Forums » General Gaming

Skyrim, Bethesda's best game yet?

• 7 posts
    April 12, 2013 5:46 PM EDT

I personally loved Skyrim and all of the great graphics and gameplay, but is it honestly the best thing Bethesda has released? I just thought I would make the post to see some of your opinions on Bethesda. Keep in mind that the Elder Scrolls aren't the only games by them. As a side topic what is the best game of all time? 

In my opinion Dishonored has been Bethesda's greatest release but Oblivion is a close second. As for my favorite game of all time... World of Warcraft. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is an online mmorpg and is really quite fun. If  you haven't tried it out they do have a free to play to level twenty if you happen to like it, however, its 15 dollars a month considering most of us here might have jobs, chores, or allowance, its moderately affordable. Like I said just curious as to see what my fellow gamers think.

• 1483 posts
    April 12, 2013 5:54 PM EDT

I loved Fallout 3. New Vegas was fine but I liked 3 more. Skyrim is great and this site is a compelling example why. As for Dishonored I liked playing it, I played right from the start on highest difficulty and finished the game without killing anyone. After that I couldn't see myself playing it again. When you know the story and know that you can do everything without resorting to violence (figuratively speaking since some non-lethal methods were worse than death) I can't make myself play it with killing people  The game feels finished

• 7 posts
    April 12, 2013 6:23 PM EDT
    I felt like that but for me I felt like you could really get a feel for the character. As for fallout I haven't played it yet. I have to try it out soon though.
    • 89 posts
    April 12, 2013 8:28 PM EDT
    I would say so, I liked fallout 3 too, just not as much as Skyrim. Oblivion was pretty badass though, a close 2nd...Patrick stewart's voice over is insane...close shut the door to Oblivion!
    • 7 posts
    April 12, 2013 8:44 PM EDT
    Yeah but I feel that skyrim was better in creating characters because you could run free and not have a limited skill set.
    • 89 posts
    April 12, 2013 8:58 PM EDT
    I think the character creation improved in many ways but that's not to say it didn't take a few steps back either, for the most part it got better. The story behind Oblivion was so much better though. Even with that said I'd say skyrim is still the better game.
    • 7 posts
    April 12, 2013 9:33 PM EDT
    Yeah but I just loved oblivion so much I don't know why though
    • 7 posts
    April 12, 2013 10:37 PM EDT
    Well if I get ESO I'll play with you if you want me to!
    • 111 posts
    April 13, 2013 4:44 AM EDT

Not a Fallout 3 fan I'm afraid, though I have played the early stages of it. Too much like playing in a junkyard and old bombed out sites- did enough of that in the fifties as a kid so don't really want to repeat the experience in a virtual world

I play games on a pc and like to optimise the experience by using a decent graphics card

Oblivion v Skyrim? Difficult choice but in the end as I am an RPG player I go for Oblivion for the greater immersion value, the core quest line, and the superb voice acting

Graphically Oblivion is stunning but Skyrim has an ethereal and rugged beauty which to my mind is pretty unbeatable

As regards the gaming experience in RPG I was a little disappointed in Skyrim. I thought Bethseda might have improved on Oblivion especially with regard to the "to do" or "not to do" options on the conversation trees. I didn't really want to join either The Imperials or Stormcloaks, be the head of the college, AND be a thief, AND be something else. The Greybeards were integral but I would like to have kicked some Blade butt.

The other thing worth mentioning is the variety and flexibility of available mods for download. There are excellent mods in both, but I think because of restrictions in Skyrim the scope for modders to really show their stuff is limited 

• 49 posts
    April 13, 2013 6:49 AM EDT

I really can't decide between Oblivion and Fallout: 3. Skyrim would come third though.

• April 13, 2013 6:59 AM EDT

Fallout: New Vegas, bang the bloke who tried to kill you then kill him, you can't beat it.

• 9 posts
    April 13, 2013 8:03 AM EDT

I personally loved the story and gameplay in dishonoured, but it was too short and I can't see myself playing it for a long time. I am one of the few people I know who actually prefers Fallout New Vegas to 3. Oblivion was amazing but the voice acting was annoying, some races looked weird and followers sucked. Skyrim is great and has much better DLCs than Oblivion, but at a high level (50+) its a bit too easy even on the highest difficulty. NV is probably my favourite Bethesda game due to the amazing follower backstories, more and better weapons, armour, and quests than fallout 3 and the enjoyable dlcs with interlinked stories.

• 10 posts
    April 13, 2013 8:03 AM EDT

I used to love world of warcraft, but then I took a-. No, il restrain myself. World Of Warcraft has become ridiculous in recent time. I dont understand the "Pandaria" thing. Pandas? Seriously? Wtf?

• 966 posts
    April 13, 2013 8:12 AM EDT

I loved Dishonored too but Bethesda didn't make it, Arkane studios did. 

Bethesda's greatest game in my opinion would be Morrowind.

• April 13, 2013 9:29 AM EDT
    I recently felt like, "lemme try Oblivion again to remember" although I could say every character dialoge by heart, but usually skipped =P and after character creation (finally making a decent character) I started playing and tried to sprint (dumba**). Ok, can't. Tried to swing both hands to puch, but blocked *facepalm* ok got the controls set.

Fought some cultists, but went into 3rd person, and it all began. Really sloppy walking animation. And remembered my bro saying the guys walked like girls.

Ended up saving and going back to Skyrim =P
    I remember that if you were good in Oblivion people noticed but if you were evil they did too. In Skyrim no one cares. IMO if both games got into one that would make an even better game, but I can't say about Morrowind, apart of lower grafics the choices (that I read off) were even better than in Skyrim or Oblivion (like ruin the Main quest!!!) seems an awesome idea!
    • 111 posts
    April 13, 2013 9:33 AM EDT

ps

Sorry never played Dishonoured so can't comment. Warcraft? I'm not really into Multiplayer co-ops (apart from Star wars Balance of Power etc) so after Warcraft Tides of Darkness which I loved, I didn't really get into WOW. From a personal preference I prefer single player campaigns/games. It keep the software costs down to a one off charge. Don't like the idea or have the budget to shell out £120 GBP (US $160?)a year on a game plus any additional dial up/broadband costs

• April 13, 2013 9:41 AM EDT
    The reason I left WoW...
    • 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:53 AM EDT
    Really? I have only put in $25 for the manual... Everything else was a gift (including the game itself)... Poor Ben :(
  • April 13, 2013 10:56 AM EDT
    I only spent $25 bucks on batteries since I bought rechargeable. Got 2 sets, one charges while I use the other =P

Besides I put more time to Skyrim than to WoW and don't have to deal with needing people in order to play everything =P
    • 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 10:57 AM EDT
    Me too, but I just use some batteries that a friend gave me... He bought a ps3 since his Xbox broke and gave me the batteries for my controller
  • April 13, 2013 11:03 AM EDT
    Lucky, I have like 4-6 GameStop in a 2 hour drive ratio and they run out of stuff in the time I get there =(
    • 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:05 AM EDT
    I live within walking distance to a GameStop that almost never runs out of games... Unless you count COD as a game...
  • April 13, 2013 11:07 AM EDT
    It's probably that hard to get there =P
    • 1913 posts
    April 13, 2013 11:38 AM EDT
    For a wireless controller yes, a wired one I believe costs more though...
    • 106 posts
    April 13, 2013 12:41 PM EDT

I absolutely love the fallout series, but when it comes to skyrim, its my all time favorite. I have to have over 1000 hours in this game. Call me a no life hahaha but I love this game so much