Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is your favorite weapon and/or armor from the Dragonborn DL

• 189 posts
    March 6, 2013 2:40 AM EST

Howdy, guys!  Haven't been around much since around early November, and in that time, I have been as inactive in Skyrim itself as I have been on the blog.  Consequently, I completely missed out on the Dragonborn DLC.  I recently started a new playthrough of Fallout 3, and it's made me want to make a new character in Skyrim.  I've been thinking about picking up the Dragonborn DLC and playing through that, with a new character built from scratch.  One thing I really want to try is to use new weapons and armor from the DLC, and ideally, to build around a single armor set, and one or two specific weapons.  But since I haven't played it yet, I have no clue what looks best and/or what is most effective.

That's where you come in.  Please recommend one or two armor sets, and one or two weapons, from the Dragonborn DLC, that you like most.  I'm primarily concerned with aesthetic value here; I know enough about character building to make anything viable in combat.  Also, if you think there's an unarmored outfit added in the DLC that just looks absolutely incredible, post it here too and maybe I'll make it an unarmored build.  As of now, I'm planning on using some type of armor though.

tl;dr - Post your favorite weapon/armor from the Dragonborn DLC!

• 34 posts
    March 6, 2013 3:45 AM EST

Telvanni robes!

• 1595 posts
    March 9, 2013 2:25 PM EST

Ok I'll bite. Miraak's Staff is an absolute beast agianst humanoid enemies like bandits or Draugr. I was playing thorugh Skuldafn recently and at that last section just before you fight the Dragon Priest I was beset by Deathlords and Scourges but it wasn't a problem when using the staff. A circle of tentacles kept me safe while I used some Guardian Circle scrolls and Firebreath shouts.

• 29 posts
    March 9, 2013 4:15 PM EST

Bound daggers even though they are a spell, makes a conjuration assassin all the more appealing imo. I like the skaal hunter armour, it's just a shame it can't be smithed stronger. Which is a strange thing to do by Bethesda imo.

• 1483 posts
    March 9, 2013 5:21 PM EST
    My favorite armor is skaal coat. Looks very comfy and warm :) As for the weapons I really like the look of the Stahlrim Mace.
  • March 9, 2013 5:30 PM EST

I really like the look of Nordic weapons, the sword specifically. Who cares that it's effectively Elven and requires another perk to get? It looks awesome. Too bad there's no light armor version of Nordic Carved, that would look great. Weapon #2 would be the Bloodskal Blade just because of its power attack effect. I fyou don't know what that is yet then you are in for a treat sir.

Armor-wise the Chitin light armor has a nice look to it, equally suited for mountains of ash and the southern forests of Skyrim. It's as good as Elven I think, and a LOT easier to craft if you're like me and don't loot gold or sell things. Stalhrim looks okay as well, and has the added benefit of being in Light and Heavy varieties, so you can take the right arm of the smithing tree and have light armor before hitting Dragon Smithing.

It's not entirely unarmored but the Dragon Cultist armor looks really good without the mask. Two of the pieces are armor I believe, and the rest is clothing. The draconic plates along the left arm look especially cool.

• 1 posts
    March 9, 2013 6:43 PM EST

Oooh I'd have to say the Chitin Light Armor, and my weapon? Hmmm.... Yeah I'll agree with everyone else: Miraak's Staff

• 23 posts
    March 9, 2013 7:05 PM EST

Armor probably stalhrim and ancient nordic carved they're both just so beautiful, as for weapons i reccomend either the bloodskal blade or the champions cudgel both are 2h weapons

• 5 posts
    March 9, 2013 8:54 PM EST

Bloodskal Blade is my personal favorite weapon and I love the look of the bonemold armor. Miraak's staff is good and I would use it more if it wasn't for the awful sound it made.

• 409 posts
    March 9, 2013 10:01 PM EST
    Favorite Robes: Telvanni robes
    Favorite Light Armor: Blackguard set
    Favorite Heavy Armor: Stahlrim armor
    Favorite weapon: Miraaks sword and staff
    • 62 posts
    March 10, 2013 2:55 PM EDT

I haven't actually played Dragonborn yet, but I've watched and read a lot about it. The sets of armor I'm most excited about trying are the Chitin light armor set and the Nordic Carved set. The Nordic looks fabulous, and the Chitin looks to me like the perfect armor for a bounty hunter or a Redguard nomad.

• 8 posts
    June 3, 2014 2:50 PM EDT

my favorite weapon would have to be the bloodskall blade, that energy wave generated from power attacks is just so cool  Just a shame that i pretty much always play assassins or archers, so i haven't used it much  and, in response to the majority of other comments on here, i'm actually not too keen on miirak's staff, but that's just because i don;t use staffs very much  The dwarven black bow of fate is my favorite that i actually use  and my favorite armor would definitely be the blackguards armor, combined with the dwarven black bow of fate, i just love the look!

• 118 posts
    June 3, 2014 4:16 PM EDT

The staff is completely OP if used correctly!

For example, if you are in a corridor if you draw a line from wall to wall then no enemies are able to cross it to get to you (staggers thema nd knocks them back) allowing you to either use ranged attacks to kill them or, as I love to use it, run the hell away from Deathlords!

Blackguard is my favourite armour as well.  The best part of it is you can get the full set at a very low level and the enchantments are amazing.  I always used the Guildmaster armour rather than Nightingale since it is so amazing but I now use Blackguard. 

• 585 posts
    June 3, 2014 4:35 PM EDT
    Stalhrim for everything!
    • 189 posts
    June 3, 2014 5:22 PM EDT

Has anyone mentioned Miraak's Sword yet? I gotta say, that's a pretty good one too. Beautiful unique model, and Absorb Stamina is one of the more useful enchanting effects in the game. It effectively provides endless power attacks, and therefore endless stun locking.

• 189 posts
    June 3, 2014 5:35 PM EDT

UESP says 25 uses by default. You should be able modify that by wearing Fortify Destruction apparel though. With four pieces @ 25% Fortify Destruction, it would never lose its charge.... With three pieces at the same magnitude, it'd last for 100 uses. I believe that improving your character's Destruction skill level will also decrease the charge/cost per hit, but I'm not positive on that one.

• 8 posts
    June 3, 2014 6:30 PM EDT

i don't doubt that the staff is over-powered, i just don't like staves  and i feel that the nightingale armor is a bit more aimed at assassins than thieves, and the guild masters armor looks better too, in my opinion, i just prefer that style to the slickness of the nightingale set. Nightingale armor with the guild masters chest-piece looks great to me too 

• 8 posts
    June 3, 2014 6:32 PM EDT

i looked it up and apparently that is correct, a higher destruction skill makes for more charges on enchanted weapons and staves 

• 70 posts
    June 6, 2014 9:53 AM EDT

I love the look of both Skaal and Nordic armours, they look the best suited to a cold place like Skyrim. As for weapons I would have to go with the Nordic carved again, probably the dagger or axe.