Forums » Elder Scrolls

Hearthfire... is it worth it?

• 25 posts
    July 24, 2013 2:56 AM EDT

As you may know I am one of the few people on the blog who have not downloaded Hearthfire.

Its not that I don't have the funds it's that I don't want to waste my money on something as trivial as adoption and building a house.

BUT I do think it has it's merits, mainly alchemy and shrines

My main question is should I spend 400 Microsoft points (about 5 bucks in Australia) for easier alchemy and access to shrines?

**Forum mod Josh edit: I think you're referring to hearthfire in the title, not dawnguard so I changed the name. 

• 271 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:15 AM EDT
    Title?

I'm one of very few that totally loved the Hearthfire dlc. And building houses is a real pleasure! For 5 bucks - Hell yess!
    • 158 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:19 AM EDT

I agree, it adds another level of depth to RP; being able to build a home that fits around your character specifically. Gameplay wise it acts as probably the largest and most organised set of places to store items.

• 209 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:20 AM EDT

I think it is, you get a high quality home for that and the feeling of accomplishment as you improve it :)

• 25 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:21 AM EDT

What's wrong with the title?

EDIT: nevermind just saw the edit (feel stupid now)

• July 24, 2013 3:32 AM EDT

Yes.  You get to build your own home (which is a bit of a grind, however that makes finishing it so much sweeter), and adopt children.  I believe it also lets you craft arrows.  If somebody could either confirm or deny this, that would be great.

I own Vlindrel Hall, Breezehome, Proudspire Manor, and Hjerim.  I also built Lakeview Manor, which is the one in Falkreath Hold.  I basically ONLY use Lakeview Manor, because there's that feeling of accomplishment, because I built it.  I went out and got all the animal hides for decorations, and the goat horns for lights, and went out and bought all the wood.  Not to mention my wife and kids live there :p

So to answer your question: yes, it's worth it.  It is the only way to (if you're into smithing) have a full forge in your own home, complete with smelter.  Plus, the houses look SO COOL when they're done.

• 158 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:35 AM EDT

Arrow crafting was first introduced in DG but I believe it's also apart of the other DLCs too

• 116 posts
    July 24, 2013 9:20 AM EDT
    I was like you and waited to get Hearthfire.I aactually just got it earlier this week. I was skeptical and figured it'd be a waste of 5 bucks but was pleasently pleased. I now only use Lakeview manor as it was a great feeling to build. However my character spent about 30k septum building and furnishing the place.
    • 19 posts
    July 24, 2013 2:49 PM EDT

If you use this DLC correctly, you're in for a massive treat.

There are various money-making methods (some of which involve cheating in order to get mannequins to get you extra sets of armor). The alchemy ingredients introduced in this update are critical for fast alchemy training, and the inclusion of gardens and greenhouses in player-built homes allows you to essentially duplicate certain alchemy ingredients without bound. You can adopt children, and provided you can do it right you can actually make a few septims off the stuff they give you and the stuff they hoard in the chests next to their beds.

Finally, the storage applications of player-built homes are astounding, the convenience items (like forges) are critical for powerleveling, and there are a few secrets in the DLC as well...

• 116 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:31 PM EDT
    Duplicate armor? How is this. I've wanted to match my mix of Nightingale and Guild Master armor for my follower
    • 19 posts
    July 24, 2013 6:32 PM EDT

Look up the Skyrim Mannequin Duplication glitch on Google.

A word of warning: Enchantments are usually not duplicated.

• 116 posts
    July 24, 2013 6:50 PM EDT
    Thank you
    • 106 posts
    July 24, 2013 9:46 PM EDT

Its only 5 bucks, ya get it. Plus you get 3 new house carls!