Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is background truly necessary?

• 55 posts
    August 15, 2013 8:53 PM EDT
    In my latest build I've came across the problem of never actually creating a backstory or roleplay perspective, but it did not matter to me just because the actual gameplay was so entertaining. So I wanted to ask you all, do you for a build to be good does it need a backstory? I know a lot of the older builds in the Legendary and Mythic categories do not have this, but yet are rated so high. On the other hand many of the builds are drenched in lore or created stories and have loads of roleplaying possibilities. What is your opinion on the matter? Do think backstories can make or break a build? Or does it not matter to you?
    • 1483 posts
    August 15, 2013 9:03 PM EDT
    Depends on the backstory. Some builds have amazing gameplay and no backstory, some have a great backstory but generic gameplay. For me gameplay is what matters more, after all I can create backstory myself. But backstory in a build shows author's connection to the character, that he actually put thought in him/her. Good backstory can even make a generic build very fun to play. Both roleplay and gameplay are aspects of the character, some people like deep RP, some people - innovative gameplay. I suggest to have both and let people pick what appeals to them more.
    • 55 posts
    August 16, 2013 1:40 AM EDT

Thank you Vazgen, I will see if I can come up with something 

• 48 posts
    August 16, 2013 2:06 AM EDT

One other thing I've noticed is that most of the older builds that achieved Legendary / Mythic status based on gameplay alone had discovered new quirks in the game, or new combinations of abilities and fully exploited them.

Now that the game has been out for so long, and most of the unique twists on the gameplay have already been discovered, it's getting more difficult to create a build that really stands on its own based on unique gameplay alone.  So the roleplay aspect, equipment combinations, etc., really go a long way towards differentiating what is essentially the same build as others that are already out there.

A recent example of this is Henson's Ceya-Tar.  If you look at only the gameplay, it's really just a standard sneak archer using illusion spells with a bound bow instead of a smithed one.  Yet the build was very well received because of the strong lore and roleplay elements that help differentiate it from being just another sneak archer.  It "feels" fresh as a result, even though it's not really all that different.

• 55 posts
    August 16, 2013 2:17 AM EDT

I was thinking about that as well. How a lot of the builds without a backstory have a very unique gameplay and since most of those tricks have been discoverd it's easier to build more for roleplay now. I should probably start working on a backstory now lol