Forums » Elder Scrolls

dark souls

• March 26, 2013 6:33 PM EDT

Hello everyone. Ive heard dark souls is a good game. I'm pondering whether or not to buy it. But I don't know if if its worth it. So could you guys help me out here? Is dark souls worth it?

• 3 posts
    March 26, 2013 6:38 PM EDT

I ended upt liking it as much as Skyrim, although they are different. Combat is a bit deeper, there's a lot more of equipments with a smithing system, and the game is a lot harder. Builds are stat driven (strengh, dexterity, etc). You have a big world but not much to do in it other them beat the enemies.

• March 26, 2013 6:44 PM EDT

Okay I like a challenge. Anyway how is the magic combat system. The spells and how effective they are. /6Additionally, I love mage gameplay. How do they fare up in this game?

• 3 posts
    March 26, 2013 6:56 PM EDT

I don't know it in depth because I usually don't play mages  at least gameplay wise, but I remember some things about the mechanic

There are 3 types of magic: pyromancy, arcane and "holy" (not sure if that's the name). Arcane depend on the Inteligence stat for damage, "Holy" on Faith, and as far as I remember dexterity slightly fasten their cast time. There is also a stat called "attunement", that you use to get more slots for magic. You have a limited number of casts for each magic, so there's no "mana" stat, but you can have more casts if you equip more than one of the same magic. You also have to hold a wand for arcane and a charm for "holy" in place of one weapon or shield. Pyromancy doesn't request that, but it also haves a fixed damage that doesn't level with any stat.

That's what I can remember for now

• 952 posts
    March 26, 2013 7:03 PM EDT

Tygravius has a nice thread about this game, and quite some members on this site have played it and replied there. If you go to his profile page and look which threads he has made you should be able to find it.

Edit: http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/forum/topics/dark-souls-a-new-level-of-gaming

• 577 posts
    March 26, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

Do it, get it, play it, experience it!!!! I believe any true gamer should play this game and give it a go once!...

Visit Lordran and may the Flames guide thee

• 89 posts
    March 26, 2013 10:18 PM EDT
    Dark souls is a really good game...although I preferred the first one Demon Souls.
    • 577 posts
    March 26, 2013 10:26 PM EDT

Did you play DmS first? That's usually the case. Just like with TES games, the first one you experience is the one you'll prefer or love. Hence my love for Oblivion over Skyrim

• 52 posts
    March 26, 2013 10:34 PM EDT
    If I were you I'd just wait for DS2 when I comes out, trailer came out a while a go.
    • 89 posts
    March 26, 2013 10:37 PM EDT
    I guess you could be right, but I thought the first was really well put together. As far as TES goes I could go either way.