Forums » Elder Scrolls

Mages - I just can't play as them!

• 622 posts
    August 19, 2013 8:02 PM EDT

Like the title says, I have never been able to play as a mage. I don't think I ever got past Level 10 with the two I made once. I just can't play as them because 1) My Magicka Regeneration sucks and 2) I always seem to end up dying because some bandit decides to finish me with his hammer. 

Am I the only one who has this problem or am I doing something wrong?

• 1 posts
    August 19, 2013 8:16 PM EDT

Have you tried 2m/1h/0s for stats as you level.

Keeping a dagger on hand for when you go oom(out of magicka)

Enchant your daggers with elemental damage. (dont worry about the lack of perks in the beginning)

• 13 posts
    August 19, 2013 8:29 PM EDT

Mages are for late games.

• 116 posts
    August 19, 2013 9:44 PM EDT
    The only mages I was able to stand playing was my pure electric destruction mage (named Raiden lol) and my current shield mage, somehow staying in close and shield bashing fools while launching destruction spells is too damn fun
    • 25 posts
    August 19, 2013 10:19 PM EDT

I hate destruction mages in Skyrim I think you gotta mix it up destruction should be the least of your worries I have no problem frenzying a large group of people and then summoning a dremora lord then go invisible, sit back grab some popcorn and enjoy the chaos I just created

And that with only two magic schools don't even get me started on how much fun you can have with paralyze

• 409 posts
    August 19, 2013 10:54 PM EDT
    I am the same way. Have only ever started 2 and on the first I lasted to level 11, the second lasted to level 7.
    • 485 posts
    August 20, 2013 12:13 AM EDT

Stick to spraying type spells early on (til about lvl 10 -15 or so). Even dual casted, they are rather easy on magic costs and unless you're playing on a high difficulty, will be more than enough to dispatch most mundane enemies. 

Keep the Novice Hood you get in Helgen, or at the very least have in your possession apparel that adds extra magicka. Whenever you're magicka is fully depleted, de-equip and re-equip this item. It will refill your magicka by whatever amount of magicka it adds. 

Staves are also a huge help at lower levels. When your magicka is running low and the fight is still ongoing, switch to your staves until your magicka pool has recovered.

I hope that helps. Don't give up. Mages can be a very rewarding gameplay experience if you stick with it.

• 118 posts
    August 20, 2013 2:50 AM EDT
    Probably the only thing i truly like about playing as a mage is it's the only style where I feel no real need to use any crafting, it certainly helps but isn't mandatory. It's also the easiest style to quickly become overpowered assuming you use either illusion or conjuration (using both is just a joke to me). The only time I've really enjoyed destruction was when using SkyRE, the spells scale at a perfect rate and it was extremely fun; Vanilla Skyrim I'd have to use Alchemy to play as a destruction mage.
    • 70 posts
    August 20, 2013 4:15 AM EDT

Mages are great, but you have to watch that they don't get too OP once they start rolling.

To counter dying too easily, you could mix armour types - there are many great magical artefacts that are classed as Heavy or Light armour. You could start off using a dragon priest mask, heavy gauntlets and boots and a robe to keep magicka regeneration high. A shield could also be added to reduce squishiness.

What skills do you usually perk when playing a mage? They've always seemed to me like the strongest of the three archetypes -.-

• 158 posts
    August 20, 2013 4:29 AM EDT

Earlier on you don't want to be taking on a warhammer up close. As a mage you have the advantage of range over the former and should use it. A pure mage that uses no weaponry are difficult to start off with, but as mentioned in other comments, late game you will be able to stand toe to toe with the toughest of enemies.

Additionally, it has a bit to do with the character itself. A pure Des mage with robes is going to have no defence unless they go for alteration. If you don't do alter and stick with the robes, expect to die. A lot. Mixing and matching magic schools are what i think being a pure mage is about, plus, it's tons of fun!

• 485 posts
    August 20, 2013 9:00 AM EDT

I personally prefer enemies to stay back at archer range. If its a fire fight they want, my fire power easily trumps theirs. 

