Forums » Elder Scrolls

Atromancy vs Necromancy, Which one do you prefer?

• 127 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:07 PM EDT

Let's talk about which one is the most powerful. Also, no saying " Dremora Lord is the best " only these two.

I like Atromancy more I think, because it doesn't require a body you just cast it, you can cast it anywhere, before the fight, they can use both melee and ranged attacks and they look cool.

Necromancy is powerful after Dead Thrall but I don't like it, sure I like the concept and the coolness but still it requires a body, right body.

Let's discuss!

• 168 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:15 PM EDT
    I prefer Atromancy because I think elemental summons are cool, but I have one character who uses necromancy solely to have Wyndelius Gatharian as a follower.
    • 1913 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:15 PM EDT
    I prefer Atronachs. No need to find bodies when I can just make a bodyguard.
    • 127 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:26 PM EDT

Yes, that's why I also like Atromancy. I don't use Atronachs though.
    I usually summon mistman and ash spawn. They're not atronachs but they're summons so I think they fall under Atromancy.

• 127 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:30 PM EDT

I use him do duplicate Philter of the Phantom. If you use Necromancy I suggest Malkoran at Meridia's Temple because when he dies his shade appears and also gives gold when dead.

• 1483 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:39 PM EDT
    Atromancy is easier to control and immunities of the atronachs are really helpful in dragon fights. But somehow I prefer Necromancy. There is some strange satisfaction when the enemy you've slain is now attacking his former allies doing your bidding :)) That's why I love Illusion too :D
    • 490 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:39 PM EDT

Necromancy! Sure, atronachs are easier to use in a pinch, but nothing cooler than raising your slain foes.

• 1913 posts
    March 23, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
    The only atronach I use is the ice one... From my experience, the only good one is the ice one. Plus I use demoralizing lords and ask spawn
    • 127 posts
    March 23, 2013 5:01 PM EDT

Fire one is the ranged helper, ice one is the tank, storm one is jack of all trades.
    Are you on mobile, I think you just got autocorrected. Demoralizing lords and ask spawn hehe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 127 posts
    March 23, 2013 5:07 PM EDT

That's why I can't decide between coolness+power or more coolness.

• 47 posts
    March 23, 2013 10:40 PM EDT

I'm very much a conjuration mage, and I have never once used Necromancy in 528 hours of gaming. Never will, either. It's just horrible, for a start - my character (and his predecessor) would never use such debased magics. Luckily I love the elemental Atronachs - well, two of them. I love the Flame Atronach because she has good range, which can be useful in clearing rooms with high walkways or in getting the attention of flying dragons; also, I think she is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game. I'm also fond of the Frost Atronach, partly because I largely play as a frost mage but also because I find him very useful in caverns and dungeons - conjure him in front of you, and no-one can get past him in tight corridors to get at you. And I enjoy his big lumbering footsteps behind me when travelling, too. I've never really taken to the Storm Atronach - I remember being disappointed when I first saw him (Storm Atronach? He's made of rocks!) and I have never really got over that. He has his uses.

Also, I love my insanely aggressive Dremora Lords. I'm saying that, and you can't stop me.

• 168 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:08 AM EDT
    Eh, I like Wyndelius because he doesn't moan and changes back to ghost form when revived. The character with Wyndelius uses Arniel as a second summon, together they are very powerful mages.

Another great perk to having Dead Thrall means you don't have to worry about your follower dying, since you can repeatedly ressurect them. Only downside is the change in voice lol.
  • March 24, 2013 2:40 AM EDT

With Dawnguard, Necromancy is way better than Atromancy. The AI of the Soul Cain summons is just far less stupid than the atronachs, and Dead Thrall are way better than Atronach Thralls later on.

• 153 posts
    March 24, 2013 3:21 AM EDT

Necromancy all the way!!!

Atronachs are based off elements and are weaker to one of them but amuse to the opposite one.

Necromancy on the other hand is equal to each element and doesn't have a weakness.

Another pro of necromancy is that you can raise any body so that is much better than summoning an element.

Finally, in your first comment u say that there is no range with undead. This is false as u can raise a dead archer or (for those great necromancers) a summoning from soul cairn... this is actually not Atromancy. 

• 1483 posts
    March 24, 2013 6:25 AM EDT
    You can also heal your zombies with Necromantic Healing or Heal Undead spells - something you can't do with the atronachs
    • 153 posts
    March 24, 2013 6:27 AM EDT

Necromancy FTW!

• March 24, 2013 7:49 AM EDT

Soul Cairn Summons for me. Bonemans and Mistmans are great ranged attackers, while Wrathmans are tanks that do tons of damage. So, that means Necromancy of course.

• 409 posts
    March 24, 2013 8:59 AM EDT

It really depends on what I'm roleplaying. But if I had to choose I would say atromancy just because necromany is unreiable unless you are using soul cairn summons.

• 127 posts
    March 24, 2013 10:22 AM EDT

You can just summon one again, they don't turn to ash. Necromancy is good after Dead Thrall spell.

• 127 posts
    March 24, 2013 10:22 AM EDT

My Atronachs can kill Soul Cairn summons...

• March 24, 2013 1:04 PM EDT

False.

• 80 posts
    March 24, 2013 1:45 PM EDT

Necromancy. The spells are cheaper to cast, provide a temporary storage chest and, with the Soul Cairn Summons, have range and melee fighters that can be healed with necromantic healing/heal undead

Atronachs are too bulky to fit in tight spaces (least the frost and storm atronachs are) and have a terrible AI which, more often than not, results in them not holding aggro with the frost atronach being the the only exception.

• 127 posts
    March 24, 2013 3:40 PM EDT

One word eh? Explain how they can't or don't write at all.

• 20 posts
    March 24, 2013 6:17 PM EDT

The new summons in the Soul Carin are sweet. Before, I would only use Atronmancy because it's predicable and you know what you're getting every time you use it. When you raise some dead with Necromancy, sometimes you raise a bandit who will just use their fists and others who use their weapon. 

• 127 posts
    March 24, 2013 6:52 PM EDT

Sure Soul Cairn summons are sweet but I just made my Storm Atronach and Wrathman fight each other. Sure Wrathman is owerful but still Storm Atronach won. Because when its is low on health it starts fleeing into a safe distance regaining some health and use ranged spells and repeat it until it has enough health then goes into melee does a lot of stuns. But the winner was Storm Atronach.
    I was actually going to name this thread 'Summons or Necromancy' but Atromancy seemed a bit cooler.