Forums » Elder Scrolls

What unique weapons don't need soul gems to recharge them ?

• 29 posts
    March 24, 2013 12:46 PM EDT

I'm playing a Bosmer and plan on sticking to green pact and also not using soul gems, due to them not liking necromancy or the use of soul gems because of it.

The weapons that I can think of that come to mind are - Vladr's dagger, Mehrunes Razor, Skull of Corruption, Ebony Blade, Dawnguard rune axe and Hammer, Trollsbane, Hoksbane, Wuuthrad and Windshear. 

Does Bloodskal blade need recharging and does anyone know any other weapons (especially bows and staffs).

• 29 posts
    March 24, 2013 12:50 PM EDT

Thanks, just thought of Zephyr as well.

• 1483 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:30 PM EDT

I beleive Drainheart Sword, Drainspell Bow, Drainblood Battleaxe from Labyrinthian don't use charges. Ghostblade and Poacher's Axe too 

• 29 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:40 PM EDT

Oh yeah forgot about them 

• 80 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:54 PM EDT

I think all those, except the ghostblade, have charges.

Back on topic.

The ebony blade, windshear, and the dawnguard rune weapons

• 1483 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:57 PM EDT

Yeah, just tested that, sorry 

• 1483 posts
    March 24, 2013 2:06 PM EDT

The Wabbajack has charges. Sanguine Rose too.

• 189 posts
    March 24, 2013 2:12 PM EDT

Keening doesn't need to be recharged if you have around 25% Fortify Destruction enchantments.  It's kind of unique in that it only has one charge, and cannot be recharged.  But by getting a degree of Fortify Destruction, you can trick the game into thinking the cost is 0, which allows it to be used indefinitely.  For most weapons, you'd need 100% Fortify Destruction, but because of Keening's unique 1 cost / 0 charge state, you only need enough to get the game to round down the 1 cost to 0.  I'm not sure exactly where that cutoff is, but I know it's around 25%, if not lower.  Its effect is pretty nasty, it has a cool backstory, and it would probably fit as an emergency melee weapon for a bowman/staff wielder.

Another one I didn't see mentioned yet is The Longhammer.  Maybe not ideal for your build, but one of the best two handed weapons in the game if you're looking at damage per second. I'm fairly certain it's not technically an enchantment either, which means you could add another enchantment on top of it, or temper it without picking up the Arcane Blacksmith perk.

Also, Silver Swords and Silver Greatswords are in the same boat.  Constant non-enchantment effect.  They cannot be tempered though.

• 29 posts
    March 24, 2013 6:28 PM EDT

I thought Keening was 100% destruction reduction, if it isn't that's good to know. Never tried the Longhammer, it weighs 8 less than a regular orcish warhammer and according to wiki it can swing as fast as a one-handed weapon, is that true?

If it is, that sounds like it could be a real useful weapon .

• 66 posts
    March 24, 2013 9:49 PM EDT

haha I loved poacher's axe, brilliant weapon for role-play

I wish there was a similar enchant on a hunting bow somewhere. modders take note .

• 189 posts
    March 24, 2013 10:17 PM EDT

It swings about as fast as a Silver Greatsword, which is the fastest two handed weapon in the game to my knowledge (maybe excluding the Bound Battleaxe).  It has the highest DPS of any hammer, and possibly any two handed weapon period.  And yeah, since it's not technically an enchantment, you can temper it, and combine with Elemental Fury, to get oodles of DPS output.

I haven't done any real testing with Keening; my basis for recommending it is from a thread in the discussion page for the Keening UESP article.  You might want to run a few tests yourself rather than just take my word for it, but the guy on UESP seemed pretty credible to me.

• 8 posts
    March 24, 2013 11:25 PM EDT

Granted I haven't used this item much, but I seem to recall the Skull of Corruption consuming charges when I used it, can anyone shed some light on this?

• 7 posts
    March 25, 2013 3:10 AM EDT

just remember that if you use elemental fury (because wood elves believe in ''kynareth'') you should not use any enchanted items wich need soul gems to fill. so it could work with longhammer (though not on wuuthrad, bloodskal, ebony blade, rune weaponry etc.)

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 4:10 AM EDT

There is the "bow of the hunt" it needs recharging according to wiki though, but it does 20 extra damage to animals.

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 4:12 AM EDT

I thought it was just dreams that charged it, sucks if it needs dreams and soul gems 

• 1483 posts
    March 25, 2013 7:01 AM EDT

Yeah it consumes charges. You need to charge it both with souls and dreams.

• 1483 posts
    March 25, 2013 7:17 AM EDT

It works with Wuuthrad 

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 7:19 AM EDT

Just makes that staff suck even more then 

• 1483 posts
    March 25, 2013 7:23 AM EDT

Agreed! Looks cool though 

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 7:40 AM EDT

yeah such a shame it isn't better stat-wise and such an hassle to get dreams all time, especially being a daedric artifact it is quite underwhelming. But I have to agree on the looks, It's the best looking staff in the game imo.

• March 25, 2013 9:03 AM EDT

So, does it work with the bloodskal blade, too?

• 1483 posts
    March 25, 2013 9:04 AM EDT

No, only on Wuuthrad.

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 9:05 AM EDT

That could be a nice combination, if it can do the energy blast with elemental fury 

• 29 posts
    March 25, 2013 9:06 AM EDT

oh, that's a shame