• August 20, 2013 12:42 PM EDT

I love mages in Skyrim, well I digress...they are usually spellswords or shield mages.  I have run a complete level 52 playthrough with my personalized version of Henson's Fearmonger, which was an absolute blast.  I understand your frustration Tae-Rai, pure mages have a steep curve in the beginning, but they do become powerhouses near mid-game.  Try pairing illusion and conjuration with destruction (fear, raise dead/atronach, projectile element...rinse and repeat) for a better survival rate and more satisfying playthrough.

• JTA
    • 1 posts
    August 20, 2013 1:24 PM EDT

Well i play as a mage, on legendary.....

and i find that the Calm spell can be really usefull, if an enemy is coming straight at you, and you know that you cant beat him in close range. Just use calm on them, get away, or fight them a little bit use calm when they get to close, and just repeat 

Note: it really helps having a follower whit you in the beginning, to be tank while you cast from distance.

• August 20, 2013 1:39 PM EDT

2) I always seem to end up dying because some bandit decides to finish me with his hammer. 

Stop playing DiD then. I always give up on my DiD if I'm enjoying the character.

I actually find mages too overpowered, and really boring to play after a while. If you go like, Illusion/Destruction/Conjuration there's just no way you can die.

• August 20, 2013 2:18 PM EDT

"Illusion/Destruction/Conjuration there's just no way you can die."  This statement is why I suggested the build in my previous post.

The hilarious happenings with this type of build made it fun for me.  Fear, blast, kill, raise and watch as their ex-buddy slaughters them, all whille laughing maniacally. 

• August 20, 2013 2:52 PM EDT

Yeah but its also boring as hell after a while, I prefer S/S over everything because it's always more challenging.

• August 20, 2013 4:49 PM EDT

Opinions vary, but I do agree that the spellsword/battlemage character builds are more challenging, more fun and less magika dependent. 

• August 20, 2013 4:51 PM EDT

Ah by S/S I mean Sword/Shield not spellsword

• 74 posts
    August 27, 2013 7:33 PM EDT
    Get a tank follower like Mjoll (although she can't die so she is a little cheap) to Take hits. Also Flesh spells help greatly, only if you don't wear armor. Conjuration and Illusion are like eggs and bacon, that is they work well with each other. If you are a vampire get necromage it will boost the power of your enchantments by 25%. And I've heard that some people combine alchemy and enchanting to enable them to cast spells for 0 magika. Using these tips, your wizard can become an unstoppable force of destruction. Hopefully this helps. :)
  • Tim
    • 89 posts
    August 28, 2013 1:28 PM EDT

Just get a follower for the first bit, they'll keep you safe. Another trick I like is to grab the Novice Hood from Helgen and favorite it, then hotkey it to the d-pad. You can pop it off and back on again with a rapid double tap on the d-pad to get an instant 30 magicka. You can also get an Apprentice Hood if you start House of Horrors in Markarth. Finally, when I play a pure mage, I prioritize Alteration, if you put up an Alteration spell every time an enemy is present, you can pretty rapidly make it to level 30 Alteration for the first Mage Armor perk. That goes a long way toward keeping you alive. Naturally, it also helps to not get hit, don't be afraid to backpedal or turn and run if you're low on health.

• 622 posts
    September 4, 2013 4:49 AM EDT

Just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful tips! (Late I know, forgive me)

At the moment I am playing an pure Argonian mage named Kai-Rae who specializes in using Fury to turn his foes against each and using flesh spells in combat. Raising zombies is also included :D

• 2 posts
    September 4, 2013 5:17 AM EDT

Hmmm, as long as you don't do it already, try to skill armor as much as possible (I prefer Heavy Armor by the way), so you ain't that vulnerable when you can't finish of enemies before they enter clsoe combat.
    Another thing you could do is have one destruction-spell and a wardspell in your hands permanently. Or you summon an aide that, in the best case, pulls of an enemy of you if you get aggro from more than one foe.

• 409 posts
    September 4, 2013 6:13 AM EDT
    I have decided to take another shot at a mage and am RPing a Telvanni wizard. It seems to be good so far so I am keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly.
    • 622 posts
    September 4, 2013 7:12 AM EDT

I'm trying that now, thanks for the tip

• 2 posts
    September 4, 2013 11:31 AM EDT

You're welcome - I know that feel, mages are really tough the first few levels till you get enough blast to kill your foes before they might hit you - same problem as in oblivion >_>