Forums » Elder Scrolls

what are your views on legendary difficulty?

• 106 posts
    April 8, 2013 5:45 PM EDT

So because I'm a console player, I was able to try 1.9 today, and I honestly like legendary, but they should have made it different, like more aggressive AI and more mobs. But my build I'm doing now is legendary difficult with NO HUD, its too awesome, it makes insignificant fights way more enjoyable and "epic"

• April 8, 2013 5:49 PM EDT

It sounds way too artificial for my tastes. I obviously want a challenging playthrough, but I don't want to spend 20 minutes hacking at a bandit chief.

And I'm pretty sure the enemy kill-cams will be even worse on Legendary, and those are a serious pain in the fucking ass on Master.

• 1483 posts
    April 8, 2013 6:01 PM EDT

I can see how it'll be enjoyable for warrior class players but for stealthy players it's ridiculous. Hagravens (and any other self healing enemies) are simply not killable if you rely only on sneak attacks with your bow. 

• 708 posts
    April 8, 2013 6:07 PM EDT

50% more of a pain in the ass, in fact. On master you take double damage from enemies, it's triple on legendary.

I'll repost what I said in the status:

I'm not sure why people are so confused about how legendary works.

1. You get a skill to 100
    2. You press the legendary button
    3. Skill resets to 15
    4. Refunds all the perks from that skill to save or spend elsewhere

For example, I had 5 ranks in Juggernaut and Legendaried my Heavy Armor, Heavy Armor would reset to 15, I'd have no ranks in Juggernaut and 5 more perk points.

I just did a bit of reading, apparently Legendary makes the player do 25% damage while taking 3x damage. I think it's designed for high level characters with good gear (you do half the damage you do on Master and enemies hit you 50% harder), but I could see it working on someone based around followers/summons.

Who's telling you that you have to use the new Legendary skill system or play on the Legendary difficulty?

• April 8, 2013 6:08 PM EDT

Agreed on your status message. I'll take it for the bug fixes, but I'll stick to Master and not Legendary-ing skills.

• 2 posts
    April 8, 2013 6:12 PM EDT

so if you reset a skill after it hits 100 you are refunded ALL the perks you bought previously?  So that motivates me how?  The whole point of getting to 100 is to get some of more awesome perks in the game like double enchants, double poisons (not a 100, but it is higher up), shield charge, etc. 

Why would I drop those?  Just to go up in levels?  Meh. You can respend them I assume on the same skill, but how many times are you going to actually put them in different spots?

I don't see the motivation really. 

Or am I totally confused on how this works?

• 365 posts
    April 8, 2013 6:14 PM EDT

I forgot about tha Ben! yeah....It gives a reason to non-combat builds/CB's to keep playing!

• 856 posts
    April 8, 2013 6:20 PM EDT

Legendary difficulty:  I tried it. It was very difficult at low levels, especially for ironman play.  Once I got to around 10th level, I began to get a 'feel' for it.   As I approached the mid-levels, I saw little difference between Master and Legendary; I just had to gain a few levels before I could defeat certain enemies.  Later, the battles are simply prolonged.

Legendary skills:  Different thing.  I haven't used it, it has little logic with role-play.  "I used to be a master ______ but now I'm a novice again... maybe I bumped my head and have selective amnesia" - I guess I'll have chronic selective amnesia if I was to continue along that route.  I guess someone can find some uses for it, eg a warrior that changes fighting style, armor type, etc.

• 89 posts
    April 8, 2013 7:43 PM EDT
    I don't know about legendary...I'm the kind of guy that likes to play on the hardest difficulty but this just seems time consuming. I started a new build to try it out and my first fight with the heavy armored imperial chick took forever, I freakin leveled 1h 4 points just on her!
    • 661 posts
    April 8, 2013 7:53 PM EDT

I see Legendary Skills as a new way to keep all your RP in check. You know instead of working on all your thief skill while you are supposed to be a Warrior at heart seems stale. So I get what they are doing. Its all for the Role-play if you ask me.

• April 8, 2013 7:58 PM EDT
    So your warrior is an amnesiac? :P
    • 168 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:01 PM EDT

Can we Legendary a skill multiple times? Or does it work only once?

I'm gonna have my main guy Legendary all his skills perked then see if I can survive back on Adept. The game was getting too easy for him.

• 153 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:09 PM EDT

It would've been useful if when u "legendary" reseting would make the next levelling 10% better.
    For example: Heavy armour - 10% better armour rating, Destruction - 10% more powerful, conjuration - all summons/raises are 10% stronger, Archery - Bows are 10% stronger

• 153 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:14 PM EDT

You could settle down and have a family then reset your skills, when the next skyrim problem (DLC) comes out you could raise your arms again and relearn your skills to save SKYRIM!!!

• 168 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:30 PM EDT

Good to know

Does anyone know if there's any statistical bonus to it though? Doesn't seem like Beth gave us much reason, if any, to even bother making a skill legendary.

• 365 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:33 PM EDT

Why do people play with no hud? you can't see your health/stamina/magicka to see when you need to take a potion?

• 1483 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:35 PM EDT

Because not everyone has Immersive HUD mod 

• 168 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:37 PM EDT

On consoles you can go into display settings and increase the HUD transparency to max and you can barely see it. I use it to hide the compass and just wander :P

• 365 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:40 PM EDT

Might have to download it ya' know.....what does it do? key-map the hud i suppose so you can turn it on/off at the press of a button yeah?

• 1483 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:45 PM EDT
    Yeah, you can also turn various elements of hud on or off and adjust transparency for individual elements. It supports SkyUI too
    • 661 posts
    April 8, 2013 8:46 PM EDT

DP this is the sole purpose of its creation in my opinion. I can also see the OP factor coming into play, I mean you can have as much magicka, health, or stamina as you want. It will help your Keerlith build survive that much harder.

• 106 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:30 AM EDT

I usually don't. But I like having no campus, and it adds immersion for me. If the screen is red and my heart is beating, then I need a potion.

• 661 posts
    April 9, 2013 12:41 AM EDT

OR need to get the F outta there!

• 7 posts
    April 9, 2013 10:59 PM EDT
    Now I could be wrong but wouldn't that increase lvl cap making the game easier if one was to reset skill, and like with dark elves and destruction magic would you reset to lvl 20 or 15?
    • 661 posts
    April 10, 2013 4:27 AM EDT

Om my God, Oh my God, Oh my God! I love it! Its everything I wanted! Skyrim makes so much sense now. The Battles feel as though they should be this long! I am loving my lvl 79 Altmer up! He is know 80! Looking forward to kicking the Ebony Warrior's ass!

The Ebony Blade doesnt seem any different. Does anybody have any concerns concerning that? I do, it seems like it is still faster than a 2 handed sword. I am not entirely sure yet. But I hope so, please confirm it! Been too long since I played Skrim I hardly remember what Master feels like and the swing of that Ebony Blade.