Forums » Elder Scrolls

Vent Discussion: What do you hate more than anything about Skyri

• 365 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:03 PM EDT

I'd like this disucssion to be where anyone and everyone can blow off some steam about something that really niggles you about TES:V.

Can be certain NPC's, bad perk usage, bad/stupid/strange/confusing quests, bad race/equipment aesthetics, certain skills or perks locked over the wrong side of perk trees, stupid or useless skills, not enough perks or skills, generic or bland miscellaneous quests, annoying or useless quest rewards.

Personally, for me it is bad and usless quest rewards. There is one that really got me, a certain Thieve's Guild Quest where you have to return to Maven afterwards and se says 'I am sure this will be more than satisfactory' after the reasonably difficult quest, and she gave me a Steel Sword of Frost with 5 points of Frost damage on it with about 15 damage, and I was level 16-19 or something....it happended to me a few times aswell.

What about you lot?

• 131 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:13 PM EDT

The really random and awful item spawns throughout the game. Not necessarily quest rewards but items you find in chests and laying around areas. Like when I'm playing a stealth character I'll find all these heavy armor items just laying around in one certain area; even the chest at the end is filled with warrior-type gear. Yet going there on a warrior I'll find loads of mage or thief equipment. Granted lately I've had much better luck with item spawns for all my characters.

Another thing that bugs me is the really awkward difficulty spikes that seem to happen in certain quests. Like for example the College of Winterhold storyline when you go to face Morokei in Labyrinthian. If you're playing as a pure mage this fight can take some time with his Staff of Magnus draining your magika. There just seems to be some quests in the game more geared towards a character that wouldn't normally be associated with that storyline.

• March 30, 2013 4:16 PM EDT

In reply to this,  Morokei is the challenge, just take cover, pop out, shoot, take cover shoot, it's pretty easy.

• 365 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:18 PM EDT

Skyler, I couldn't agree more, has happened to me more times than I can remember.

For example I was (about 4/5 months ago) playing something similar to a level 19 Pickpocket (70 in skill) and got countless scrolls, apprentice robes of illusion, a torch, a few gold, some potatoes and a lockpick.

yeah, thanks Bethesda, did a great job with the player specific gear there....those potatoes really help. cheers!  

• March 30, 2013 4:20 PM EDT
    The killcams! These bring out the ranter in me. They aren't cool looking (that headbutting one is particularly stupid), ranged ones will lie to you, and, uhh, hello? Enemies can killcam you out of nowhere!!! It ignores armor! I've ran pure health builds and kept my health above 50% and have still been killcammed! It breaks the game for me! I very rarely find an enemy I can't beat who doesn't spam killcams (the only ones were Morokei, some Archmages, Karstaag, and Zahkrisos). They particularly suck when I want to be 'dramatic' and kill an enemy with low health and as I dodge their attack, they end up just killcamming me! (/rant over).
  • March 30, 2013 4:22 PM EDT

I have quite a few tbh, I'll list in order of most annoyance to I can live with.

1. Reactions, You're the leader of everything, It should be recognized.
    2. Nothing other than racials and looks really separate races, 
    3. Master level chests and you get 9 gold and hide armour, it's master make it worth something.
    4. Disappointing questlines.
    5. More clothes and armour and spells

• 1 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:27 PM EDT
    Yea 3 is just not right I mean c'mon give us something good its master level give us a lot more gold than just 10 or 20 and better armor
    • 1483 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:29 PM EDT

I think it's intentional. Bethesda tried to make guild quests more difficult for characters with corresponding skills. That's why your magicka is drained when Morokei speaks to you in the process. It's mostly noticeable in mage quests and that's why they are my favorites. 

• 1483 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:31 PM EDT

Agreed! Especially when you play a DiD character! Fallout had a way to turn them off, they should've implemented this setting in Skyrim!

• 365 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:34 PM EDT

You're spot on with No.1 there Fang, leader and renowed slayer of all corruption and evil, and I get some guard coming up to me complaining to me about dropping my level 52 flawless dragonbone warhammer of the vampire wherever I feel like it.....

