Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is the Gaming industry at an end?

• 158 posts
    March 16, 2013 3:26 AM EDT

This video adds a very interesting insight into the gaming industries future, by looking at it's past. Should there be another gaming industry crisis, would we pull out of it again and go back to when serious thought was put into a majority of games, rather than rushed products designed to leech as much money as possible?

• March 16, 2013 4:53 AM EDT

This is far too narrow minded, you do realise there's far more games than just CoD or LoL and so on and so on... so many artistic games are created every year, if you know how to find them you realise there's a lot going on.

Limbo, Braid, Amnesia, Journey, Shadow of the Colossus.. just a few outstanding examples many people have heard of, but games like these, there's thousands. Even some people over at Newgrounds, amateur flash designers, enjoy creating non-profit oriented games.

• 158 posts
    March 16, 2013 5:00 AM EDT

Yes, that is completely true, but gems like those are often (not always) buried. From what I take from it, he was not intending to say all games were lacking in quality and creativity in design, but rather, pivotal games/series` were lacking in those things. If the amazing amateur flash designer games got as much attention and profit as COD, this may be a very different situation, but the truth is, they don't. Actually, I believe he addresses just that point somewhere in the video. That in 1983 when the gaming industry went into a sort of recession, it was good games being overlooked because of bad games, turning public opinion against most games altogether, good or bad. Then, Nintendo stepped in and started to market there games as toys rather than video games, to break free of the negative connotations associated with gaming at the time.

• 88 posts
    March 16, 2013 6:06 AM EDT

I think I hear about the gaming industry crashing every few months. There are plenty of clever and interesting games out there, especially among indie titles which is gaining in popularity fast. 

• March 16, 2013 6:35 AM EDT

If anyhting the game industry is starting to get back on their feet. Yes they'll make mistakes sometimes but some awesome game companies are still loyal to their ORGINAL fans, not these little spoiled Brats that think cod is a way of life.

• 41 posts
    March 16, 2013 7:51 AM EDT

I`m old enough to remember all the various games and consoles from the late 70`s and early 80`s    My first console was the original Nintendo, and the RPG`s back then were actually far superior to any other consoles poor attempts at the time. I can still remember Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 2,3,4 etc  these were all good games, so I would say that Nintendo made a bigger effort than most to turn the industry around.

I agree with him regarding EA though, all of their games are utterly appalling, and are nothing more than money making scams. Both Fifa and Tiger Woods games are just the same tired and re-hashed rubbish from the last poor attempt. Mass Effect 3 was the most disappointing and poor attempt at a game I`ve seen in some time, same goes for Dungeon Siege 3, yet the original trailer for it made the game look excellent, but when you played the game - it was nothing like the trailer at all.

As for COD, Modern Warfare etc...these are by far the worst and biggest rip-offs known to mankind. Simply awful games that churn out the same tired nonsense every time without fail -  the same elite American unit, wearing the same combat gear, firing the same guns, doing more or less the same missions, killing the same poor Arab terrorists every single game without fail. No thought or imagination of any kind goes into them, yet people are so easily sucked in by them     But thankfully there is still plenty of good games and companies out there trying to make difference, so hopefully the industry won`t die anytime soon

• 153 posts
    March 16, 2013 8:45 AM EDT

thats why I didn't 

• 1913 posts
    March 16, 2013 11:43 AM EDT
    I love the power glove... It's so bad :P
    • 409 posts
    March 16, 2013 11:44 AM EDT
    Interesting while I don not agree with a lot of it I must say some points are being made. Like the fact that a lot of companies are putting out a lot of ill though out games and DLC (for a lot of games anyway) are nothing more than a cash cow for unfinished games. This however is not true for all games. Companies like Bethesda and Rockstar have great DLC like dragonborn for Skyrim and The ballad of gay tony for GTA 4.