Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where do you draw the line?

• 485 posts
    August 16, 2013 2:47 PM EDT
    I'm curious to know what glitches do people find acceptable in character builds and which ones do they feel break the game. Where do you guys draw your line?
    • 1483 posts
    August 16, 2013 2:53 PM EDT

Hmm, even non-glitches such as in-game perks and weapons might be used to break the game. It all comes down to how extensively you rely on a glitch and how far are you ready to push it. Myself I don't like glitches in builds. I can acknowledge the creative uses of them and they do indeed provide very unique gameplay opportunities. However, I play with Unofficial Patch which fixes 99% of these glitches (the only one not fixed is the werewolf gauntlets glitch, I think) and I won't be able to play those builds. It all comes down to balancing your game. For example, NoSnakes Master Monk can be pushed so much that you'll kill enemies in one hit. Some people might prefer that, and some people might just raise the damage a little to match, say, with a steel sword.

• 152 posts
    August 16, 2013 3:04 PM EDT

agreed with totally

• 249 posts
    August 16, 2013 4:22 PM EDT
    The only glitch I use is the duplication glitch every great once in a while. Even then it's only to duplicate things like Ancient Falmer Armor so I can place different enchants on it later on. Other than that, I am against glitches because they're usually game breaking.
    • 48 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:12 PM EDT

I'm pretty anti-glitch myself.  If it's something simple like a piece of armor being classified as "Light Armor" but having it also qualify for "Heavy Armor" perks, or a piece of armor that doesn't interfere with the "Mage Armor" perk, that's ok to me.  I don't have to do anything weird.  I'm just equipping the armor the way it is in the game.  If they ever patch it, I just use another piece of equipment.  

However, duplicating items, equipping multiple copies of the same item, abusing Alchemy to super-charge stone effects, etc. are usually going too far for me.  They go against the "spirit" of the game to me.  Even Mason's Sentinel builds leave a bad taste in my mouth.  The only one I liked was the Bronze Sentinel before he updated it when he was just using a standard, unaltered Atronach Stone.

There's only been one build that I liked that used these types of glitches.  That was No snakes aLive's Master Monk, and that was only because he was using those glitches to fix what he saw as a deficiency in the game, instead of using it to become overpowered.

• 485 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:26 PM EDT
    Much like nosnakesalive, I use glitches to fix glaring deficiencies in the game. Let's be honest, sky rim isn't the most balanced RPG out there. Unarmed is totally gimped and destruction is hopelessly underpowered unless you want to grind enchanting for hours to reduce spell costs. That is where I draw my line.

But I am generally open to the use of glitches, so long as the build's author can convince me that the game is still capable of presenting a challenge to his build. Naturally the author abusing the resto glitch to create 9000 damage bows for his sneak assassin, will have a much harder case than the guy whose just using the necromage perk for his vampire build. What I value is balance. If a build is going to utilize a glitch or any known OP arrangement of perks, skills, etc, they need to have something to balance that.
    • 249 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:34 PM EDT
    Well said!
    • 661 posts
    August 16, 2013 6:23 PM EDT

I'm not sure. I only know of about three glitches, other than that. The only glitches I come across are Quest ones and NPC ones. So its a thin margin for me, either way I dont think its crossing a line. Skyrim can be and is a hard game; the glitches/bugs present help more then one would notice. (IE Dawnstar Chest, Deth-Roll, etc...)

• 9 posts
    August 16, 2013 10:39 PM EDT

I don't use glitches, at least not knowingly. I just try to play the game as best I can, and save a lot.

• August 16, 2013 11:18 PM EDT

I play the game normally the first time around. No glitches/mods. In subsequent play-throughs, I will use glitches, having already completed the game normally.

• 116 posts
    August 17, 2013 12:51 AM EDT

This sums up my opinion to a "T."

• 1913 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:19 AM EDT
    According to others, I would beg to differ on the OP nature of it
    • 116 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:24 AM EDT

Complete immunity to Magic isn't really such a small thing...

• 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:27 AM EDT

It dominates for a reason. It's a tank that becomes an even bigger tank when exposed to magic. It's weakness? It's got no sneakiness, or talent with bows. Move on please.

• 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:32 AM EDT

I draw the line where the build has absolutely no weakness. I just don't like the idea of exploiting alchemy, enchanting, and smithing to make a build immune to everything. I don't mind small things like The Master Monk and The Obsidian.

• August 17, 2013 1:35 AM EDT
    Challenge accepted.
    • 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:53 AM EDT

I know you worked on him with it. What I'm wondering is why you lashed out on me for defending your point that it has it's weaknesses, I experienced the build differently than you though, so in my experience I guess I focused more on melee since I had little trouble dispatching bandit camps on Expert(+) Without a method of ranged combat and little sneaking prowess the build has at least a few obvious weaknesses, this is a good thing.

• 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:54 AM EDT

Ok, I guess lashed out wasn't the best choice of a word for what you were trying to do, I'm too tired to think of a different word..

• August 17, 2013 1:55 AM EDT
    Wait, you mean the Utopian?
    • 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 1:58 AM EDT

Subliminally, yes I dislike the Utopian. I also dislike Jaundice McYellow.

• August 17, 2013 2:03 AM EDT
    I was talking to Ben :P
    • 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 2:09 AM EDT

Nomad?

• August 17, 2013 2:12 AM EDT
    The Archein? It used dual axes and sword & board.
    • 1913 posts
    August 17, 2013 2:13 AM EDT
    Was it a long word that started with an "A"? If so, I know what you were referring to
    • 167 posts
    August 17, 2013 2:15 AM EDT

Sorry if I'm wrong, not too familiar with his builds since they didn't interest me too much.