Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where do you draw the line?

• 48 posts
    August 17, 2013 2:25 AM EDT

For me, it's not really about whether it is overpowering or not.  It's that it feels like you're going out of your way to purposely exploit a flaw in how the game was put together.  I don't know whether the designers intended the fortify restoration effects to affect the standing stones or not, but it feels, to me, like they shouldn't.  The stones feel like they should be something special, that grant a unique ability / benefit outside of any temporary effects you might be using. Or, the boosts from the potions should wear off once the potions wear off.

Whether its overpowered or not, that's the part that doesn't sit right with me.

The mechanics of the Master Monk glitches feel even worse but I'm willing to overlook that as it was used in an attempt to make a style of combat viable that was practically removed from the game entirely.  The shout cooldowns on that build I really don't like though, and being on PC, I'd rather just install a mod that adds a proper unarmed skill into the game instead of relying on these glitches.

Overall though, I'd much rather play a build with no glitches whatsoever.

• 1913 posts
    August 17, 2013 3:33 AM EDT
    The archmage revamp build?
    • 116 posts
    August 17, 2013 3:44 AM EDT

Yeah, this is a point I argued in City of Heroes all the time!  There were several things that players did all the time in that game that I just refused to do on the grounds that they were unintended and thereby not "valid" tactics.  There was one particular Task Force (a series of quests strung together that all had to be completed in order to recieve a certain reward at the end) in which most folks purposely failed one of the missions because it made the Task Force faster to run, and therefore it got you the reward faster.

But, for me, it was never about the reward (or in the present conversation, the power), it was about the principle behind the thing.  I could never wrap my head around deliberately exploiting mechanics in a game... I mean, if you want to make your play time shorter... well, PLAY less.  Don't cheat to get the effect of doing something you didn't do.

Okay, that last part really diverged from the topic at hand, but it expresses the basic sentiment I work with in terms of glitches and exploits in games.  As said, the Transformation Chat Glitch used in the Master Monk is an interesting thing... at first I used it rather willingly, but even that made me feel weird and I lost interest in a character I was otherwise enjoying. 

• 739 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:06 AM EDT

It depends how much the glitch breaks the 'feel' of my character, Dawnstar chest glitch is something I avoid like the plague, same as the Oghma glitch. Using the restoration loop through alchemy/enchant is something I've dabbled in during testing but wouldn't use in a published build. I don't like unlimited shouts, shout time reduction is one thing but spamming unrelenting force none stop doesn't do it for me...

It's been pointed out that many of my own builds use some kind of glitch (atronach stone manipulation is my most infamous) but it's always been an integral part of the character in question.

It became quickly obvious to me when I first started character building that slightly 'OP' builds sell very nicely, people just don't give a toss about your characters RP interactions with Alvor in Riverwood, they want a written guide on how to create something interesting, and often monstrous...

To do this sometimes you have to break a few rules so that your build actually offers something that others can only dream of. For me anything less than that becomes a mediocre character journal that people just aren't going to get excited about...

If you go out of your way to write a build, one would hope that someone is actually going to play it...

...otherwise you just wrote an autobiography and it becomes ancient history.

• 9 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:10 AM EDT

Upon reflection, I do realize one "glitch" I use. Free training from the companions. To me it actually makes sense that a band of warriors would work together to improve each other's skills. Still, if it's not technically a glitch, it is an exploit, so i think it counts.

• 739 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:14 AM EDT

I'll also happily spam soul trap at a corpse to reach 100 in conj, It just gets sooooo slow once you hit the 60s-70s...

I'm pretty guilt-free with that one as long as I've paid my dues by levelling normally during the first half of the playthrough.

• 1483 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:22 AM EDT

I think there are things that have not yet been explored Mason (without using glitches). I myself cam across three  There are whole non-explored combat styles there, just waiting for someone to make a build of them!

Nice to see you back, been a long time since you commented in places other than your builds! 

