Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lazy Bethesda workers

• July 15, 2013 5:05 PM EDT

You would think that Bethesda and her baby companies, with all their moneys, could make a finished game and story...

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:10 PM EDT

I'm being so pessimistic? I'm giving my opinion on a game. Its decent to me. I named myself after sigdis gauldurson because he's cool, nothing to do with the game itself *facepalm*. I complain because I can, I could ask you why are you commenting and that would probably be your same answer. And with all the staff bethesda has, how hard is it to fix a bug? Seriously man, your arguement is invalid.

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:11 PM EDT

And? They weren't exactly good, I don't care about the number, i care about the quality.

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:13 PM EDT

Exactly.

• 118 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:41 PM EDT

'Moders' are taking a completed framework and making a mod (using creation kit for example).  While many of them are of great quality, for the most part moders can spend their entire/majority of time (with no deadlines btw) working on design whereas for the most part Bethesda was creating these so called 'Lazy' dungeons while at the same time building the entire game.  Even if there was a team dedicated solely to quest/dungeon design, the reality is their resources were extremely limited (time, manpower, etc) with pressing deadlines to meet whereas the modding community is composed of thousands of independant creative people/teams that have all of the tools created ahead of time for them to use and they have, for all intents and purposes, virtually unlimited time to spend creating and perfecting their mod.

You're trying to compare the 'ground-up' work of a few dozen people with limited time restraints against a legion of moders with virtually unlimited time and creative freedom; and let's not even start with the legal limitations and copywrite issues that a real company must clear.

Perhaps calling Bethesda 'Lazy' is slightly unwarranted?

P.S.

We're talking about a game that is almost 2 years old and is still played by hundreds of thousands of people (with no end in sight) and referring to the design as lazy?  I'm just so completely gobsmacked by this thread.

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:50 PM EDT

Still played by thousands is an exaggeration, hundreds, yes. Also I would gladly wait more months for skyrim to release if that meant it being better, who's fault is it that they bit off more than they could chew? some modders don't use the games frameworks, there are plenty of armor sets and clothing which look incredibly unique, and sometimes, modders do put deadlines on themselves. Don't tell me you never saw a mod that looked like no other armor set, or a dungeon that was not unique.

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:53 PM EDT

Bethesda workers weren't exactly lazy, but it seems like on a lot of ideas, they stopped caring about them but still through em in there.

• July 15, 2013 9:54 PM EDT
    No, thousands is sounding fairly accurate: http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/810925579997144005/

PS: This is only people on PC, and it was less than two months ago.
    • 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:56 PM EDT

its only 75 people who commented on that thread, not even 75, some were the same people commenting.

• July 15, 2013 9:58 PM EDT
    "I have a couple hundred hours played but i've noticed that 30k+ users play this game every day..."
    • 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 9:59 PM EDT

Even if there are thousands on that website, alot are bound to be inactive, or just on that site for the people and friends they've made.

• 74 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

Just checked the steamworks for the amount of people CURRENTLY playing skyrim. 

23,714 In-Game. 

• 4 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

On lunch break, so sorry for not reading all comments, but I've had this conversation with friends before, and if you think all Skyrim dungeons look the same, don't even go near Oblivion...

I like the differences, and the modders have added just about everything under the sun to it - I think allowing mods trumps infinite detail.

• 147 posts
    July 15, 2013 10:02 PM EDT

Modders have done a beautiful job, I just think this thread is directed towards console gamers more.

• 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 3:21 PM EDT

But squid, how many are really playing VANILLA skyrim?

• 33 posts
    July 16, 2013 3:55 PM EDT

What do you mean by fur armor being "uncreative"? For God's sake it's made of fur, what the hell did you expect?

• 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:09 PM EDT

Thats not really an excuse for it to be so dull, does all fur look the same Morta? tell me that.

• 133 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:21 PM EDT

Sigdis your argument seems like a complaint that console players can't get mods, in disguise 

• 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:25 PM EDT

Course' not Beasty,  mean skyrim is an ok game to me, I like it, but it needs more, a lot more. You are kinda right though, because I feel like they just threw us console gamers under the bus and left us for dead, while pc gamers won't really ever run out of entertainment.

• 1483 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

I'm not sure of what you complain? The armor sets are pretty detailed, dungeons don't look the same for me and the bugs just unavoidable with such an enormous scale of the game

• 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:35 PM EDT

Also dungeons with a quest sometimes aren't repetitive, but almost every dungeon the enemies are draugr, and spiders, maybe some type of animal. You're calling daedric armor and dark brotherhood armor detailed? Also you're right o that last one, but even so you can fix some, why focus on incredibly small bugs no one cares about, when you can fix the big ones? And they are not even keeping their promise when they said their will be patches.

• 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:41 PM EDT

Also whats so unique about Deathbrand armor, its just stalhrim armor with some enchantments, same with ancient shrouded armor, and those friggin tumberlane gloves. 

• 89 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:43 PM EDT
    There is always room for improvement and people will always ask for more, but I'm pretty satisfied with this game.
    • 147 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:50 PM EDT

Are you calling me a dumbass?

• 1483 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:51 PM EDT

You forget that the game was released in 2011. The technology evolves very fast, if the game was made this year you would've seen far more detailed game. On types of enemies, what did you expect? It actually makes sense, the barrows are sealed tombs for nord dead and it makes perfect sense that the enemies you'll encounter there will be draugr. If you compare Skyrim with Fallout New Vegas you'll see that enemies here are far more diverse. Dark Brotherhood armor is actually quite similar to the one in Oblivion in terms of detail. Daedric armor is also quite detailed, it's just low res textures that make it look bad. It's pretty close to concept art as well. Check this link out. And we don't know how hard it is to fix certain bugs. It's quite possible that the "big" bugs will require a total rework of their scripting. Things like Deathbrand armor are a result of deadline pushing of a huge amount of very vocal fans who want a new "game of the year" to be delivered to them every year.