Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lazy Bethesda workers

• 147 posts
    July 14, 2013 6:48 PM EDT

So, am i the only one that thinks bethesda got lazy in some parts of skyrim, like dungeons that look almost the same, or terrible armor sets. Like, they could have been alot more detailed and creative, instead of making an incredibly long game, why not do this? Share your opinions here.

• 1913 posts
    July 14, 2013 6:51 PM EDT
    you all complain too much (when im the one who says you need to stop complaining, that's sad)
    • 147 posts
    July 14, 2013 6:54 PM EDT

I'm just saying, you see the work modders do, why can't the staff of bethesda be so detailed?

• 10 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:04 PM EDT

Because modders take years or very long periods of time to for mods and do it for fun and leisure, Bethesda has to completely create a new world, character, and every little bit of content in the game within a time frame. Modders piggy back off of the stuff in game. In my opinion almost every dungeon is unique and creative and the armor is fine, you just expect way way too much. The developers and creators need to eat too. When you have an allotted time to create something or else you get nothing, your first worry isn't impressing the players. If it is such a huge problem, which it isn't, download mods, or make your own since you think it is so easy, sorry for being really rude, but you just wouldn't have survived the 90's

• 1913 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:05 PM EDT
    because they dont have to or dont want to spend more money than needed? mod creators are people that aren't happy with the game because it isn't perfect (and nothing is ever perfect)... usually, otherwise it is creepy horny people with skimpy armors
    • 1913 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:06 PM EDT
    edited
    • 147 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:07 PM EDT

I expect way to much, you're calling daedric armor creative, you're calling fur armor creative? People can pull better things out of their ass. It was just lazyness. Maybe if they weren't focusing on making an incredibly long game, and focus more on creativity and details, people wouldn't complain.

• July 14, 2013 7:11 PM EDT

They should take more pride in their work

• 10 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:12 PM EDT

Looks fine to me. Don't play the game then if graphics bother you that much. Its easy to judge a game, but it isn't easy to make one, fur armor isn't suppose to look cool, what is the point of having the coolest looking armor in the game as one of the first sets you can find off of a bandit, I am sorry if you think Daedric or Ebony looks bad, then jsut play a game that has better graphics, the game isn't about its graphics. You have yet to address what I said previously and only addressed what you thought you could prove me wrong on. Graphics are a preference, you don't speak for everyone, so please don't act like it. Modders fix what is bad about the game, the developers don't have time to make everything perfect for every person in the world, you think it looks bad, but what if more people thought it looked good? SO they would have to change the game for you and no one else, this is what mods are for, please attempt designing a game in an allotted time before critiquing one. There are plenty of other games with better graphics, go play those, it is not that hard to not play a game.

• 291 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:13 PM EDT

I mod because I want to make other stuff for the game.  Not because I want to make the game perfect.  Most mods start out with, "Ooh, what if..." and proceed from there.

Bryn, I understand your view on modding, but please do not presume to know why modders create things if you refuse to even consider the viewpoint of using them.  Or even relate to them.  (After all, you write stories in the Skyrim universe.  That is related to modding.)

• 147 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:14 PM EDT

I never said graphics, why are you putting words in my mouth? I'm talking about the terrible simplicity of the armor, of repetitive quest, like clearing out bandit forts then getting paid 100 gold.

• 291 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:16 PM EDT

I'm not sure I agree with this notion.  What the armor sets look like is merely subjective opinion.  And whether or not the dungeons look the same is also subjective.  I have yet to come across a dungeon that feels exactly the same as any other.  It's miles better than Oblivion, I can tell you that!

However, there are some things they could have done better, and I can agree with that.  I would not call it laziness, though.  It's a result of operating within a constrained budget and deadline.  Sometimes, things you'd like to expand upon must be cut for the game to ever be published.

• 10 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:25 PM EDT

those are bounties, pay attention to the books, read what people say, those bounty missions are suppose to be if you are short on cash or need a quick mission to complete. Just don't play the game if it is that bad, its as simple as that.

• 147 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:27 PM EDT

I never said it was just about that either now did I? It's the fact that bethesda could've done better with the armor sets instead of acting like a 6 year old saying, "Oh, daedric armor looks so cool like this!"

• 10 posts
    July 14, 2013 7:36 PM EDT

that's your opinion, not everyone's

• July 14, 2013 7:38 PM EDT

It's just annoying that all puzzles look alike (claw doors, image stones...) traps aren't dangerous, dragon fights do get very repetitive and there's only 5 types of weapons (swords, axes, maces, bows and crossbows)

After 700 hours of playing, a dragon finally swooped down, and grabbed me as a kill move. It was the only "different" thing that happened in ages and I'm not sure it's actually coded into the game, probably it's from the Deadly Dragons mod.

Sure they couldn't have coded everything with the time they were given but come on, some more variety in weapons musn't be impossibly difficult to get... they even cut down the variety of skills and spells.

• 69 posts
    July 14, 2013 8:18 PM EDT

The reason that you and many others (including me) feel this way is because they went for the 11/11/11 release date. That ended up in some aspects of the game being half-assed.

• 80 posts
    July 14, 2013 8:22 PM EDT

With the multitude of bugs that have yet to be fixed, I think it's safe to say that they got a little lazy.

I don't think asking for some bug fixes to be all that demanding, especially since most of them can be fixed with the unofficial Skyrim patches.

• 69 posts
    July 14, 2013 8:22 PM EDT

I wish traps would be awesome. Like setting of a trip wire opens a hole in the floor and some draugr d-lords come out of coffins and wreck your stuff. They're too weak and easy to avoid.

• 69 posts
    July 14, 2013 8:23 PM EDT

Thank Talos we have mods.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    July 14, 2013 9:11 PM EDT

Yeah, we deserve better. Those lazy game makers should have been more sympathetic to us poor gamers.

/passive aggressive sarcasm

In all seriousness, no other game has given me this much value for what I paid for other than TES and Fallout games. Of course there are some glitches and some reused 3D model assets, the game is massive. I'd challenge anyone anywhere to do a better job without huge delays. Sorry to be a dick, but this sense of selfish entitlement legitimately pisses me off. I know I'm being harsh, but so is your criticism of Bethesda's talented staff.

Whether something looks good or not is subjective, and to call Skyrim uncreative is a really unfair assessment, there's more creativity in this game than most games I play. By creativity I mean, coming up with new unique ideas. The fact that all of the loot isn't randomly generated and there are unique items and varied writing for the dungeons puts Skyrim head and shoulders above many other games that are similar in scope and genre.

• 1913 posts
    July 14, 2013 9:14 PM EDT
    how? i'm not playing it, i cannot download it on my pc to play, others can't download it on their pc's to play, it isn't in the game...

the only thing that ties it together is creating a story in an established world, but by that logic, creating a comic about batman is related to modding (someone creates a story in an established world)
    • 1913 posts
    July 14, 2013 9:21 PM EDT
    (PS: I mean no disrespect to you Kyrie, I wanted to say that was only a percentage of modders, I didn't want to throw you all under the bus)
  • July 14, 2013 9:37 PM EDT

Revelation-Zapping Tracking System?

• 116 posts
    July 14, 2013 11:59 PM EDT

And I happen to think that most of the armor sets that modders make are ugly and way way over-the-top in terms of details and doo-dads.

In fact, the most popular armor pack (Immersive Armors, I think it's called) is a set that I would probably only be able to use one or two pieces from as I find most of the pieces ugly.

So, for each person like you who think Bethesda didn't do well and likes modded work better, I am sure there is at least one of me who thinks the opposite.

And what's wrong with Daedric Armor?