• 485 posts
    August 17, 2013 9:04 AM EDT
    Very well said. Rp is cool and all, but people do wanna see something new. There's many ways to break the rules a bit without going too far. So long as the build is balanced its all good.
    • 485 posts
    August 17, 2013 9:11 AM EDT
    I've been dabbling with the idea of using the nightingale shadow cloak glitch for my next build. Its the glitch that let's you turn invisible whenever you crouch. I fear that might make things too easy though.
    • 268 posts
    August 17, 2013 7:11 PM EDT
    I think the Spectre uses that glitch. Is it the one with shadow warrior and the cloak? Where you always turn invisible when you crouch?
    • 485 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:21 PM EDT
    Yea that one. I've ultimately decided against it though. Wouldn't for what I'm working on.
  • August 17, 2013 8:47 PM EDT

I enjoy playing Skyrim without glitches, and honestly I prefer those that use as few glitches as possible to function (none being best). I'm that kind of player that can't enjoy a game if I feel I'm not following the spirit of the game, even if I'm technically still within the bounds of the rules. Heck, I'm the kind of player that enjoys a game most when I impose arbitrary limitations on myself.

I understand that some conceptual builds (like the Master Monk and others) rely on glitches to function, and in that case the glitch is a means to an end - if you enjoy playing that character, there's nothing wrong with it. Me, though, I like seeing the game as a puzzle - it's all the more enjoyable when you stick to the rules, and it's even better when you find a clever way to beat the puzzle with even more restrictions on solutions.

• 48 posts
    August 17, 2013 8:48 PM EDT
    Those types of glitches I'm ok with too. They just take the tedium out of the game, and they're rarely mentioned as a key way to put together a build. It's more a personal preference of the player to "cheat" or not at that point. I often use the console to level Smithing only because running through Nchuand-Zel for the twentieth time collecting metal gets a tad dull. ;)
  • August 17, 2013 11:00 PM EDT

I draw the line at the unlimited shout restoration glitch. I think that, as the great and powerful Dovahkiin, I should be able to use the Thu'um like any other dragon. 

• 116 posts
    August 18, 2013 12:20 AM EDT

What's weird, is as anti-glitch as I am... I don't have an issue with the Dawnstar Chest, since in my mind, interacting with it does not happen in-character at all since the chest doesn't really exist.  It's basically just a free way to earn some gold and to get some easy access to a few kinds of enchants.  (And Soul Gems.)

• 116 posts
    August 18, 2013 12:23 AM EDT

Personally, I am more interested in a build with an intriguing RP angle than necessarily some "new" mechanic.  Perhaps I am in the minority on that one, not sure.

I mean, essentially, every combo of skills that can be put together with even a modicum of synergy has been done so... what is wide-open, is the spin you put on WHY they go together.  At least in my opinion.

• 485 posts
    August 18, 2013 9:51 AM EDT

I think there's still way more combos that we've yet to explore, but I agree a nice spin does help sell it sometimes. 

• 6 posts
    August 18, 2013 12:48 PM EDT

Agreed. Restraint is key in these sorts of situations. You could play two Master Monk builds; one completely OP and one normal. I myself play a Master Monk that uses perhaps a bit more damage than necessary, but most things still kill me pretty easily.

• 485 posts
    August 18, 2013 1:02 PM EDT

Restraint and balance always serves a player well in a game like Skyrim. For one it's tedious as hell, for example, to max out 3 crafting skills. It also makes the game boring. There's nothing I dislike more than being able to beat a game with no challenge. 

Its why I like character builds with definite flaws and weaknesses. I like the idea of being no match for the enemy if I'm unable to perform whatever the character build's battle tactics are.

• 490 posts
    August 18, 2013 1:13 PM EDT
    Lol
    • 485 posts
    August 18, 2013 1:23 PM EDT

True, but neither is the inability to recharge it.

• 485 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:03 PM EDT

What's this Dawnstar chest glitch I keep hearing about?

• 661 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:11 PM EDT

You can pretty much boost your enchanting and smithing to 100 with this. All you have to do is goto the left of that cave right past the Jarl's palace. Look inside that little bush and you will see chest pop up on your screen. Inside is a bunch of stuff. All you have to do to get more is go and talk to that Khajiit trader that goes there ever few days. After her inventory respawns you can go back to the chest and collect more. Cant believe you never heard of this one yet.

• 485 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:24 PM EDT

*Shrug* For that particular glitch, I've never found smithing or enchanting difficult to level. So I've never had a need to look for it. Smithing's leveling speed can be improved by as much as 60%, and you gain 1 enchantment level per enchantment until about lvl 50 or so in enchanting. 

• 118 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:25 PM EDT

I make my own mods so I pretty much patch every glitch I come across since I feel they have no place in the game.  I honestly can't imagine playing Vanilla Skyrim, game has more holes than my underwear.