I think I have the choice where I want to drop my shit, thanks, it's not as though I didn't just save you and everyone else's arse from a fucking blood-starved crazed vampire on the hungry search of an elder scroll to block out the fucking sun or a dangerous practically immortal dragon overlord that wanted to fit Nirn inside it's massive fucking maw and devour the bloody planet.

I think I'll drop my warhammer here Mr. I'm-too-ungrateful Whiterun Guardy man.

• 28 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:35 PM EDT
    I like a lot bout Skyrim,but the thing I hate most is the cost for houses(silly thing, yes?).A plot is 5000,but to get a decent home is more money than Proudspire...

I also asked my brother this once and this is what he said:
    1)Interactions between characters/guilds
    2)Respect from NPCs as you level
    3)And Olaf Stonefist in Windhelm,my brother wants him to die...
    • 1483 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:36 PM EDT

Remember they were all adventurers like you... 

• 89 posts
    March 30, 2013 4:40 PM EDT
    I think they should have made better use of the lockpicking tree, it could have been implemented better. I hate that there is no unarmed tree...you got a wolf tree, a vamp tree, but no unarmed...WTF!
    • 1483 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:00 PM EDT

For me it would've been the bugs if not for Unofficial patches. Now it's equipment clipping like hide armor on skinny characters. The foot clips through armor 

• 291 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:01 PM EDT

I wasn't sure, and I typed out this list of grievances until, at last, I came to the one that annoys me most.  I can deal with stupid quest rewards, inefficient usage of perks, and silly AI...  I can handle most of my grievances and ignore them.  But this one really fills me with disappointment everytime I have to do it:

Having to purposefully handicap my characters so they don't become overpowered.

I hate that.  Completely useless and proves something is terribly wrong with the difficulty settings, NPC skills and perks (or lack thereof), balance of player damage vs NPC damage.  That just sums up a vast majority of my annoyances.  I should need to take every perk possible in order to ensure my character doesn't die.

• 1483 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:27 PM EDT

Yeah every skill tree makes you overpowered in some way if maxed up! I once thought Alteration is balanced - then I learned paralysis and that illusion was lost 

• 131 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:50 PM EDT

Maybe I just suck with magic characters 

• 131 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:51 PM EDT

He's talking about loot from chests and other various items laying around in certain areas. If it were about pickpocketing only you'd be right.

• 365 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:54 PM EDT

Correct Skyler, I didn't mean pickpocketing...Who carries around potatoes in their pockets anyway? Hobbits?

• 118 posts
    March 30, 2013 5:56 PM EDT
    The utter horsecrap side stepping enemies do where they jump 10 feet to the left and dodge your perfectly aimed STEALTH shot because, you know, they're psychic.
    • 377 posts
    March 30, 2013 6:11 PM EDT

No faction reputation, distinction, consequences. Go stand in font of Ulfric in full Imperial armor and see if cares. Faction distinctions and separations from each other were practically non-existent.

No consequences to choices. Quests were very very very linear, with no real 'other' options to finish quests.

• 35 posts
    March 30, 2013 8:01 PM EDT

Waiting through the intro sequence every time I want to start a new character XD

• 291 posts
    March 30, 2013 8:03 PM EDT

See, that's funny.  I've been thinking about starting a new character soon, and I could use Live Another Life to have a different start.  But I have a very hard time tearing myself away from that opening sequence.  It's the music and opening credits more than anything!

• 19 posts
    March 30, 2013 11:01 PM EDT

The level lock when you first enter a dungeon/fort whatever. It can sometimes make future quest easy.

• 1913 posts
    March 30, 2013 11:16 PM EDT
    Delphine... The black-briar family... Main quest line... Brynjolf not having enough to say (I want him as a follower!)... Playing a khajiit (again, I have no idea why... I just start getting angry for no reason...)... More ideas will come to me later