don't bother letting them be contractible diseases for the player if you are not going to give us anything other than a few perks and stat changes and a measly cure quest. I no i'm not alone in this thinking, as before the games release, many fans of the series voiced their want for vampire and werewolf quest lines to be included in the game if the conditions existed in the game. These may be added in some form of dlc but for me this is still not good enough, they should have been included from the get go imo its like being able to become an assassin and then having to pick your own contracts without any guild to guide you or give you direction, granted this is an extreme comparison and i am venting a fair bit in this statement but tell me am i alone in this?????

• 426 posts
    January 15, 2012 7:05 AM EST

I don't think that you are alone I was mightily diappointed with the werewolf feature even though it was part of a guild quest line. I would expect that they will release a dlc. To me it feels like there are a number of areas including the vampire/werewolf that felt unfinished or had the feeling there should be more. Hopefully Im right and the first dlc will be a bonanza for us all.

• 773 posts
    January 15, 2012 9:52 AM EST

It's a pity that the Vampires don't have some sort of Guild or cult to join, with quests and some sort of 'society' where they can interact with one another.

It's a very realistic option for a DLC, falling that I am certain that somebody will want to create a Vampire Guild mod (at least for PC users)

• January 15, 2012 10:34 AM EST

Honestly I have always seen Vampirism has a bad thing and never really looked into explore it. From the moment you become a vampire, the only thing that you benefit with is the small stat increase. The fact that every1 will start to discriminate you, and you wont be able to go out during day really makes vampirism (sorry for the therm) a pain in the a**.

I fell however that if they added some short of cult, vampire friends or a quest line to it, would make things A LOT more interesting! 

• 557 posts
    January 15, 2012 11:55 AM EST

I feel as if they will make a some sort of DLC that involves a cult of lycanthropes or vampires. I was disappointed in the diseases.  

• 7 posts
    January 15, 2012 12:04 PM EST

No, youre not alone.

• 7 posts
    January 15, 2012 12:10 PM EST

Oh, c'mon guys, even for werewolves. I am for vampires, but since they added them, and i am one, i believe, they should add more of it. Even companions themselves, they should change some time themselves, go out for beast hunts together... Or the fact that the only werewolves that you meet, other than the Companions, both die? Or imagine random bandits in the wild for instance, they should be able to turn, imagine once you come close to him, he changes, that would be nice... One more thing, i find it stupid that as a werewolf you can feed only on humans. They should add also the Nature animals, i mean, a werewolf would wo hunting and eat deers, elks,foxes, even bears and mammoths. Well, not wolves.

Or other things like Namiras dinner, you should be able to organize them and such stuff.

On one hand, one would think that in a free game like that, maybe its too much. But since they added unlimited quest and auto-repeating ones, like bounties and assasinations, its plausible.  

• 37 posts
    January 15, 2012 1:33 PM EST

I think a radiant quest were the companions go on a hunt together on the same night once a week would be really cool and while i understand why you would like to feed on animals it is not what werewolves seemingly do in Tamriel, as far as i can gather, Hircine gifted the races with lycanthropy so they could hunt each other, but i could be wrong on that account. 

• 37 posts
    January 15, 2012 1:38 PM EST

Adding a newly formed coven of vampires that the infected player could seek out and join would make for an interesting dlc imo and there does appear to be a market for such a thing. However i do feel if it was a standalone pack it probably wouldn't sell as well as it would if it was includedas part of one of the bigger dlc packs, perhaps one that also included a joinable, rival necromancer guild maybe???

• 37 posts
    January 15, 2012 1:42 PM EST

To be honest i felt the same,  the vampire and werewolf disease were added just for the wow factor and not nearly fleshed out or given as much attention as i feel they should. Contracting either disease should have more impact on the player and have far significance than they do at the moment and i hope its addressed in some dlc 

• 29 posts
    January 15, 2012 3:00 PM EST

I think it's a wonderful opportunity to create your own, self-given quest. I personally have taken it upon myself to eradicate all werewolf hunters.

• 9 posts
    January 15, 2012 6:31 PM EST

i have to agree with people when they are talking about dlc for the lycanthropy and vamprism. i cant say im totally disappointed with being a werewolf though. i find it very fun to jump on a vampire and rip his throat out 

• 16 posts
    January 15, 2012 9:47 PM EST

Dont complain about it if you don't use it, its not affecting you in any way

• 29 posts
    January 15, 2012 10:54 PM EST

I thought there would be Vampirism side quests within the DB, but there weren't.  I really hope there will at least be a DB side-quest line in TESVI or maybe in DLC.  I tried becoming a vampire last week, but wanted to get the cure ASAP.  Skyrim during the day is too beautiful to give up and I wish there were different disadvantages, although they make sense lore-wise.  I really like werewolves in the game, however.  When travelling by foot, everything is much faster, although I would like a method of healing.  I didn't have the discipline to go after the Werewolf totems, because I felt like I was done with the companions.  I wish that their availability was made more clear.  

• January 16, 2012 12:49 AM EST

I'm pretty sure that the Totems enhance your howl attack, which is triggered by Z. And you can also heal by eating people. Haven't become a vamp yet but prob will at some point with somebody.

• 38 posts
    January 16, 2012 1:28 AM EST

I agree that there should be quests, but even without, its still fun to be a werewolf or vampire.

There was a vampire dream in oblivion that describes the player returning from a task for an ancient vampire, but you realise you've stuffed up when the vampires kill you. This sort of thing would make a good quest line.