Forums » Elder Scrolls

How do you think Vulthuryol ended up in Blackreach?

• 147 posts
    June 15, 2013 4:11 PM EDT

So, I was doing a quest in the main questline, and it took me to blackreach, which is a really cool dwarven ruin. I look off into the distance to see some sort of dwarven fort, with falmer patrolling around it. The fort had this huge orb floating in the middle too. I shouted at the falmer from a distance, it knocked them down and hit the orb in the process. I then make my way to the fort and I see a ancient dragon named Vulthuryol fly out of nowhere near the fort. Instead of flying, he crawled the whole time in the battle. I simply used my companions as meatshields and stun locked him with fireballs to defeat him. My question is, how did he end up here? In a dwarven ruin.

• June 15, 2013 5:07 PM EDT

I think that he had to hide during the Akaviri crusade to Tamriel which started in Skyrim. And the reason he is crawling is because he has been sleeping and not flying in Blackreach (the low ceiling) so when you awaken him (by shouting at the orb which makes a big clinging noice. Thats what i think.

• 147 posts
    June 15, 2013 5:12 PM EDT

My guess was that somehow the dwemer managed to capture and tame him, because unless their was a huge hole in the ground, how would he get down there? It seems to me that only the swemer have the technology to do that. 

• 409 posts
    June 15, 2013 7:12 PM EDT
    It is said when Alduin was defeated some dragons hid in very secluded places to escape death. I dont think its wierd that there would be a dragon living underground to escape ancient nord and akivir dragon hunters.
    • 147 posts
    June 19, 2013 12:06 AM EDT

Yeah, but just how did he get down there 

• 147 posts
    June 19, 2013 12:07 AM EDT

There is not exactly one-way tunnels to Blackreach made for dragons 

• June 19, 2013 12:10 AM EDT

I think he crawled down an elevator shaft. It was cool seeing him in Blackreach though. 

• 80 posts
    June 19, 2013 12:26 AM EDT

I can only think of 2 ways that he would be down there.

He could have been captured by the Dwemer, they had the technology after all, not to mention access to the heart of a god.

The entrance that he used to get in could have been blocked off, trapping him inside.

I'm voting for the Dwemer one as it seems more likely.

• 147 posts
    June 19, 2013 12:40 AM EDT

That'd make the most sense, seeing as dragons like mountains, I don't think one would go underground willingly, but at the same time this is just like those 2 underwater dragons in the Vale.

• 7 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:51 AM EDT

i believe that he was banished to be there. or ''totally not a bot'' is right!

• 147 posts
    June 19, 2013 3:08 PM EDT

He had to be captured by the dwemer, they are the only ones with the technology to capture a dragon. He couldn't have just go there to hide because he can't fit in a elevator shaft or go through a door.