Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is the most under-rated play-style in your opinion?

• 88 posts
    May 10, 2013 2:42 PM EDT

I might play a character like that....

• 1483 posts
    May 10, 2013 4:19 PM EDT

Renjiira Krin Stafflord by TZ (If I spell that correctly )

• 365 posts
    May 10, 2013 5:22 PM EDT

"It makes almost any encounter a unique puzzle to be solved."

Love this, very true aswell. That is exactly why I love playing sneaky characters....Love analysing terrain, movement, potential battle spells, fort/castle/dungeon layout and sneaking route before I even start to move through the dungeon.

• 291 posts
    May 10, 2013 5:43 PM EDT

Roflmao.  I guess she died from bloodloss due to crushed toes!

• 1483 posts
    May 10, 2013 5:45 PM EDT

LOL  Pretty much that  I wonder who put a cart in that shack in the first place 

• 189 posts
    May 10, 2013 7:21 PM EDT

May I recommend the Loup-Garou?

The first build I submitted to the blog.  It's exactly the style I described, with a few other little additions that add some color/longevity.  I'm pretty sure it was also the first optimized post-Dawnguard werewolf build on the site.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    May 10, 2013 8:57 PM EDT

One of my favorite builds that seems somewhat uncommon is a pure thief. The concept is to not perk any combat or magic skills at all. To deal extra damage, rely on sneak attacks and poisons. Raising pickpocket to 100 and stealing important gear off of enemies and then placing a powerful poison in the inventory is priceless. A heavy focus on getting useful items and relying on them for backup, like staves and scrolls, because acquisition of objects should be a thief's primary pastime. Only problem with this style is that dragons ruin your life a lot of the time, and I ended up fleeing quite a bit.

• 106 posts
    May 11, 2013 2:33 AM EDT

I played a pure thief recently, very fun and very rewarding

• 485 posts
    May 27, 2013 1:36 PM EDT

*edit* didnt mean to post reply here.

• 485 posts
    May 27, 2013 1:38 PM EDT

I agree that pure stealth archer builds are under-rated. Most traditional stealth archer builds are pretty frail so they get roflstomped in one swing of a bandit's ax if he spots them, so there is definitely more risk involved than most believe. Some players make it look easy, but there is risk with this build. 

This build turn pretty much every enemy filled map into a puzzle. So things like enemy positions, lights, shadows, vantage points and enemy avenues of approach become very important things to consider. And let's not forget accuracy. Each miss is a costly mistake that makes advancing enemies all the more aware of your location.

• 1 posts
    May 27, 2013 3:16 PM EDT

I guess this goes along with what the guy said about the pure thief build, but pure builds in general. I see so many builds in the Character Build section where the build has a bunch of elements thrown into the play style just to give the character extra advantages. I just feel like real characters should have weaknesses. Seriously, so many builds have Archery tacked on just to give the build a long range option. You'll have pure warrior characters who are somehow masters with a crossbow, which doesnt make sense. I feel like when you limit a character, it makes gameplay more challenging and fun.

• 485 posts
    May 27, 2013 3:23 PM EDT

I don't mind a warrior who occasionally wields a bow. It makes at least some sense given that dragons seldom ever stay grounded for more than a few seconds. At the very least the bow or crossbow provides a good way to get the thing's attention.

• 80 posts
    May 27, 2013 3:38 PM EDT

I don't think this game wasn't meant for pure builds.

I can make a pure mage, using only mage armor for defense, but then someone else makes a hybrid battlemage and they're doing everything I do but better because they have the option to wear armor and some of the mage tiered items in the game are armor. Sure I can choose to wear armor also but then it doesn't look feel like I'm a pure mage anymore cause now mage armor loses any effectiveness and becomes useless.

It just doesn't seem all that fair that they've kind of gimped pure builds in this game.

• 485 posts
    May 27, 2013 5:33 PM EDT

Even with pure builds theres a crazy amount of variations one can make. The game practically begs players to be bold and experiment. 

• 253 posts
    May 27, 2013 7:58 PM EDT

I agree with that concerning low levels. When your sneak i not godly high, the game is a lot more challenging. I remember spending 3 minutes slowly creeping around and up the side of the bleak falls barrow cavern to be able to backstab the deathlord. When it is easy to be detected, and when the enemy can onng. e shot you, sneaking suddenly becomes very exciting. 

When sneak is high level I agree with Armythx, it is bori