Forums » Elder Scrolls

Same Builds? Nope! Only drunken hostesses.

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 10:06 AM EDT

I know there was already a discussion about originality in builds, but if a build is kind of a slight rehash of another build will it be acknowledged and deleted?

• March 29, 2013 10:08 AM EDT

I suppose it depends how much like said build is like another one, if there isn't much difference I could see it happening, but I guess this is more for the CB hosts to decide.

• 1595 posts
    March 29, 2013 10:47 AM EDT

I had the same concerns when I joined but the guys here are really helpful and set me on the right track. Ben C and Nikolaj Poulsen were a great help, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked for their advice via private message.

Maybe if you have an idea about what keywords your build might be associated with you could search the site for similar builds? That would give you some idea about what you can do to make your build different.

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 10:53 AM EDT

I've never removed a build for being similar to another, not on purpose anyway...

It's bound to happen and most of the time it wasn't something the author went out of there way to do.

I have noticed that when someone is referencing other peoples builds in their discussion that they never do as well in the ranks because you're basically announcing the fact that you're just poaching ideas or playstyles from others. Name dropping doesn't win any points...

Some 'rules' are obviously un-written, starting a build by saying "This is a re-hash of The Demonhunter..." wouldn't get the post deleted but few people would bother taking it seriously and the Deathmatch would eventually eat it.

I've had one of my builds 'duplicated' in the past, same perks, race, equipment, backstory. It is a little annoying.

Someone once duplicated one of Pontys builds as well, they completely took the piss though! They even stole his characters in-game name and changed it by one letter!

• 1595 posts
    March 29, 2013 10:58 AM EDT

No way! Is that guy still around?

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 11:03 AM EDT

Ha! I don't think so, I wouldn't name drop even if they were...

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 4:49 PM EDT
    That's a good man, don't blame others nor point mistakes unnecessarily, it is the past.
    • 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 4:51 PM EDT
    I see, I feel that that's fair for builders, because really we gain some inspiration from other builds, even if it is greatly similar.
    • 365 posts
    March 29, 2013 4:55 PM EDT

Build Poachers are the worst kind....

One letter? really? What'd he do - make 'The Poladin ?' lol.

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:02 PM EDT

It wasn't his build title it was the actual original name that Ponty had used for his character...

(goes off to check)

It was his Witch build, he called his character "Fryssa" the other guy called his "Frysza" or something like that.

You had to be there I guess...

• 365 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:07 PM EDT

Mind you, if you make a good build you and Henson especially  you've got to watch out for build/idea/name stealers.

Just imagine 'The Tong Mo' or 'The Namasis'

• 490 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:12 PM EDT

What about ... The Nemosis? ...

I'll show myself out ...

• 1483 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:19 PM EDT

Race: Argonian with red scales

Major skills: Sneak

Roleplay: Swimming in the Sea of Ghosts

• 708 posts
    March 29, 2013 5:29 PM EDT

Profile like for you, sir

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:16 PM EDT

Oh Mason, I can't believe I haven't pointed this out to you yet. Your Fallen Hero build profile picture is a edit of another picture.

WHERE WILL YOU RUN NOW!!! YOUR SECRET IS OUT, GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR!

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:26 PM EDT

I have a similar fear. I feel when I post a build, the style may be a copy or too weak to be the next-big-thing. Including by Ben, (to Ben) I fear your criticism. You seem to be a tad bit harsh, I can commend you, and hide from you. You bring a strange vibe of encouragement. I guess you could take that as a compliment.

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:27 PM EDT

Lol, prat...

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

.....You can have the chocolate factory now....

• 708 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:33 PM EDT

On the topic of this I was over at a friends place yesterday, he had a load of his Magic: The Gathering stuff out.

Seems a whole load of build artwork comes from there.

• 708 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:36 PM EDT

I've had that issue a bit in the past. I start thinking "It's got this from this build, that from that..." when I get up to 4 I usually figure it's unique enough!

If you look at my Skystrider it's pretty similar to Mason's Volkihar, though how stuff is used makes it play quite differently. I wouldn't really bother yourself if you've got the same skillset as someone else; it's how you use your skills/weapons/spells/shouts that matters.

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:37 PM EDT

The Magic: The Gathering card artwork works for great build pictures. It's a good alternative to real screenshots.

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:38 PM EDT

Yep! MTG has a ton of great piccies, I think Henson is a fan as well as snakes...

The Nemesis is all MTG. I got lucky with that one because if I hadn't found those images I probably wouldn't have posted.

• 708 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:40 PM EDT

Yeah he was one of the ones I spotted!

Not saying it's a bad thing, just thought it was interesting!

• 19 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:42 PM EDT

I saw you have like 4 images of the same character.
    I might use these ones in a build. I don't know if there are more, because these may not be from MTG.

• 739 posts
    March 29, 2013 7:44 PM EDT

Artwork is great for inspiration, I found this little site a few months back that has absolutely tons of little images that are perfect for illustrating builds...

LINK