Forums » Elder Scrolls

The wild hunt

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 12:55 AM EDT

i'm talking about the wood elf's wild hunt, the one where they turn into ferocious monsters and devour everything in their path, including themselves eventually. The point of this post is, how are the wood elves not extinct yet when they do this? And how many people are usually included in this hunt or turned into this ferocious beast?

• 291 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:10 AM EDT

Because they don't turn into the Wild Hunt unless Valenwood is under severe threat.  In the entire history of Tamriel, there have only been three instances of the Wild Hunt that were recorded, one of which was stopped by blocking off the canyon in which the Hunt had been initiated.

From what we know from A Dance in Fire, a group of Bosmer when into a sacred temple, where they initiated the hunt.  I don't recall how many were in there, if any number was listed, but it likely included the majority of the village's people.

Anyway, I think of all the things Bosmer experience, this is the most serious of all (this coming from a people who are rarely ever serious).  They never do this lightly as they know their bodies will be destroyed in the process, and they believe that every Wild Hunt unleashes new, horrific monstrosities into the world (there's the implication that no Wild Hunt is ever truly destroyed).

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:13 AM EDT

But i mean why commence the wild hunt if your going to die? Isn't it a form of defense.

• 291 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:20 AM EDT

That is called sacrifice.  A few Bosmer may die, but countless numbers of their foes might be utterly consumed in the act.  As selfish as the Bosmer can sometimes be, every once in a while, they do something for what they consider is the Greater Good.

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:22 AM EDT

A few bosmer may die? When all their enemies are consumed they turn on themsleves.

• 291 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:24 AM EDT

Yes.  As I said, a few Bosmer may die: as in bystanders but more than anything else, those participating in the Hunt.

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:26 AM EDT

Then thats the question, how many participate in the hunt, that'll most likely decide the casualties. If you have 1000 people participating in the hunt, then a 1205 might die.

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:29 AM EDT

I love the idea of the wild hunt, also how sad it is, but somehow, committing mass genocide to save your people doesn't make much sense to me.

• 291 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:33 AM EDT

Then you have your answer, though I highly doubt sacrificing 1000 Bosmer to the Hunt is necessary.  In fact, that risks causing an uncontrollable wave of monsters on a catastrophic scale.  I highly doubt such a thing has ever happened, but then, the numbers for how many monsters were in a Wild Hunt are not generally recorded.

In A Dance in Fire, we know that there were "a hundred voices" inside the temple for that particular village.  So, we know that at least a hundred beasts flooded that canyon, but it was probably less if we also consider that there is some exaggeration going on on part of Scotti's less than accurate storytelling.

Edit: Is is mass genocide if those you are killing have invaded your land and are on your land?  I don't think so.  It's not like they went over into Elsweyr and destroyed all the Khajiit.  They destroyed all the Khajiit in that village, and probably wanted to wipe out the opposing forces along the border.

It's not much different from carpet bombing an area.

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:37 AM EDT

But with your theory of 1000 wild monsters roaming, they all consume each other at the end, so I only think one will be roaming at the end, sort of a "hunger" games thing *ba dum tssss*

• 291 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:39 AM EDT

They consume each other if they have nothing else to consume.  If you did not trap them, then they'd roam unimpeded and continue to consume things other than themselves.  I imagine they'd eventually disperse.

• 147 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:44 AM EDT

Thats what I mean, if they already defeated/consumed their enemies wouldn't the first thing they see to eat is them? Also if they did disperse wouldn't they end up killing the valenwood population, seeing as these unstoppable creatures who eat anything in their path can't easily be stopped, or even be stopped.

• 1913 posts
    June 29, 2013 2:13 AM EDT
    i believe they would stick close to the village or territory...
    • 147 posts
    June 30, 2013 9:07 PM EDT

*facepalm* Of course they would bryn, but then they would devour the surrounding inhabitants.

• July 3, 2013 7:54 PM EDT
    1) They only need few Bosmer to take on a whole army(the things are unstoppable) and will do in a controlled, yet secure(in a way) area. If the threat is imminent they would unleash the "beasts" but always with a backup plan, a way to control the menace.

If I read correctly, the would lure them into a closed location to trap the last one(the one that ate the rest) the things would devour themselves (self eating) if nothing came close and became neutralized(again, in a way).

2) They would rather send 100 Bosmer on a Wild Hunt than rather see 1000 die by enemy forces. Even if some Bosmer end dead, the Wild Hunt would rather be used if the enemies outman or are much stronger(and/or smarter) than Valenwood forces or present a huge threat to them. And since its part of their tradition it's likely that they have the means to control it
    • 490 posts
    July 3, 2013 9:10 PM EDT

Bath salts?

• July 3, 2013 10:13 PM EDT
    Hmm, I can only find three historic cases. Link: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wild_Hunt
    • 147 posts
    July 4, 2013 1:16 AM EDT

*thumbs up* Yes!