Forums » General Gaming

Best RPG game other than Elder Scrolls?

• 365 posts
    April 13, 2013 6:13 PM EDT

Wanted to look into other Sword and Magic type games, but a few contenders are:

Dark Souls,

Dragon Age,

Baldur's Gate,

Neverwinter,

Fable,

ETC. Would like to know some other people's. Post a gameplay/trailer link if you can just to show other people what it's like.

Olaf.

• 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 6:15 PM EDT
    Origins all the way
    • 1483 posts
    April 13, 2013 6:16 PM EDT

Sword and Magic? Dragon Age Origins for me! 

• 20 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:19 PM EDT

Oh Dark Souls for sure. A lot of depth and variety and truly addictive/gratifying gameplay.

• 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:21 PM EDT
    For gameplay I say dark souls, story (which is the main point of an RPG)? I'd give to dragon age
    • 89 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:32 PM EDT
    I like demon souls.
  • April 13, 2013 10:33 PM EDT

Shadowrun, Final Fantasy series (early) , Shining Force series (nod to the Sega age), also, Earthbound. Gotta get my classics in there. Modern: Legend of Dragoon, ES series, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect series, Red Dead Redemption (it has a skill system, so it's an RPG, not to mention the protagonist is superb). Greatest of all time in my mind, though: the Suikoden series. Not only did these games throw you into a world basically unprepared, but the plot revealed reasons your character changed. That's important in story-telling.

• 41 posts
    April 14, 2013 6:59 PM EDT

I thought that the first and maybe the second Fable games were good. Especially with the small things like gaining weight from eating pies.

If you want another game (Not sword and magic) go with the Fallout series.... Fallout 3 is my personal favorite.

• 1483 posts
    April 14, 2013 7:04 PM EDT

I'm with you on Fallout 3! Liked it more than New Vegas

• 41 posts
    April 20, 2013 8:29 AM EDT

Hmm, interesting question    one of my all time favourite RPG games is definitely: Zelda and the Ocarina of time on Nintendo. Plus Chrono trigger was an excellent game too.  More recently I would say all 3 Fable games plus Dragon Age origins  

• 8 posts
    April 20, 2013 9:15 AM EDT

Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic? Probably not what you're looking for though.

• 57 posts
    April 20, 2013 10:41 AM EDT

Most of the Bioware games: Mass Effect series, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldurs Gate, etc

• April 20, 2013 10:55 AM EDT

I am a huge fan of Dishonored. Not as open world as Skyrim, but still an awesome storyline, and you can use sword, crossbow, pistol, and supernatural powers. 

Also I might add that you can play multiple ways. It's an assassin's game but you can go through the game without killing a single soul. It has a high/low chaos system that affects the ending of the game. The higher the chaos, the more gruesome/sad ending, the lower the chaos, the more respected you are and better results in general. 

• April 20, 2013 11:39 AM EDT

Dark Souls all the way. I love Dragon Age, but the challenge and diffuculty of Dark Souls is unmatched. I also like Fable, but in my opinion it is a bit childish.

• 18 posts
    April 20, 2013 12:38 PM EDT

The new DLC is so awesome! The knife of dunwall is a must play if you have this game.

• April 22, 2013 10:05 AM EDT

I have it since it was only $10 but haven't played it yet...glad to hear something positive, I had someone tell me they were disappointed because they thought it was too short.

• 162 posts
    April 23, 2013 5:04 AM EDT

My son has Dark Souls too. Though I love the setting I hate the game's unforgiveness compares to it's difficulty and steep learning curve . Have reached the dog boss and that forest with those living trees and stone knights. I stopped playing because I became a bad example for both my sons .

• 377 posts
    April 24, 2013 4:43 AM EDT

Fallout New Vegas

• 377 posts
    April 24, 2013 4:46 AM EDT

I don't know what you're talking about. link

• 25 posts
    April 24, 2013 5:20 AM EDT

im suprised that nobody has said the witcher 2

• 108 posts
    April 24, 2013 5:51 AM EDT

Planescape Torment for the options and playstyle

Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines for the unique setting

I really like Black Isle and Troika in general.

• June 4, 2013 3:07 AM EDT

Agreed. But Dark Souls is a close 2nd.

• 209 posts
    July 2, 2013 7:07 AM EDT

I would class mount and blade: warband as a brilliant RPG ! Very epic when in the midst of a battle involving 200 people.

• 127 posts
    July 2, 2013 7:38 AM EDT

Dark Messiah Of Might & Magic!

• 7 posts
    July 2, 2013 8:08 AM EDT
    Dragon age,dark souls and the witcher